I Love Lucy color shows update?

Lucille Ball fan

Tom Watson has confirmed a 2015 Christmas special is in the works.

My only wish is that they would pair the newly colorized episode with something other than that Christmas episode, like a repeat of one of the other classic episodes that's already been colorized.  That Christmas episode, IMO, is one of the worst episodes of the series.  And I hate that the hour special begins with something so weak, that likely won't impress the casual fan, or someone unfamiliar with the show, and may cause them to change the channel.

• Like 1

My only wish is that they would pair the newly colorized episode with something other than that Christmas episode, like a repeat of one of the other classic episodes that's already been colorized.  That Christmas episode, IMO, is one of the worst episodes of the series.  And I hate that the hour special begins with something so weak, that likely won't impress the casual fan, or someone unfamiliar with the show, and may cause them to change the channel.

At least they haven't started airing it on a 24 hour loop like TBS does with "A Christmas Story."

I agree -- largely. Although I have nothing against the Christmas episode in particular, as it is basically a clip show, it does get monotonous on repeat viewings.

true- although it may get a little monotonous,  it does seem to wet the appetites of us viewers who love to see Lucy in Prime Time, or Lucy, during the holidays , maybe in the company of our friends, family or loved ones 

I do think the Christmas episode should play Last though.

Introducing an I love Lucy episode, in brilliant color, will always be fun to watch- so the order of the show doesn't matter- plus, I think it seems more fitting to end the show off with a Christmas theme, along with the added random Lucy clips, leaving the viewers for more.

Weak: yes. Worst: no.  The present-day segments lack any spark but for when it was done the baby clips were a real treat. But we've seen the best of them over and over again.  Rerunning something you own must result in what is essentially pure profit. For a show that usually gets passable-to-high ratings, you'd think there'd be a little money left in the budget for colorizing the flashback scenes to make this airing a little different.  I can't imagine they WON'T pair it with Vitameta this year as they've already done the ones the general public remembers as their favorites.  Doubtful they'll go with my picks: Fashion Show OR Gets in Pictures.  No one EVER asks ME!

The flashback scenes in color would make the Christmas show more interesting. I would like to see the LA At Last and Lucy And Superman color shows released complete on dvd. Maybe they will release those along with the color show that will be part of the Christmas 2015 tv special on dvd. I am surprised that CBS has not rerun the I Love Lucy Superstar Special. It was a super super special. :lucythrill::lucywow:

Yes, I'd love to see the flashbacks colorized, too! Why they weren't colorized to begin with, I'll never know.

I can still be called "The "I Love Lucy" Christmas Special," without "The Christmas Show." Instead, colorize the tag-scene, of Lucy, Ricky, Fred, Ethel and Santa Claus, singing "Jingle Bells," in the Ricardo's first New York, apartment, either before, during or after. So, I'd either like for the Christmas Show to be fully colorized, with a newly colorized episode, or two newly colorized episodes, with the Jingle Bells tag-scene colorized.

I think they show the colorized Christmas Show first, is because, if they showed the newly colorized episode first, most viewers wouldn't wait around to see the Christmas Show, again. At least I'm not alone. I'm sure there were other Christmas related things, that can be colorized, and included, like promos, commercials, advertisements, etc. I hope CBS is listening.

They could edit and colorized the Lucy character segments from the Desilu Playhouse Christmas Revue which could really be advertised as a lost special. The whole hour is lame in my opinion but edited to a 22 minute "special" it could be cute..... but as someone else said "nobody listens to me......." either! ;)

• Like 1

That's not a bad idea, at all, TropicJeff!  This might be the same thing you mentioned, but I do remember a couple of Westinghouse commercials, that faetured Lucy, Ricky, Fred, Ethel, and Little Ricky.  The first one I remember is Lucy and Ricly were doing a photo-shoot, and Lucy kept piling the presents, covering Ricky's face. The other one I remember, featured Little Ricky, reciting a Christmas poem.  Then, there was that scene at the beginning of "Lucy Goes to Sun Valley," from "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour,"where Lucy and Ricky are putting their gifts for Little Ricky, under the tree.  One of them happens to be a pair of skis.  I think all would be great, and look great, colorized, in addition to the ones I mentioned, in my two posts, above.  I wish they'd change it up, with new material.

Weak: yes. Worst: no.  The present-day segments lack any spark but for when it was done the baby clips were a real treat. But we've seen the best of them over and over again.  Rerunning something you own must result in what is essentially pure profit. For a show that usually gets passable-to-high ratings, you'd think there'd be a little money left in the budget for colorizing the flashback scenes to make this airing a little different.  I can't imagine they WON'T pair it with Vitameta this year as they've already done the ones the general public remembers as their favorites.  Doubtful they'll go with my picks: Fashion Show OR Gets in Pictures.  No one EVER asks ME!

I didn't say it was THE worst, just one of the worst.  I would say that it's the worst episode of S6, hands down.  It feels like something that was thrown together at the very last minute.  The "jokes" and dialogue in the script are embarrassingly bad, like that bit between Fred and Ethel about the mistletoe.  I'm not making this complaint so much as a fan of the show but just wondering what a person might think if they've never seen the show before, and this is how they're introduced to it.  But even for us indoctrinated fans, there's nothing much there for us.  Those baby clips aren't so much a treat to see these days because we've seen the full episodes countless times.  Back in '56, they had rarely aired.

That's why I wish they'd at least colorize the flashbacks, and present them in color.  At least we'd get to see The Tropicana Nightclub scene, in color, from "Lucy is Enceinte," as well as the Ricardo's first New York Apartment.  We saw it colorized in "Job Switching," but that was before Lucy won The Home Show furniture, so it would be interesting to see it in color, after the makeover, when Ricky, Fred and Ethel are rehearsing taking Lucy to the hospital.  Then, of course, there's the "Sweet Adeline" sequence.  My mother and I usually watch the Christmas Special, together, but she always says, "Let me know when the newly colorized episode comes on."  She says, "They keep showing the same colorized episode, every year, and it's so boring."  It's almost like she's telling me to wake her up, when the Christmas Show is over, and the new colorized show is about to come on. I agree, and feel the same way, too.