"We Love Lucy"

JYuhas

I don't know who ran the theme song through helium.

"We Love Lucy" was the original title of the 3 syndicated specials produced in the late 80s, one hosted by Lucie and Danny thomas, another by Betty White and another by somebody else.  This was at a time when LDCH hadn't been seen since the last CBS airing in 1967 (except for a few markets), so they were indeed special.  Only problem was they crammed 3 episodes (plus on-camera intros)  into 2 hours.  I remember the first being Makes Room for Danny, Talullah and Milton Berle.  The entire rehearsal scene was left out of Talullah so the laughs in the actual "Queen's Lament" performance weren't quite as motivated.  Mercifully the Berle episode got the least airtime.  I don't remember what episode comprised the other two.  So a total of 9 of the 13 LDCH's were represented.  Does anyone know what were not shown?

For a time, Viacom was tacking these on to the end of the I Love Lucy syndication package as two-part episodes and entitled those We Love Lucy.

Ann Jillian was the other host. Her installment was made up of Lucy Hunts Uranium, Lucy Wins a Racehorse, and Lucy Wants a Career. Betty White's show was comprised of Lucy Goes to Sun Valley, Lucy Goes to Alaska, and The Ricardos Go to Japan. Episodes not included would be Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana, Lucy Goes to Mexico, Lucy's Summer Vacation, and Lucy Meets the Mustache.

You'd think "Havana" would have been part of one of the shows, if only for "That Means I Love You" and the jail scene.

And Ann Jillian: Her star shown brightly for a short period of time and then she was gone off the A-list.

Ann Jillian was the other host. Her installment was made up of Lucy Hunts Uranium, Lucy Wins a Racehorse, and Lucy Wants a Career. Betty White's show was comprised of Lucy Goes to Sun Valley, Lucy Goes to Alaska, and The Ricardos Go to Japan. Episodes not included would be Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana, Lucy Goes to Mexico, Lucy's Summer Vacation, and Lucy Meets the Mustache.

Caught a Hallmark channel marathon of the comedy hours last year.  They cut out the entire That Means I Love You song.  I tuned out right there.  What the hell.  It's the best moment in the episode and explains how they fell in love.

Reminds me of the time CBS crammed "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" into 2 hours, so they cut the best musical number "He's My Friend"...and this is from a movie musical that has very few songs, about 6. "TUMB" has probably the most truncated score in a stage to screen adaption since MGM would substitute entire scores.   It's leading lady has 2 songs, both at the beginning of the movie.   I was more familiar with the movie version when I heard the Broadway score, which is not tremendous, so nothing great was lost in the screen version.   "Friend" was added for the movie.  Though a bigger hit than "Wildcat", the latter has a much better score so I'm glad Lucy did it and not Molly, which she was considered for. Both shows opened on Broadway in December of 1960 and both were set in the year 1912.

I don't know who ran the theme song through helium.

"We Love Lucy" was the original title of the 3 syndicated specials produced in the late 80s, one hosted by Lucie and Danny thomas, another by Betty White and another by somebody else.  This was at a time when LDCH hadn't been seen since the last CBS airing in 1967 (except for a few markets), so they were indeed special.  Only problem was they crammed 3 episodes (plus on-camera intros)  into 2 hours.  I remember the first being Makes Room for Danny, Talullah and Milton Berle.  The entire rehearsal scene was left out of Talullah so the laughs in the actual "Queen's Lament" performance weren't quite as motivated.  Mercifully the Berle episode got the least airtime.  I don't remember what episode comprised the other two.  So a total of 9 of the 13 LDCH's were represented.  Does anyone know what were not shown?

For a time, Viacom was tacking these on to the end of the I Love Lucy syndication package as two-part episodes and entitled those We Love Lucy.

I think these credits are from the 26 half-hour versions of We Love Lucy that are part of the 205-episode I Love Lucy package that is aired in syndication in some markets.

I think these credits are from the 26 half-hour versions of We Love Lucy that are part of the 205-episode I Love Lucy package that is aired in syndication in some markets.

I remember watching these during summer vacation on LA's channel 11. The intro seemed very modern at the time and was very exciting to see. The music seemed new, the intro seemed new, and so did the shows- as I had never seen them, then.   It wasn't until Nick at Nite that I saw most of the shows in a fuller version, and they began to make sense- but this version was always exciting to see when coming on TV in the afternoon, because it seemed as if the show was rediscovered with these "new installments" lol

• Like 1

I've heard this, too, and I don't think he did.  If he had, we most definitely would've seen and/or heart about it, already.  Other than when the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour originally aired, the first time I remember seeing it was on the fox network, in the late 80's/early 90's.  I didn't know they were originally one hour shows, called The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I thought they were lost episodes, and called them We Love Lucy.  

I've heard this, too, and I don't think he did.  If he had, we most definitely would've seen and/or heart about it, already.  Other than when the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour originally aired, the first time I remember seeing it was on the fox network, in the late 80's/early 90's.  I didn't know they were originally one hour shows, called The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I thought they were lost episodes, and called them We Love Lucy.  

Actually the original title was "The Lucille Ball - Desi Arnaz Show" :)

• Like 1

A channel in Milwaukee aired The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour when I was a kid in the late 70s.  I remember a scene of Lucy playing the drums in competition with Ricky, and the scene where Lucy is locked into a suit of armor while she's smoking.  I don't have memories of any other hour long shows until the We Love Lucy specials aired.  I was so excited to see them in the TV listings!

This Milwaukee channel also aired the black and white episodes of Bewitched, years before Nick at Nite.  And during The Brady Bunch, they aired an original network promo for the episode "Out of This World."  I distinctly remember seeing Mrs. Brady, Bobby, and the two space aliens previewing the show.  I was flabbergasted to see this during a syndicated episode!  And I haven't found any evidence of this online.

• Like 2