THE LUCY SHOW season 2 discussion

Under the category of "nit-picking but why nitpick when the episode is so good"......

WHO made Jerry and Sherman's  rather elaborate 'Red Red Robin' costumes, since it wasn't wardrobe mistress Lucy?

Unless the number was one of those done off-screen (like the other act I would kill to see "Crime and Punishment"), seamstress Lucy made so many robin costumes that she ran out of beaks, yet the corny but cute  "Robin" song is not mentioned again.

The most widely circulated edited version of this episode eliminates all the other acts and Jerry's emcee-ing. The scene begins with  Ethel's "idea-r"  the number that everyone can be in, including Mr. Mooney: the history of show business. 

The Cub Scout show is quite entertaining, funny and clever.   Lucy once again demonstrating her seemingly INSTINCTIVE talent to move just right, when she replicates the jerky, slightly too fast silent movie movements....without overdoing it. 

The two Ethel Merman episodes are easily highlights of the entire SERIES let alone season. 

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of season 2, the 2nd half of it seems rather blah to me. But the season has several gems!

Cleopatra

Kiddie Parties

Military Acadamy

Softball

Loophole

Redecorate

Symphony

Fire at the Bank

Florence Nightengale

Art Class

Lawyer

Millionaire

What does everyone think of Kiddie Parties, Inc? Very far fetched (she would need waaaaaay more balloons than that to fly away plus she would not be swinging like a clock pendelum) but it's my favorite episode of the entire series . . . LUCY blowing up HELIUM balloons?! I didn't think ANYBODY ever rented a helium tank for a birthday party in 1963, lol. Seems like it was always just little balloons tied to the laundry line, my grandma did that at all the kids birthday parties in the 60s.  

FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB FLUB Just as Lucy uncovers Thunderbolt, the pink balloon that Viv accidentally released earlier drifts back down to the ground behind Lucy, as it apparently sprung a leak and only went up as high as the soundstage ceiling. I can't believe they didn't put this in the flubs section on the DVD.

I thought it would've popped on the hot studio lights, but maybe the green one did. If I was Lucy, I'd be a little afraid that the balloons tied to me at the end would pop on the hot lights. They were pretty big! 

Also, anyone ever notice that in Symphony, that near the end when we see a shot of the conductor after Lucy basically destroys the set, one of the stage lights in the background is on fire? I can't believe they didn't put this in the Flubs either!  :blink:

Lucy's face when she eats her "Apple" pie in Art Class is priceless! 

• Like 1

I always thought it weird that The Merm didn't get entrance applause for her appearances. By the end of TLS, it seemed like all Lucy had to do was walk across the room and she would get a thunderous ovation.

I think for the season six Milton Berle episode they must have just left that applause sign on for the whole taping.

• Like 1

I always thought it weird that The Merm didn't get entrance applause for her appearances. By the end of TLS, it seemed like all Lucy had to do was walk across the room and she would get a thunderous ovation.

I think for the season six Milton Berle episode they must have just left that applause sign on for the whole taping.

Well they never had "Applause" signs and I think that Milton Berle episode was an anomaly in that indeed there was applause with every entrance etc. but to me it's part of what makes the episode such fun and definitely a standout (and let's not forget the special guest star, The Movie Star Miss Ruta Lee!!)

I've often wondered however if some/lot of that was perhaps attributable to audience warm-upper Gary Golddapper, since he was definitely present and always "opened" the show with his sterling patter.  :blink:  Never heard/seen anything written about where he was during filming (did he sit as part of the audience? just off-stage? Downstage just in front of the bleachers? All are possible but anyone here know for a fact?) but with his always audibly obvious presence, he was definitely there! Thus, he could easily have "goosed" reaction by leading the rest in "spontaneous" applause. :HALKING:

Well they never had "Applause" signs and I think that Milton Berle episode was an anomaly in that indeed there was applause with every entrance etc. but to me it's part of what makes the episode such fun and definitely a standout (and let's not forget the special guest star, The Movie Star Miss Ruta Lee!!)

I've often wondered however if some/lot of that was perhaps attributable to audience warm-upper Gary Golddapper, since he was definitely present and always "opened" the show with his sterling patter. :blink: Never heard/seen anything written about where he was during filming (did he sit as part of the audience? just off-stage? Downstage just in front of the bleachers? All are possible but anyone here know for a fact?) but with his always audibly obvious presence, he was definitely there! Thus, he could easily have "goosed" reaction by leading the rest in "spontaneous" applause. :HALKING:

The applause does make it more fun. I had the Berle episode in mind because I think Lucy got two applause breaks for two seperate entrances, which was very unusual. And come to think of it, LWL was probably the show with the most intense audience reactions, not only to entrances, but to plain lines of dialogue!
  • Like 1

The applause does make it more fun. I had the Berle episode in mind because I think Lucy got two applause breaks for two seperate entrances, which was very unusual. And come to think of it, LWL was probably the show with the most intense audience reactions, not only to entrances, but to plain lines of dialogue!

Well LWL is easily explained as I witnessed the first filming myself and that is unlike the rest of the cast (and is the usual custom at most tapings with audiences), Gale and Lucy were NOT introduced before the start of filming thus the audience first saw each of them upon their respective entrances and believe me, they were both long and loud!! (If you'll rewatch that first episode, note that Lucy's seems much shorter than Gale's, presumably because it was harder to edit his being he had that "long" walk from the door to the couch; Lucy stopped to greet the kids closer in which apparently made it easier to edit down.)

As for reactions to dialogue....that's a lot harder to explain! Your guess is as good as mine! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Guess you're trying to tell us something! :blink:

I think we just got off on a tangent.  Probably makes more sense if you go back and read the thread from the beginning!

:HALKING:

when it comes to the straying off topic within a thread violation, I'm public enemy #1

and for Irene:

It doesn't look like those wisenheimers (you know who you are)  addressed your Ruta Lee statement.  I pretty sure Ruta made her first appearances as Audrey Fields (and did a great job) in the stellar 5th season episode "Lucy's Substitute Secretary"----

"What do you have in the way of distressed wood?"----which wisenheimer wants to take that one??

And then she was the movie star (herself) in "Lucy Meets the Berles", the 6th season opener.  I'm not aware of her being in any Here's Lucys but she once again played herself in the 1980 "Lucy Moves to NBC" special.,  But she must have fallen from the roster of A-list "movie stars" because she was now whiling away the hours  playing backgammon with Lucille Ball. 

when it comes to the straying off topic within a thread violation, I'm public enemy #1

and for Irene:

It doesn't look like those wisenheimers (you know who you are) addressed your Ruta Lee statement. I pretty sure Ruta made her first appearances as Audrey Fields (and did a great job) in the stellar 5th season episode "Lucy's Substitute Secretary"----

"What do you have in the way of distressed wood?"----which wisenheimer wants to take that one??

And then she was the movie star (herself) in "Lucy Meets the Berles", the 6th season opener. I'm not aware of her being in any Here's Lucys but she once again played herself in the 1980 "Lucy Moves to NBC" special., But she must have fallen from the roster of A-list "movie stars" because she was now whiling away the hours playing backgammon with Lucille Ball.

Only the BEST play backgammon with Ms. Ball. Anyway, ~The Star~ was still a few years away from participating in her magnum opus role of Pauline The Nymphomaniac in the ultra-cute "Coming of Age"!

What does everyone think of Kiddie Parties, Inc? Very far fetched (she would need waaaaaay more balloons than that to fly away plus she would not be swinging like a clock pendelum) but it's my favorite episode of the entire series . . . LUCY blowing up HELIUM balloons?! I didn't think ANYBODY ever rented a helium tank for a birthday party in 1963, lol. Seems like it was always just little balloons tied to the laundry line, my grandma did that at all the kids birthday parties in the 60s.  

The big scene in "Kiddie Parties" Lucy floating away tied to balloons, was an ambitious visual to pull off in front of a live audience, and one that doesn't QUITE work.  Unfortunately she had to stay within the boundaries of the set, but swaying back and forth defies logic.  The wind would have to be shifting from east to west, then back again.  

