Bobby the Bellboy Spinoff?

Sorry if this has been brought up before and I missed it, but I stumbled across this whilst browsing "I Love Lucy's" tv tropes trivia page:

"After the Hollywood Arc was over, Desi suggested a Spin-Off taking place in their Hollywood hotel with Bobby the Bellboy as the main character as he deals with guests (he'd be given a female costar to play his girlfriend and get him involved in hijinx a la Lucy), but nothing came of it. With this in mind, the episodes featuring Bobby could be considered a Poorly Disguised Pilot."

Is this verifiable? If so, where?

(original link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/ILoveLucy)

Sorry if this has been brought up before and I missed it, but I stumbled across this whilst browsing "I Love Lucy's" tv tropes trivia page:

"After the Hollywood Arc was over, Desi suggested a Spin-Off taking place in their Hollywood hotel with Bobby the Bellboy as the main character as he deals with guests (he'd be given a female costar to play his girlfriend and get him involved in hijinx a la Lucy), but nothing came of it. With this in mind, the episodes featuring Bobby could be considered a Poorly Disguised Pilot."

It seems unlikely to me. No episode featuring Bobby screams "backdoor pilot" to me, unless The Star Upstairs was originally intended to be a two-parter featuring the bellboy in his new career as a ventriloquist -- or they wanted to follow up on L.A. At Last with his star-making turn in Julius Caesar. Hey, maybe that's why they cut out that bit!

Had there been a Bobby the Bellboy spin-off, I hope they lined up someone groovy to play his inevitable sidekicks -- that snooty Mrs. Anderson downstairs who thought her daughter was such a much, and Mr. Miller who didn't mind his own business, yet had impeccable aim with incriminating morning papers.

• Like 1

Brock, on 14 Oct 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

It seems unlikely to me. No episode featuring Bobby screams "backdoor pilot" to me, unless The Star Upstairs was originally intended to be a two-parter featuring the bellboy in his new career as a ventriloquist -- or they wanted to follow up on L.A. At Last with his star-making turn in Julius Caesar. Hey, maybe that's why they cut out that bit!

Had there been a Bobby the Bellboy spin-off, I hope they lined up someone groovy to play his inevitable sidekicks -- that snooty Mrs. Anderson downstairs who thought her daughter was such a much, and Mr. Miller who didn't mind his own business, yet had impeccable aim with incriminating morning papers.

Yeah, whoever wrote this could've phrased it better. No episode is a backdoor pilot. But the concept of his own show is interesting. I think Jellison could've pulled it off with good support.

Your suggestions are hysterical!

"Oh Those Bellboys!" Starring Bobbie Jellison with The Weir Brothers featuring Little Brocky.

Bobbie is promoted to Bellhop at the Beverly Palms and struggles to keep his bumbling staff of bellboys in line.

The three Wiere Brothers actually had a sitcom "Oh, Those Bells!"

Mrs. McGillicuddy: Oh, look they spelled Brocky's name wrong.

• Like 1