"I Love Lucy" Complete DVD Series Set to be Releasd

tjw

CBS' I Love Lucy Facebook page -- and Amazon -- has listed a new repackaging of the I LOVE LUCY COMPLETE SERIES set... The exact release date is not specified, but I will try to find out...

The Amazon price is $79.99.

It is my understanding that this is merely a repackaging of the "Whole McGuillicuddy" set that they issued back in 2007. Everything will be included, but nothing new added...

http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-Lucy-Complete/dp/B013FCLEIG/?tag=cbcoofsiofcb-20

It seems odd they keep flooding the market with re-packages of previously released ILL material when they're also trying to sell something new and wonderful like the Season 2 Blu Ray.

I see your point, but DVD does still dominate over blu-ray in many homes, and releasing shelf friendly sets at lower prices for more budget conscious consumers seems to be a trend.

CBS' I Love Lucy Facebook page -- and Amazon -- has listed a new repackaging of the I LOVE LUCY COMPLETE SERIES set... The exact release date is not specified, but I will try to find out...

The Amazon price is $79.99.

It is my understanding that this is merely a repackaging of the "Whole McGuillicuddy" set that they issued back in 2007. Everything will be included, but nothing new added...

http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-Lucy-Complete/dp/B013FCLEIG/?tag=cbcoofsiofcb-20

I swear I made a post about how it would be cool if there was a cover like that...

If CBS stole my idea, I'm expecting some collateral (or a copy of the new set).

True that....hopefully the blu-rays will keep a'comin', especially for ILL (I don't see them happening for the subsequent series though...)... but this is happening with a lot of titles and not just on the CBS/Paramount home video label:  What with Sony licensing most of it's "previously released" titles out to Mill Creek -- which is putting the product out much cheaper albeit with more eps squeezed on a disc, thus less "clarity" but less discs required per package -- we'll soon have the 3rd legitimate release of "Complete Series Collections" of The Partridge Family, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gidget and who knows how many more (probably also Wings and god knows what else!)!!!

If only Sony had stuck with completing releases of Hazel, The Nanny, AITF, Maude, Jeffersons etc. we could have had all of their completes series boxes too (via Mill Creek) but at a fraction of the price Shout! is putting them out at (but grateful they are doing so -- don't get me wrong!!) :blink:

It all comes down to sales... Quite honestly, the Lucy blu-ray project is currently "on hold" as we wait to see the customer response to Season Two. If it does not sell well, there will not be a Season Three -- at least for a while.

But that's always been true, not only at CBS but with all the companies. It's only good business. When Gregg was doing the I LOVE LUCY dvd's, CBS pushed the "pause" button after almost every season. They did not want him to rush ahead and get two or three seasons finished, only to find out no one wanted them...

Which is exactly what happened with "Hazel" -- another of my all-time favorites.  I was so excited when Sony released Season One! Sony was excited, too -- they had already started work on Season Two and had nearly half the shows remastered and ready to go -- but apparently only a figurative handful of us bought Season One. It was a sales disaster, so the company pulled the plug.  Season Two (and the following seasons) would never had been released at all if Shout! Factory had not stepped in. They apparently can live with lower "return on investment" than some of the larger firms...

As for the future -- who knows. DVDs and Blu-rays do not seem to be where the public's head is at anymore. Younger people especially want to get things exclusively on-line. I'd hate to see "home video" go away... 

Certainly "classic TV on Blu-ray" does not seem to be a big seller -- for anyone. Obviously I love it because of its flexibility. It's allowed us to do so many nice things with the LUCY releases... But the format is designed primarily for big full-screen technicolor extravaganzas with stereophonic sound that taxes the capacity of the most expensive home theatre systems... 

So I don't know what the future will bring... 

Here's hoping!

• Like 1

I know this is getting a little "off topic" -- but in reference to my earlier post, I wanted to explain that I am not against streaming videos on line, per se -- but I hate that it seems to be de-railing the further development of "Home Video" products (DVDs, Blu-rays, etc.)

On line, the most we are normally offered are the TV programs themselves. There is no real revenue being generated by the individual series, so few dollars are being expended on producing new and interesting "special" or "bonus" features... And for me, those have always been the real joy of these video packages. 

• Like 2

tjw, on 09 Aug 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

I know this is getting a little "off topic" -- but in reference to my earlier post, I wanted to explain that I am not against streaming videos on line, per se -- but I hate that it seems to be de-railing the further development of "Home Video" products (DVDs, Blu-rays, etc.)

On line, the most we are normally offered are the TV programs themselves. There is no real revenue being generated by the individual series, so few dollars are being expended on producing new and interesting "special" or "bonus" features... And for me, those have always been the real joy of these video packages. 

I completely agree. Hard as this may be to believe for some, there are some areas where streaming video is not practical due to low or non-existent internet signals. I know some people in my hometown who still have dialup, and some are in rural enough areas that they receive no signal; they live in dead-zones. Coverage is not, and never will be, 100%. So physical media is vital to those who don't have unlimited internet access. Those individuals may not be the ones the studios want to market to, but they do exist and deserve access to physical media.

• Like 1

I completely agree. Hard as this may be to believe for some, there are some areas where streaming video is not practical due to low or non-existent internet signals. I know some people in my hometown who still have dialup, and some are in rural enough areas that they receive no signal; they live in dead-zones. Coverage is not, and never will be, 100%. So physical media is vital to those who don't have unlimited internet access. Those individuals may not be the ones the studios want to market to, but they do exist and deserve access to physical media.

One last thought about streaming video, and I'll shut up:  when it comes to I LOVE LUCY, I believe the most that are available -- at least at the moment -- are maybe 100 episodes (give or take)... The remaining episodes may never be released because they include MUSIC... Ricky or Lucy or someone singing a song, and that "third party music" has to be cleared (i.e., paid for) all over again... The music industry does not recognize streaming as a form of broadcasting or a form of home video. It's a third and separate media form, which means the music has to be "bought and paid for" all over again...

• Like 1

One last thought about streaming video, and I'll shut up:  when it comes to I LOVE LUCY, I believe the most that are available -- at least at the moment -- are maybe 100 episodes (give or take)... The remaining episodes may never be released because they include MUSIC... Ricky or Lucy or someone singing a song, and that "third party music" has to be cleared (i.e., paid for) all over again... The music industry does not recognize streaming as a form of broadcasting or a form of home video. It's a third and separate media form, which means the music has to be "bought and paid for" all over again...

That's interesting, that would never have occurred to me that it's considered a third form of media! Hmmm...

I guess I'm a weird (I know, surprise surprise!) "by-product" of days gone by loving physical media, (always have, always will) and lately am also considering cutting the ever-more-expensive "cable cord" and going with streaming (I don't think here in PS over the air TV reception via rabbit ears is very strong from what I understand, unfortunately) so more and more I feel sort of caught between two very different worlds: I've bought ILL for example in every form of hardware there is/was, including the WUNDAFUL new blu-rays (I format I embraced at its outset) and to have the latest and greatest, I don't mind blowing a few extra bucks to get it as I know it's value; however, it would help to be viable customer if only the product WAS TO BE FOUND ON THE SHELVES of "real" (Targets/Walmarts/Best Buys etc. etc.) DAMN STORES!!! I would have grabbed a copy -- even if priced a bit higher than what is to be found online -- just to be able to have it my hot little hands day & date of it's release.  Didn't happen, and believe me, I looked!

I realize I am no longer in a "major metropolitan area (LA)  where perhaps the Blu could be found (it certainly was with the last release of S1) sitting on -- not many, but still -- shelves but how is this media to succeed if retailers only put out "select" titles? I cringe when I go shopping and see what passes as a best seller -- I know my taste is not mainstream but still... there ought to be "something for everyone" without having to resort to Amazon and their competition. 

So now...I anxiously await the mailman for probably (but hopefully not) another week or so before I get to see what Tom & Company have meticulously assembled for our Lucy Libraries.  Can't wait! :HALKING:

• Like 1

Mr. Watson posts so infrequently, if you know him, ask him his take on the Comedy Center. 

I know his name was bantyed about he would be the perfect person to be Exec. Dir. after the BIG FIRE!   

But, he would also be the PERFECT answer to moderator for ALL future 'guests'

I'd love to hear his thoughts along these lines. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone -- and correct a statement I may have made earlier...

When we first started discussing this new "Full Series Set" re-issue, I assumed -- and probably stated -- that it was simply the old set in new packaging...

That is true, but only to a point:  one of the discs -- the "Bonus" disc -- will not be included this time.  All the regular I Love Lucy sets (Seasons 1-9) will be on board...

The bonus disc, if memory serves, was merely a reissue of the I LOVE LUCY: THE MOVIE disc, which included the movie, the colorized Scotland episode, clips from the 1949 Ed Wynn show, and the clips from the 1954 Emmy broadcast on which Viv and  the Arnazes pick up awards...

Technically, only the last two elements -- the Wynn and Emmy clips -- are the only items that will be missing from the CBS/Lucy canon -- the Scotland show is now available on the Christmas disc that also had the colorized Christmas episode and the colorized grape vat episode... And the movie was just released as part of the Season Two blu-ray set.

Just wanted to let everyone know, in case someone was thinking about handing off the original release to a friend, and replacing it with the new set...

Sorry...

Tjw

• Like 2

Just wanted to update everyone -- and correct a statement I may have made earlier...

When we first started discussing this new "Full Series Set" re-issue, I assumed -- and probably stated -- that it was simply the old set in new packaging...

That is true, but only to a point:  one of the discs -- the "Bonus" disc -- will not be included this time.  All the regular I Love Lucy sets (Seasons 1-9) will be on board...

The bonus disc, if memory serves, was merely a reissue of the I LOVE LUCY: THE MOVIE disc, which included the movie, the colorized Scotland episode, clips from the 1949 Ed Wynn show, and the clips from the 1954 Emmy broadcast on which Viv and  the Arnazes pick up awards...

Technically, only the last two elements -- the Wynn and Emmy clips -- are the only items that will be missing from the CBS/Lucy canon -- the Scotland show is now available on the Christmas disc that also had the colorized Christmas episode and the colorized grape vat episode... And the movie was just released as part of the Season Two blu-ray set.

Just wanted to let everyone know, in case someone was thinking about handing off the original release to a friend, and replacing it with the new set...

Sorry...

Tjw

Thanks for the update. Yay, a purely black and white collection :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The "new" Complete Series set came out on Tuesday, but I am not seeing it listed on Amazon... I did see it today in a Costco outlet, priced at $49.99. It is also available on sites like that of Critic's Choice Video (www.ccvideo.com). I believe  this last place has it for $62.86...