Merv Griffin Show & Judy Garland Show coming to GetTV

Yes. It is a fantastic showcase for her.

Last night Get showed a terrific Merv Griffin Show with Carol Channing on the eve of her leaving the original production of Hello, Dolly!. Carol was at her funniest. An added bonus was they did a lot of exterior filming on 44th Street showing the marquees of the Broadway shows playing at the time like Dolly, Golden Boy, and Half a Sixpence. This was just a couple of weeks after Lucy and Steve Lawrence went down the street on their elephant.

For some reason, AntennaTV has replaced GetTV on our television. The guide thingy still says that channel 66.2 is GetTV, but Antenna is all that shows up. Sorely disappointed I haven't been able to see all these Talk/Variety gems. I've no doubt my grandma has recorded them though, so I'll have to ask her how hard it would be to get some copies.
  • Like 1

My Get Got Gone just when Lucy was going to be on Merv. 

I just discovered our "Get TV" channel is now something called "Comet" and has completely different programming.  Get seems to have disappeared.

I'll send my usual poison pen letter to the cable company but it didn't help getting "The Governor and JJ" renewed, so what' the use?

My Get Got Gone just when Lucy was going to be on Merv. 

I just discovered our "Get TV" channel is now something called "Comet" and has completely different programming.  Get seems to have disappeared.

I'll send my usual poison pen letter to the cable company but it didn't help getting "The Governor and JJ" renewed, so what' the use?

Wow, Im surprised your cable co just replaced it with Comet. Di they possibly move it to another channel? Comet is a new channel showing old sci fi TV shows.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 90 minute version but its crappy quality so I enjoyed watching this in good quality last night. The edits I noticed were: Gary’s trumpet story with Merv, all the stuff on Mame, the award presentation at the end, and I think a clip or 2 from Lucy’s shows. All in all not too bad on the cuts. I just love to watch the family interaction in this, especially when Lucy blurts out about the trust funds.

I know Bob pops on a lot on stuff with Lucy, but is this ever the most relaxed they have been together? Such a familiarity there of a good friendship.

My favorite moments are interview be damned Lucy is going to powder her nose, Gary talking about how proud he is of the kids, Gary dumping all the water on Lucy’s foot and Lucy’s talk with Merv at the beginning of her early Hollywood years.

• Like 1

I remember seeing this show when it first aired and would have liked to have seen the Mame clips again. I loved when Lucie said when she turned 84 someone would say to her ok now Miss Arnaz, we are going to take you to see your mothers show tonight and they would wheel her into the taping. Lucy loved that too.

I have the 90 minute version but its crappy quality so I enjoyed watching this in good quality last night. The edits I noticed were: Gary’s trumpet story with Merv, all the stuff on Mame, the award presentation at the end, and I think a clip or 2 from Lucy’s shows. All in all not too bad on the cuts. I just love to watch the family interaction in this, especially when Lucy blurts out about the trust funds.

I know Bob pops on a lot on stuff with Lucy, but is this ever the most relaxed they have been together? Such a familiarity there of a good friendship.

My favorite moments are interview be damned Lucy is going to powder her nose, Gary talking about how proud he is of the kids, Gary dumping all the water on Lucy’s foot and Lucy’s talk with Merv at the beginning of her early Hollywood years.

I find this whole show a little uncomfortable to watch, though it does have some great moments, particularly our first (and Lucy's) glimpse of Mame, which had the look of a winner.  It was a full 6 months before "Mame" was actually released.  Whoever picked those clips did a great job. 

But I don't like how Lucy publicly teases Desi Jr. about giving them "the jollies" by going to college.  (At least, he made an attempt at bettering himself.)  Lucie does well with her "wheeling me in as an old lady" story but a lot of her attempts at humor fall flat.  And that loud cackle-laugh off-camera smacks of trying for attention.   To give her credit, she was so young and relatively inexperienced on talk shows.  Desi is so self effacing and charming, and unlike Lucie knows his place.  After his initial interview, you wouldn't even know he was still there.   I don't think his "Marco Polo" ever got a theatrical release. 

Has there EVER on ANY talk show been a guest who feels the need to powder her nose ON CAMERA??

I was surprised to learn that Bob had never met Lucie (or Desi Jr., I presume).  I thought he and Lucy were off-camera buddies too. 

Bob is damn sharp for a 70 year old.   The Allstate/one-finger ad lib is timed perfectly.  

Gary does have a little show biz cache, having performed with Merv during the big band years.  As I recall, this isn't the only time he barged in mid-interview.  I wonder if the handlers backstage were trying to hold him back and wait for his actual introduction.  You've got to give Gary credit for acting completely at home in the presence of show biz upper echelon, when without Lucy: where would he have been in 1973?  Playing the lounge at the Columbus Ohio Airport Holiday Inn.  If he was lucky.  But sometimes you wish he would just SHUT UP.  They do seem like a happy, fun-loving couple. 

It was a full day for Lucy (and Lucie) having done "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon" earlier that afternoon.  

I find this whole show a little uncomfortable to watch, though it does have some great moments, particularly our first (and Lucy's) glimpse of Mame, which had the look of a winner.  It was a full 6 months before "Mame" was actually released.  Whoever picked those clips did a great job. 

But I don't like how Lucy publicly teases Desi Jr. about giving them "the jollies" by going to college.  (At least, he made an attempt at bettering himself.)  Lucie does well with her "wheeling me in as an old lady" story but a lot of her attempts at humor fall flat.  And that loud cackle-laugh off-camera smacks of trying for attention.   To give her credit, she was so young and relatively inexperienced on talk shows.  Desi is so self effacing and charming, and unlike Lucie knows his place.  After his initial interview, you wouldn't even know he was still there.   I don't think his "Marco Polo" ever got a theatrical release. 

Has there EVER on ANY talk show been a guest who feels the need to powder her nose ON CAMERA??

I was surprised to learn that Bob had never met Lucie (or Desi Jr., I presume).  I thought he and Lucy were off-camera buddies too. 

The Allstate/one-finger ad lib is timed perfectly.  

Gary does have a little show biz cache, having performed with Merv during the big band years.  As I recall, this isn't the only time he barged in mid-interview.  I wonder if the handlers backstage were trying to hold him back and wait for his actual introduction.  You've got to give Gary credit for acting completely at home in the presence of show biz upper echelon, when without Lucy: where would he have been in 1973?  Playing the lounge at the Columbus Ohio Airport Holiday Inn.  If he was lucky.  But sometimes you wish he would just SHUT UP.  They do seem like a happy, fun-loving couple. 

It was a full day for Lucy (and Lucie) having done "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon" earlier that afternoon.  

'Bob is damn sharp for a 70 year old.'

[excuse the hell out of ME!] 

Loving you, anyway, JK