Lucy and the Gang on the Big Screen!

Not movies, but TV: The Paley Center will be screening one of Lucy's most bizarre TV appearances - The Zsa Zsa Gabor Show; as well as The Victor Borge Comedy Theatre with Gale on April 2 & 9.

Grounded Pilots

Sundays, April 2, 9

12:15 to 4:00 pm

It’s pilot season! Each year dozens of television pilots are produced in hopes of landing on the networks' schedule; a majority of which are never seen by the public. The Paley Center is happy to present some of the weird, the wild, and the wonderful unsold television pilots of the past from our collection. Our selected curios feature stars before they were famous, incredible behind-the-scenes talent, and Gabors galore! Decide for yourself if these programs should have gone on to become long-running hits.

12:15pm

Inside O.U.T. (1971)

Bill Daily, Alan Oppenheimer, Mike Henry, and Farrah Fawcett star in this spy spoof as agents from the Office of Unusual Tactics (O.U.T.). Six years after its initial airing, NBC rebroadcast the pilot in 1977 at the height of “Farrah-mania.” (28 minutes)

12:44 pm

The Michele Lee Show (1974)

In this sitcom pitch, Michele Lee stars as an unlucky-in love-newsstand worker. (33 minutes)

1:18 pm

The Victor Borge Comedy Theatre (1962)

Desilu Productions created this proposed anthology series to utilize the comedic and musical talents of Victor Borge. Borge introduces comedic scenes; two of which were excerpts from previously unsold Desilu productions. Suzuki Beane stars Katie Sweet as a child beatnik who ends up bonding with a rich classmate (Jimmy Garrett) and The Sound and the Fidelity features Tom Ewell as a Hi-Fi obsessive. A new sketch, directed by Desi Arnaz, stars Lucille Ball as a first time flier on an airplane who drives seatmate Gale Gordon crazy. (41 minutes)

2:00 pm

The Zsa Zsa Gabor Show (1969)

Hostess Zsa Zsa Gabor welcomes Lucille Ball, Adam West, and Marty Allen as her guests in this unique talk show pilot. (35 minutes)

2:35 pm

Mickey and the Contessa (1963)

A widowed college football coach (Mickey Shaughnessy) hires a housekeeper sight unseen and is surprised when his new employee turns out to be a glamorous Contessa (Eva Gabor). (29 minutes)

3:05 pm

The Sheriff and the Astronaut (1983)

Alec Baldwin is the sheriff and Ann Gillespie is the astronaut in this drama about a couple on the hunt for a murderer killing off members of a prestigious family. (51 minutes)

3:57 pm

Lefty (2002)

Sylvester Stallone created this drama about a Gulf War veteran (Danny Nucci) who becomes an unconventional priest in Florida. Viola Davis costars as Sister Maggie. (35 minutes)

https://www.paleycenter.org/weekend-screenings-2017/

• Like 1

Not movies, but TV: The Paley Center will be screening one of Lucy's most bizarre TV appearances - The Zsa Zsa Gabor Show; as well as The Victor Borge Comedy Theatre with Gale on April 2 & 9.

https://www.paleycenter.org/weekend-screenings-2017/

Thanks!

Struck me that some of these "plots" could have been dreamed up by Brian!! :blink:

A few days ago I was describing something to a friend as "Unique and interesting", but my LucyBrain© jumped in and "Unique and euphonious" came out of my mouth. It was at that moment I realized I really didn't know what Euphonius meant!

:HALKING:

euphonious

[yoo-foh-nee-uh s]

adjective
pleasant in sound; agreeable to the ear; characterized by euphony:
a sweet, euphonious voice.

:lucythrill:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Lincoln Center is doing a Fred & Ginger film festival (I worship the very ground they tap dance on!) and I saw Top Hat and Follow the Fleet last night. The packed audience didn't realize that was Lucy in Top Hat until after the movie when the director of the Film Society of Lincoln Center mentioned Lucy was the flower shop clerk. Then the audience gasped. Lucy got entrance applause and a lot of laughs in Follow the Fleet. Tomorrow is Roberta!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I went to a surprisingly very well attended screening of Joy of Living at the Museum of Modern Art this afternoon. I loved hearing the murmurs of "Lucille Ball!" during the opening credits and Lucy's first appearance. My favorite audience member was the man behind me who said, three minutes before the end of the movie, "That's Lucille Ball!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brock said:

Did you get any sense of what the main draw was for people in the audience?

I really don't know. It was part of a Douglas Fairbanks Jr.  retrospective, but I don't know if that was the main draw. MOMA has a large membership and frequent afternoon screenings, so maybe a lot of people just see everything there. 

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I saw a screening of Easy Living at Lincoln Center. Another big crowd. The picture would have been so much more interesting if they had kept Lucy in the Lizabeth Scott role as she was originally cast. Neither role is really  the type of role she usually played, so it would have been much more fun if she had played the bad girl. 

The happy ending where Victor Mature slaps Lizabeth Scott received uproarious laughter from the audience that continued as they filed out of the theater.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a Lucy Big Screen drought in Toronto for many years, but it's pouring in the first quarter with a screening of Dance, Girl, Dance at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) on Saturday as part of a Dorothy Arzner retrospective, and no less than two separate screenings of Stage Door before March. The first is playing as part of the ongoing Designing the Movies film series which features guest speakers on costume and production design, and the second is again at TIFF as part of their Katharine Hepburn retrospective. Without Love is not part of the series, alas.

20 hours ago, Brock said:

Dance, Girl, Dance played to a nearly sold out crowd this afternoon. The audience was enraptured by LB and there was excited chatter every time Bubbles was back on the screen. :D 

Great to hear she went over so well. I get kinda "tingly" hearing any postitive feedback like this about her, especially when it's related to something pre ILL that some still have no idea about or exposure to.  Yeah! :peachonthebeach: