Carol+2 Coming to DVD!

Freddie2

I'm posting this from my phone so I can't share the link.

The DVD is to be released from Time/Life on MAY 17th! The current SRP on tvshowsondvd is $12.95. Bonuses include the 1972 TV special of Once Upon A Matress and the very first Charwoman sketch.

Again, sorry I can't share the link, but when I read the news, I was too excited to get home to my computer!

Running time: 277 minutes?!

I don't know if "Mattress" was a 2-hour special but even if it was that's 110 minutes (less commercials) with "Plus 2"'s 52 minutes, there's still  almost 2 hours left.  Wonder what else will be on it. 

I've never heard it referred to as the "unofficial pilot" but I guess it was.  I'm glad Carol didn't take Lucy's advise and do a sitcom as an "Agnus" character. 

Running time: 277 minutes?!

I don't know if "Mattress" was a 2-hour special but even if it was that's 110 minutes (less commercials) with "Plus 2"'s 52 minutes, there's still  almost 2 hours left.  Wonder what else will be on it. 

I've never heard it referred to as the "unofficial pilot" but I guess it was.  I'm glad Carol didn't take Lucy's advise and do a sitcom as an "Agnus" character. 

Someone should really ask Carol what the plot for Here's Agnes was. For all we know, Agnes could have been an associate producer in a Minneapolis news room.

Look when Tammy Grimes turned down that sitcom about a witch.

• Like 1

Someone should really ask Carol what the plot for Here's Agnes was. For all we know, Agnes could have been an associate producer in a Minneapolis news room.

Look when Tammy Grimes turned down that sitcom about a witch.

Maybe her last name was "Gooch" as in "we don't need Mame.  We can build the whole show around Agnes, Patrick and Mr. Babcock"

• Like 1

Maybe her last name was "Gooch" as in "we don't need Mame.  We can build the whole show around Agnes, Patrick and Mr. Babcock"

Will it take place before or after Agnes opened her new window? If it's after, casting Robbie Rist as Burnside Gooch is a no-brainer. Same glasses, same hairdo, same everything!

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Carol-Original-Queens-Comedy-DVD/dp/B01DPLS7HS/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1460325802&sr=1-3&keywords=carol+%2B+2

Am hoping they "tweak" the cover design a bit before it's released, I mean how DUMB to not put their names on the cover!!! D'oh! :blink:

I kind of see what you mean, but it's not like the names are more well known than the faces. All you have to do is look and know who we're dealing with here!

• Like 1

I kind of see what you mean, but it's not like the names are more well known than the faces. All you have to do is look and know who we're dealing with here!

True, yes WE know who they are but hate to say it, there's a generation growing up who may not know who they are and for that and other reasons I think it's just a bit disingenuous not to mention a missed golden opportunity to prominently feature the names of two of our favorite funny ladies.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received both "The Carol Burnett Companion" and "The Golden Girls" books and have only had time to skim through both.

"CB Companion" is EXCELLENT. It's the "The Lucy Book" for the CB Show. Each episode is dissected with the strengths and weaknesses pointed out. Obviously they are the author's opinions. If Fidelman ever re-issues "Lucy Book", I hope he'll do what the CB book author does. Before each season, he gives a detailed description of what was happening: time changes, staff changes, etc. and concludes each season with a recap of the season as a whole. He goes into much more detail about each episode than Fidelman. Of course there are "only" 276 CB episodes while Fidelman had to analyze 500 or so Lucy shows. The CB author gives Lucy appearances high marks.

I didn't realize "The Carol Burnett Show" last season got such dismal ratings. It was #64 at a time when the three networks had roughly 70 shows on the air.

The GG book seems to have more pictures, less text...and, frustratingly, NO index.

My only two complaints about The Lucy Book is that too much text is devoted to her aging looks. The fact that Lucy aged seemed to make people mad. complaint #2: too much time in the ILL section noting the changing opening credits of the original airings and not enough dissecting of episodes.

• Like 1

I just received both "The Carol Burnett Companion" and "The Golden Girls" books and have only had time to skim through both.

"CB Companion" is EXCELLENT. It's the "The Lucy Book" for the CB Show. Each episode is dissected with the strengths and weaknesses pointed out. Obviously they are the author's opinions. If Fidelman ever re-issues "Lucy Book", I hope he'll do what the CB book author does. Before each season, he gives a detailed description of what was happening: time changes, staff changes, etc. and concludes each season with a recap of the season as a whole. He goes into much more detail about each episode than Fidelman. Of course there are "only" 276 CB episodes while Fidelman had to analyze 500 or so Lucy shows. The CB author gives Lucy appearances high marks.

I didn't realize "The Carol Burnett Show" last season got such dismal ratings. It was #64 at a time when the three networks had roughly 70 shows on the air.

The GG book seems to have more pictures, less text...and, frustratingly, NO index.

My only two complaints about The Lucy Book is that too much text is devoted to her aging looks. The fact that Lucy aged seemed to make people mad. complaint #2: too much time in the ILL section noting the changing opening credits of the original airings and not enough dissecting of episodes.

Thanks for the thumbs up on both tomes, Neil!  As you get further into it, would love to hear more about the GG book. 

Am itching to get my hands on a copy sooner than later (i.e. I plan to buy it anyway) but till then would LOVE to hear more tidbits and thoughts about it if at all possible -- so thanks in advance!

Hope you enjoy both! :fabrary::lucyhehe::gary:

Thanks, Neil. You've sold me on The Carol Burnett Show book. I'm glad the author had access to all the episodes.

Interesting point Jimmy.... who is this guy anyway since all the early eps were basically (till very recently) locked in a vault for years and seemingly even Carol didn't have access!! :blink:

Would love to see his ...(wait for it) credentials!!! :HALKING::peachonthebeach::lucyeww:

Interesting point Jimmy.... who is this guy anyway since all the early eps were basically (till very recently) locked in a vault for years and seemingly even Carol didn't have access!! :blink:

Would love to see his ...(wait for it) credentials!!! :HALKING::peachonthebeach::lucyeww:

Author Wesley Hyatt has written quite a few books on TV. The only one I've read is his very interesting book on the highest rated episodes of TV.
  • Like 1

I'm sort of skipping around and skimming the Carol Burnett Companion Book. He notes which episodes he's actually seen, which he's seen only parts of (sometimes just the Carol Burnett and Friends portions) and a few that he could not get access to. In 11 seasons, there were 276 shows. And while there were plenty of high points, there were also bits of comedy that were labored and went on too long. His assessments are actually brutally frank and there's a LOT of negative comments about particular episodes. I'm not familiar enough with The CB Show to disagree with him. I much prefer this sort of episode guide rather than the love letter variety.