Cate Blanchett to star in Lucille Ball biopic written by Sorkin

Brock

Cate and Dame Julie discuss the Lucy Biopic:

• Cate's got the :lucyeww: down!
  • I am completely on board with Dame Jules taking on the role of Vivian Vance, as she proposes! (I hope she has an unreleased track of "My Hero" from The Chocolate Soldier in her archives somewhere)

My only worry is that Cate wins this year for Carol, as she'll surely be nominated. If she wins again, it would make a fourth award (for playing Lucy) difficult to achieve, since that would tie her for the record.

Not only "Carol" but her film with Robert Redford "Truth" is also generating some buzz.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been thinking about the Blanchett / Sorkin project.  My guess is that it will focus on Lucy in the 1950's during the heyday of I Love Lucy and that it will end around the time of Lucy and Desi's divorce.  No doubt, there were a lot of dramatic incidents which occurred during those years.

However ...

I think it would be equally interesting - perhaps moreso - to have the project focus INSTEAD on the years from Mame to the end of Lucy's life.  Why ?  It was during those years, that Lucy had to come to terms with what was basically an enforced retirement.  It would be interesting I think to have this part of her life dramatized rather than the more familiar 1950's timeframe.  Lots of potential themes during this latter part of her life - aging, changing audience tastes, coping with commercial failure, coping with the loss of her mother and Vivian Vance, etc.

I'd be curious to know what others think of the idea of focussing on her later life rather than the 1950's.

I've been thinking about the Blanchett / Sorkin project.  My guess is that it will focus on Lucy in the 1950's during the heyday of I Love Lucy and that it will end around the time of Lucy and Desi's divorce.  No doubt, there were a lot of dramatic incidents which occurred during those years.

However ...

I think it would be equally interesting - perhaps moreso - to have the project focus INSTEAD on the years from Mame to the end of Lucy's life.  Why ?  It was during those years that Lucy had to come to terms with what was basically an enforced retirement.  It would be interesting I think to have this part of her life dramatized rather than the more familiar 1950's timeframe.  Lots of potential themes during this latter part of her life - aging, changing audience tastes, coping with commercial failure, coping with the loss of her mother and Vivian Vance, etc.

I'd be curious to know what others think of the idea of focussing on her later life rather than the 1950's.

I agree, not least of which because that timeframe has never been dramatized. But chances are they're going to stick to the familiar.

• 5 months later...

New Cate Blanchett interview:

And finally, I want to know what’s going on with the Lucy and Desi Arnaz project you are attached to.

Lucie Arnaz has been incredibly, unbelievably generous. We met a few years ago and started talking about this and now Aaron Sorkin is in advanced talks to adapt her mother and father’s story. It’s incredible. I mean, you want to talk about astonishing women who have made a lasting impact? You walk onto a film set and you’ve got the female bathrooms called “Lucy” and the male bathrooms called “Desi.” [Laughs] She was the first female studio head, for goodness sake, and a mother and she broke all the rules and changed comedy and was this incredible actress. And then you’ve got this amazing love story between these two people. He’s Cuban and he’s younger than her.

I don’t think I realized he was younger.

Of course, we won’t be casting anyone younger than me. [Laughs] But really, it’s so great and Lucie Arnaz has been so amazing to give us the authorized version of her story. It’s an incredible act of trust.

I take it that I Love Lucy made it to Australia?

Oh god, yes. I think she was watched around the globe. I’ve watched them all. But of course, it’s one thing to watch as a fan and then it’s another to think about how to delve in. There’s so much there and it’s so rich. But it’s a lot to try and think about inhabiting that genius!

So when do you think you’ll be able to get it going?

As soon as possible! I’ve read a lot of films — and made a few — that have ended up being biopics. In the end, this has to be so much more than that. The directorial vision of it will be absolutely vital. It’s terrifying. But like all good things, it’s equally terrifying and exciting.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/14/cate-blanchett-oceans-8-thor-ragnarok-lucille-ball-biopic
  • Like 1

I hope it never gets made honestly. I'm concerned how Lucy will be portrayed as a mother since You Know Who is involved in the "official telling" of Lucy's story. I don't think Lucy would want a big screen version of her life.

I hadn't thought about that way; although with Aaron Sorkin involved (writing the script too, I think) perhaps that wun't be an issue. :blink:

Hmmm....on the fence about this, but I'm not sure I agree, not at this stage of her (Lucie's) life.... she is "of a certain age" now herself and despite how it may have affected her (and Desi Jr.) personally, she now knows herself what it's like to be a Working Actress whilst raising a family....so perhaps with that now-shared experience combined with time, age and maturity.... she'd be more empathetic to how she was raised.

On the other hand... (always trying to see both sides!)...I would like to see explored and more info on why The Lady felt she had to work non-stop, especially during those "formative" years of her kids; yes she was a studio head (which must have consumed enough time anyway) and in-demand actress, but her schedule for TLS --especially since by then they reportedly had a 4-day work week!-- should have afforded plenty of time with home & family, so why constantly be taking additional work that would take her not only out of the house but also possibly out of town? Of course as fans it's WUNDAFUL to have all these additional gems for our collections but ...what about the children?? From their perspective, just more time away from home.  I find it quite fascinating. :lucyhmm:

I would hope she knows what’s it’s like to be a working actress and have a work life balance, but I’ve seen some interviews and social media over the past few years that lead me to believe that she still has resentment over it. Lucie just seemed to drag her kids everywhere she worked, so how that is really fair either? And I’ve never heard much resentment about dad working as much as he was in the 50s. He was working himself to death and when he did have spare time by the late 50s, I get the impression much of it wasn’t spent at home with the family.

There are numerous articles and interviews over the years where Lucy talks about helping the kids with their homework, everyone being home at night for dinner, and other things that give me a very different impression that she was always working. The got the show done in 4 days and probably tried to wrap up studio business the best she could because they went to Palm Springs for 3 day weekends. Her and Gary seemed to vacation lots of places overseas. Lucy had those condos in Snowmass, including one for the kids to have their place there. I know she was a workaholic and even in the recent Carson interview she says that she wanted to earn her vacation. The kids were teenagers and Jr. was on the road with his band. So maybe it was some on them for being at an age where they had other things to do then spend it with mom and stepdad. Heck they spent summers with dad, so that’s time away from mom. So I don’t tend to believe Lucy wasn’t ever around.

• Like 1

I would hope she knows what’s it’s like to be a working actress and have a work life balance, but I’ve seen some interviews and social media over the past few years that lead me to believe that she still has resentment over it. Lucie just seemed to drag her kids everywhere she worked, so how that is really fair either? And I’ve never heard much resentment about dad working as much as he was in the 50s. He was working himself to death and when he did have spare time by the late 50s, I get the impression much of it wasn’t spent at home with the family.

There are numerous articles and interviews over the years where Lucy talks about helping the kids with their homework, everyone being home at night for dinner, and other things that give me a very different impression that she was always working. The got the show done in 4 days and probably tried to wrap up studio business the best she could because they went to Palm Springs for 3 day weekends. Her and Gary seemed to vacation lots of places overseas. Lucy had those condos in Snowmass, including one for the kids to have their place there. I know she was a workaholic and even in the recent Carson interview she says that she wanted to earn her vacation. The kids were teenagers and Jr. was on the road with his band. So maybe it was some on them for being at an age where they had other things to do then spend it with mom and stepdad. Heck they spent summers with dad, so that’s time away from mom. So I don’t tend to believe Lucy wasn’t ever around.

All true and well said; trust me I'm not in any way criticizing Lucy (or Desi) for their work or work ethic, to me it was and is still to be admired... however I would imagine growing up with not one but two very busy people who were often out of the house --perhaps more than they needed to be-- at a certain age and up was perhaps somewhat difficult, especially if you were left to be raised in part by folks like but not technically "family". 

Of course, all this is subjective and I'm trying to remember too that they hardly grew up in "normal" conditions, far from it.  All things considered, I think the kids turned out alright; they both certainly today seem to be happy, healthy people. 

Still... none of us will ever know what it was like to walk in their shoes nor grow up the way that they did.  I'm sure at times it had to be very, very difficult. 

I'll say this, my parents were both teachers and my dad didn't live with us most of the time from when I was 9 until he died, so I rarely had a father at home in my formative years. My mother had her summers free and yet she still didn't spend much quality time with me doing fun stuff, she stayed at home and watched her cable TV.

What I mean is whenever I hear Lucie, (and it just seems to be Lucie because I've never heard her brother make the same complaints), bitch and moan about Mama never being home because she was a controlling workaholic, and how she "suffered" growing up in Beverly Hills with all that money and fame surrounding her, it makes me want to cut a _____. At least when Lucy had the time to spend with her kids she actually spent time with them, playing games, taking them places, showing them love all the time. Some of us less fortunate people had parents who worked hard and didn't have much spare time for their kids, but she acts like she was the only person who grew up this way. Get a clue, woman. I would've loved to have had parents like Lucy and Desi who took time out of their busy working lives to be with their children. Mine weren't half as busy and never found much time for me, and I was an only child!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

New updates on the film from this interview with Lucie. Amazon will be producing.

Can you give us an update about the proposed film version of your mother’s life?

“That’s absolutely happening. Todd Black and Escape Artists Productions came to us and want to tell the story of my mother and father. It’s a bitch to tell and not be depressing because we know they split. But it’s also quite a love story. Of course, I was a bit wary. There have been people who have tried to do a film before, but this group said, ‘We have someone in mind who wants to play your mother. Cate Blanchett is dying to do this. She adores your mother.’ ”

Have you met with the Oscar winner?

“I did meet with Cate, and the first thing she did was talk about how difficult it was to combine the enormous amount of success my parents had with raising a family. Cate does the same thing. She stars in films, runs a theater company and has a husband and children, so she understands. I’ve been told that Aaron Sorkin wants to write the screenplay, which blew my mind, and Amazon is producing.”

The million-dollar question: Who could play your father?

“I have someone in mind and he doesn’t have to be Cuban or Spanish. We need someone who can act the crap out of it, plus be funny and sexy in a self-deprecating, smart way. As for the rest, I’m an executive producer and maybe I’ll do a cameo. It does make me happy that Cate will go to the heart of my Mother for all the right reasons and not make this a tabloid look at her life. It’s hard to portray my parents because they’re still on TV everyday and so fresh in everyone’s minds.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/celebrity/lucie-arnaz-working-on-movie-about-mom-lucille-balls-life/

• Like 3

• 3 months later...