Cate Blanchett to star in Lucille Ball biopic written by Sorkin

Brock

Also, looking at the internet comments that cropped up overnight, I'm still not seeing the resemblance between Lucy and Debra Messing, let alone the observation Debra is a "dead ringer" for Lucy. The only similarities in my view are red hair and blue eyes. If so, I have just as much going for me as Debra, only lots more! (It's what I've got lots more of that louses me up.)

• Like 1

Well since the kids are involved in this, I hope it's going to be good.  Just kind of strange to me why they felt the need to make a biopic on their parents' marriage.  Are they trying to set the record straight from the 2 previous disastrous TV movies or what?  Like I said on Facebook, I'm reserving judgment.   :lucyeww:

I'm thinking you have 'hit the nail on the head', Taylor; and exactly what I've been thinking since I heard it on good morning America, this a.m.!

With the children's view of their own, and individual, life /  live(s), it could turn into a whole NEW BALLGAME.  Now, let's zeo in on who will be suited to play each of THEM!!!!

Any suggestions, anyone?    JK :fabrary:

I too want the post I'LL years in it. There is never enough information on them. Hopefully they show how friendy they were and still in love and not end on a divorce. These two were soulmates even divorced. I love the Design book that covered it well but Lucy's auto ends in 1964 and Desi's 1960 so not even they told the story. Wish Another Book had been written.

I'm thinking you have 'hit the nail on the head', Taylor; and exactly what I've been thinking since I heard it on good morning America, this a.m.!

With the children's view of their own, and individual, life /  live(s), it could turn into a whole NEW BALLGAME.  Now, let's zeo in on who will be suited to play each of THEM!!!!

Any suggestions, anyone?    JK :fabrary:

Been 're-thinking' my own post; and what I should have said in addition to the above; is: 

Let's hope we aren't getting the ''adult' Arnazes children's view of what were certainly their 'childhood - 0-9; and 0-7' views

PERSONALLY, and for selfish (sorry!!) reasons; I can't wait to see what it becomes.....  JK

• Like 2

Also, looking at the internet comments that cropped up overnight, I'm still not seeing the resemblance between Lucy and Debra Messing, let alone the observation Debra is a "dead ringer" for Lucy. The only similarities in my view are red hair and blue eyes. If so, I have just as much going for me as Debra, only lots more! (It's what I've got lots more of that louses me up.)

Well ..not that you've got LOTS more but..it's all in the wrong places (no offense)!! :blink:

I agree with you that Debra Messing is not a "dead ringer" for Lucy, and that the similarities are primarily just the hair and the eyes.  But like Lucy, Debra also has a roundish face and a softness to her facial features.  The other actresses who have played Lucille Ball, particularly Frances Fisher, have harsher facial features.  The similarity in the eyes, to me, is very important for someone to be playing Lucy, because those eyes had so much to do with Lucy's comedy.  Debra has those large round eyes, and also has the timing and an expressive face that's good for comedy, which she has proven.  I'm having a very hard time seeing Cate Blanchett being able to pull any of this off.  I hated those previous biopics for various reasons, but one of the main reasons was seeing those actresses trying to do Lucille Ball playing Lucy Ricardo.  They complete flopped on that account.  And I think the main reason was the face didn't work at all.  Debra Messing has a face where that could work; Cate Blanchett just doesn't.  Blanchett is an attractive woman, but it's a very different kind of attractive.  I'm not excited about this news.  I would have been if they had given the role to Debra Messing.

I agree with you that Debra Messing is not a "dead ringer" for Lucy, and that the similarities are primarily just the hair and the eyes.  But like Lucy, Debra also has a roundish face and a softness to her facial features.  The other actresses who have played Lucille Ball, particularly Frances Fisher, have harsher facial features.  The similarity in the eyes, to me, is very important for someone to be playing Lucy, because those eyes had so much to do with Lucy's comedy.  Debra has those large round eyes, and also has the timing and an expressive face that's good for comedy, which she has proven.  I'm having a very hard time seeing Cate Blanchett being able to pull any of this off.  I hated those previous biopics for various reasons, but one of the main reasons was seeing those actresses trying to do Lucille Ball playing Lucy Ricardo.  They complete flopped on that account.  And I think the main reason was the face didn't work at all.  Debra Messing has a face where that could work; Cate Blanchett just doesn't.  Blanchett is an attractive woman, but it's a very different kind of attractive.  I'm not excited about this news.  I would have been if they had given the role to Debra Messing.

I see your point, but I'm not going to rule out Blanchett just yet. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Being able to portray both Lucille Ball and Lucy Ricardo is a mammoth task, and I'm not sure anyone alive could fully pull it off. If the filmmakers are smart, they'll keep the recreations down to a minimum.

• Like 1

If he was the one I saw in the Pub when he appeared here; and I believe it WAS; with a very large bodyguard, who showed him into the bathroom; THEY will have to put him on stilts, and a ladder to play Desi; of course, the age is right (younger than Cate, by 11 years); but, she is listed IMDb, 5'8"; he's listed as 5'7-1/4") - didn't look nearly that tall when I saw him....  Just sayin!!!!

JK :HALKING: 

It seems nobody has asked this question yet: Who is going to direct this?, I would think that having Cate Blanchett to star & Aaron Sorkin to write, we are only waiting for a great director to make this something special.

I think Todd Haynes could possibly be a good choice. He is a Lucy fan, he has experience directing films set in the 1950s, and has a close and very successful working relationship with Cate Blanchett. The stumbling block is that I think he writes or co-writes his own films. Haynes also might be a bit unconventional for a standard biopic.

Comment from Aaron Sorkin via Deadline.

As for Sorkin, making his first trip here, I asked him a little earlier after we arrived on the same plane to Colorado, about those just-announced plans to do a Lucille Ball biopic. He told me all of that is premature because he hasn’t decided whether or not he will write the script. He did say he wants to make it a biopic that is nothing like a biopic, something he so successfully has achieved with the clever structure of Steve Jobs.

http://deadline.com/2015/09/steve-wozniak-says-steve-jobs-the-movie-gets-it-all-correct-1201516399/