So Kiddie Parties is one of the 2nd season episodes that ranks an "OK, which still puts it head-and-shoulders above later non-BobMadelyn episodes.  If Kiddie Parties had been a Here's Lucy, it would be among the best*

My favorite line: when Lyle Talbot is setting up the party and expects a clown, then wants to know what other acts they have, Lucy looks to Viv who says

"I don't know. The clown has my list". 

*they should have combined Kiddie Parties with Ma Parker.  Lucy Carter could be throwing a party for the "kiddies" next door and when she starts to float away, they could have brought down the balloons with their machine guns. 

• Like 1

The big scene in "Kiddie Parties" Lucy floating away tied to balloons, was an ambitious visual to pull off in front of a live audience, and one that doesn't QUITE work.  Unfortunately she had to stay within the boundaries of the set, but swaying back and forth defies logic.  The wind would have to be shifting from east to west, then back again.  

So Kiddie Parties is one of the 2nd season episodes that ranks an "OK, which still puts it head-and-shoulders above later non-BobMadelyn episodes.  If Kiddie Parties had been a Here's Lucy, it would be among the best*

My favorite line: when Lyle Talbot is setting up the party and expects a clown, then wants to know what other acts they have, Lucy looks to Viv who says

"I don't know. The clown has my list". 

*they should have combined Kiddie Parties with Ma Parker.  Lucy Carter could be throwing a party for the "kiddies" next door and when she starts to float away, they could have brought down the balloons with their machine guns.

Or tie the little "kids" to the balloons. To quote Jack Benny: "Before he could say 'and away we go' he'd be gone!"

The balloon thing was a very ambitious attempt that I think was handled well. Let's not forget Lucy's fear of heights!

Kiddie Parties is a standout in a season that was running out of steam- the most memorable moments come from fairly bland episodes (bland by Lucy standards, of course).

The balloons, Mooney sitting on the oil thingy in his backyard, the car crashing through the house, Lucy on the rampant golf cart, the restaurant that gets shaken up by construction, and the green dye vat are big moments from season two IMO, but their respective build-ups are believable but not super funny.

Season three got more outrageous and more memorable, but everything seemed extra silly. I don't think the logic really went down the drain until season five.

• Like 2

The balloon thing was a very ambitious attempt that I think was handled well. Let's not forget Lucy's fear of heights!

Kiddie Parties is a standout in a season that was running out of steam- the most memorable moments come from fairly bland episodes (bland by Lucy standards, of course).

The balloons, Mooney sitting on the oil thingy in his backyard, the car crashing through the house, Lucy on the rampant golf cart, the restaurant that gets shaken up by construction, and the green dye vat are big moments from season two IMO, but their respective build-ups are believable but not super funny.

Season three got more outrageous and more memorable, but everything seemed extra silly. I don't think the logic really went down the drain until season five.

Well I think a large part of that was because Bob & Madelyn (and for the most part, the other two Bobs) left and with them went a lot of the "logical" well, for Lucy! 'splanations as to how or why she ended up those vats, oil burners, and wayward balloons!

Despite the fact that some fine, award-winning and critically acclaimed writers were sometimes employed post the "3 Bobs and a babe" -- chief among them perhaps Garry Marshall & Jerry Belson, who also wrote for TDVDS and went on to create and write The Odd Couple -- there was never again the same "voice(s)" including the female contribution -- once they departed, sadly. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth, I think with a few exceptions Season 2 of The Lucy Show is definitely very nice to look at thanks to C O L O R but probably the most unexciting and boring of all the seasons.   I don't want to offend anyone but just my opinion.

It was very interesting to see the colors used during the first few episodes of the second season. Even though it was filmed in color and broadcast in black and white, they still kept the grayish color schemes. The back wall over the staircase was green during the first season and changed to gray. I just wish they would have used the original kitchen during the color episodes. 

It was very interesting to see the colors used during the first few episodes of the second season. Even though it was filmed in color and broadcast in black and white, they still kept the grayish color schemes. The back wall over the staircase was green during the first season and changed to gray. I just wish they would have used the original kitchen during the color episodes. 

Why just to see what it would have looked like? The remodeled set was certainly more "modern" (and funny how they gained all that extra room by making the room large enough to have the seating area expanded by moving it and the door to the "outside" from upstage to the left)! :peachonthebeach: