LucyFest 2016

I'm on the way to airport (tonight) to pick up Taylor and Gypsy, coming into Jamestown (new airline serving our area; hope this one TAKES!!!!.  See all of you who come here; wish I knew who is coming; other than the above; Brock & Mom; McCulloughs; Kay & Barb; Jamie(??)....  ANY OF YOU WITH ABILITY TO DO SO, POST HERE; SO I KNOW WHO TO LOOK FOR.  Thanks!  JK :fabrary:

Great day in Jamestown, so far!

We got here around 1.30 p.m. and hit the Frame store, which is always my first port of call, to see if they had any groovy Lucy stuff for sale. (More on that later). Then we checked into the hotel, headed down to the train station to case the joint. Not much to case just yet, perused the gift stores, and headed out to Celoron. (1 + 2) The new statue is veiled up tight for Saturday's unveiling. I tried to get a glimpse through any gaps in the case but there were no gaps to be found. Unusually, (3) the "Scary Lucy" statue seems to have been moved to a fresh new location in the park, now looking over the lake. The foundation it stands on looks freshly lain and there was yellow tape around it. Word then spread that Diane and Rhonda would be making a personal appearance at the Falconer Wegman's, as they are sponsoring the event. And (5) they were! On the way back, I stopped into a groovy looking thrift store and found TWO more Loper labels (the ones on the left and right). Now I don't know what to wear to tonight's gala!

jtown16-01.JPG

jtown16-02 (1).JPG

jtown16-03.JPG

jtown16-04.JPG

jtown06-05.JPG

Okay, folks, I rarely use the word, but the 65th Anniversary Exhibition at the Dykman Young Gallery is FABULOUS! What a treat. On display are the blue polka dot dress and Sally Sweet outfit that were on display at Universal Orlando, along with Lucy's wedding dress as featured in Yours Mine & Ours, one of the prop diamond rings from Lucy Meets The Burtons, several of Desi's suits, a number of handwritten notes from Lucy, including annotated scripts from Let's Talk to Lucy and Wildcat, backgammon boards, jewellery (including the A Star Is Born/Wealthy Widow necklace), the Danny Thomas nude painting, the beaded Deborah Fink getup from Jack Benny's Autobiography and many others, a robe, and a boatload of awards received by the series over the years -- all open to go in for a closer look. None of those dead, tired plexiglas cases for the artefacts. Well, aside from the jewellery.

My favourite feature, however, was this enormous light board featuring numerous slides from Lucy and Desi's personal collection laid out for people to look at through loupes. So interactive and so much fun. With the exception of one photo, I don't think any of these have been previously published. My three faves are below. Again, to use that word again, I don't think I can handle Lucy and Viv's fabulousness -- and the photo of the Desis might be my all-time favourite shot of father and son I've seen yet!

jtown16-gala-02.jpg

jtown16-gala-03.jpg

jtown16-gala-01.jpg

Great day in Jamestown, so far!

We got here around 1.30 p.m. and hit the Frame store, which is always my first port of call, to see if they had any groovy Lucy stuff for sale. (More on that later). Then we checked into the hotel, headed down to the train station to case the joint. Not much to case just yet, perused the gift stores, and headed out to Celoron. (1 + 2) The new statue is veiled up tight for Saturday's unveiling. I tried to get a glimpse through any gaps in the case but there were no gaps to be found. Unusually, (3) the "Scary Lucy" statue seems to have been moved to a fresh new location in the park, now looking over the lake. The foundation it stands on looks freshly lain and there was yellow tape around it. Word then spread that Diane and Rhonda would be making a personal appearance at the Falconer Wegman's, as they are sponsoring the event. And (5) they were! On the way back, I stopped into a groovy looking thrift store and found TWO more Loper labels (the ones on the left and right). Now I don't know what to wear to tonight's gala!

What wonderful thrift shop have you found????  DOWNTOWN (St. Lukes?)  or West Ellicott (Salvation Army; WE CALL IT SALLY ANN'S!!!)????  Not aware of too many others . . . oh, yes West Ellicott Strip Mall (across from Sams)???? They are connected to Humane Society; not sure if you would call Dykeman a Thrift Shop; but, high end if so.... 

SPILL, BROTHER!!!!!  :fabrary:  :HALKING:   ​

Okay, folks, I rarely use the word, but the 65th Anniversary Exhibition at the Dykman Young Gallery is FABULOUS! What a treat. On display are the blue polka dot dress and Sally Sweet outfit that were on display at Universal Orlando, along with Lucy's wedding dress as featured in Yours Mine & Ours, one of the prop diamond rings from Lucy Meets The Burtons, several of Desi's suits, a number of handwritten notes from Lucy, including annotated scripts from Let's Talk to Lucy and Wildcat, backgammon boards, jewellery (including the A Star Is Born/Wealthy Widow necklace), the Danny Thomas nude painting, the beaded Deborah Fink getup from Jack Benny's Autobiography and many others, a robe, and a boatload of awards received by the series over the years -- all open to go in for a closer look. None of those dead, tired plexiglas cases for the artefacts. Well, aside from the jewellery.

My favourite feature, however, was this enormous light board featuring numerous slides from Lucy and Desi's personal collection laid out for people to look at through loupes. So interactive and so much fun. With the exception of one photo, I don't think any of these have been previously published. My three faves are below. Again, to use that word again, I don't think I can handle Lucy and Viv's fabulousness -- and the photo of the Desis might be my all-time favourite shot of father and son I've seen yet!

TRICK SLIP-IN?????  jk

What do you mean?

Thought you just threw that in to see if we read your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!! :HALKING:

SO! I went there this a.m. to have a look-see; and SAW! 

Was REALLY looking for that photo of my father at Train Station LAST YEAR's festival; not at Station anymore; Waited until 11: - to Dykeman; found it in a much SMALLER version; had my camera this time!!!!!!!; now to find those who took a photo of the life size one last year.

No problem; except got TWO tickets one for parking using two spaces $20; [right REAR TIRE OVER ABOUT 2 INCHES INTO OTHER SLOT...SHIT]  one for outdated inspection sticker $25 (march!!!!); all my cars for 10 years have run out in August; Never thought to look.  Intelligent for a cop's wife, donchano!!!!!!  Now, I'm gunshy; have to get it inspected before I can venture out again; waiting on a call right now.  Hopefully, later today or early a.m.

SOUNDS LIKE A LUCYISM, DONCHATHINK????

Don't forget the huge yard sale et al at 59 Lucy Lane!  Hope to see you at unveiling or SOONER!

Love, JK (SIGH!!!!) :fabrary:

I wonder if it was the lights over the years. I have pictures of them from 96' and 01' and you could tell they were green and blue.

Yep. It's from the stagnant lighting pointed at them for over 20 years. From what I understand the Lucy A Tribute exhibits were only suppose to be at Universal for a few years not two decades. Sadly the same thing may/is happening at the museum in Jamestown. The clothing hasn't been change out and will/had fade and become distorted with time. May they'll be news that things are different for this year's festival?

Brock - If you were allowed to and did, please post some other photos from the gala. I wish I was there to attend that!

This was a fun day. The party got started, as usual in the Best Western lobby, then I went down to check out the silent auction at the train station. The most interesting things up for grabs are several of Vivian Vance's playbills, donated by Lou Ann. The provenance is one thing, but the opening bid of $100 each is far too steep. Following that, I went up to the Frame Store and bought a second TLS script and a gift for someone else, and then headed over to Celoron. It's always a treat to visit Lucy Lane and go through the house. It's now a tradition to touch Lucy's curtain rod. In due time, a legend will form to say doing so will bring good luck. I also met up with Taylor and Gypsy there, so it was great to see them again!

Following that, I met up with Justin at the Members' Only Party where several unique pieces were on display, including one of Lucy's monogrammed drinking glasses, a few pieces from the LBP offices, a very heavy silver paperweight, several pieces of Lucy's jewellery, a scale model of the ILL set and, the neatest thing, a scrapbooks of clippings given to Lucy and Desi by the cast and crew. It was gold embossed with that info and just inside the front cover, was a full page of signatures from those gifting it! The one unfortunate part is there was no explanation as to what the items actually were so, for the casual fan, it wouldn't have been very informative. I would have loved to know more about the paperweight that was on display as well as some of the jewellery (I only recognized one pair of earrings), but, alas...

Following the Members Only, Justin and I did one last perusal at the Frame Store before grabbing Mike Elliott (Uncle Harry) and my mother and doing a brief road trip to the bustling metropolis of Salamanca on a Lucy memorabilia tip off. The antique mall is absolutely huge, a place where you could get lost for hours, but the tip was a good one. I got a couple of things but Justin scored the big one.

Afterwards, I freshened up and joined the crew at the Little Ricky dinner (formerly the Lou Ann Graham) dinner. The meal was actually pretty good and the twins were fun when talking about their lives and experiences. A nice touch was every place setting included an autographed postcard from the boys. But, the event suffered from a lack of emcee. These are always necessary and it is unfortunate there was no host this year.

Following that was the Lewis Black show, which was hilarious.

Afterwards, a few of us ended the day at a bar and here I am back at the Best Western.

Up tomorrow morning: the Little Rickys boat cruise on Lake Chautauqua.

Peter, I'll certainly post photos for you tomorrow!

This was a fun day. The party got started, as usual in the Best Western lobby, then I went down to check out the silent auction at the train station. The most interesting things up for grabs are several of Vivian Vance's playbills, donated by Lou Ann. The provenance is one thing, but the opening bid of $100 each is far too steep. Following that, I went up to the Frame Store and bought a second TLS script and a gift for someone else, and then headed over to Celoron. It's always a treat to visit Lucy Lane and go through the house. It's now a tradition to touch Lucy's curtain rod. In due time, a legend will form to say doing so will bring good luck. I also met up with Taylor and Gypsy there, so it was great to see them again!

Following that, I met up with Justin at the Members' Only Party where several unique pieces were on display, including one of Lucy's monogrammed drinking glasses, a few pieces from the LBP offices, a very heavy silver paperweight, several pieces of Lucy's jewellery, a scale model of the ILL set and, the neatest thing, a scrapbooks of clippings given to Lucy and Desi by the cast and crew. It was gold embossed with that info and just inside the front cover, was a full page of signatures from those gifting it! The one unfortunate part is there was no explanation as to what the items actually were so, for the casual fan, it wouldn't have been very informative. I would have loved to know more about the paperweight that was on display as well as some of the jewellery (I only recognized one pair of earrings), but, alas...

Following the Members Only, Justin and I did one last perusal at the Frame Store before grabbing Mike Elliott (Uncle Harry) and my mother and doing a brief road trip to the bustling metropolis of Salamanca on a Lucy memorabilia tip off. The antique mall is absolutely huge, a place where you could get lost for hours, but the tip was a good one. I got a couple of things but Justin scored the big one.

Afterwards, I freshened up and joined the crew at the Little Ricky dinner (formerly the Lou Ann Graham) dinner. The meal was actually pretty good and the twins were fun when talking about their lives and experiences. A nice touch was every place setting included an autographed postcard from the boys. But, the event suffered from a lack of emcee. These are always necessary and it is unfortunate there was no host this year.

Following that was the Lewis Black show, which was hilarious.

Afterwards, a few of us ended the day at a bar and here I am back at the Best Western.

Up tomorrow morning: the Little Rickys boat cruise on Lake Chautauqua.

Peter, I'll certainly post photos for you tomorrow!

Not sure whether it was the wording or what but these piqued my curiousity! Do tell!! :HALKING:

I never checked the schedule given I knew I couldn't go so am curious, is Wanda or Frank or any other Lucy "contingent" in attendance?? Please say "hello" if they are!! :peachonthebeach:

Not sure whether it was the wording or what but these piqued my curiousity! Do tell!! :HALKING:

I never checked the schedule given I knew I couldn't go so am curious, is Wanda or Frank or any other Lucy "contingent" in attendance?? Please say "hello" if they are!! :peachonthebeach:

Seems to me 'they' are not willing to be here anymore without the great arrdubya!  If they ONLY knew the truth!  Sad; but true!  Just my former self throwing that out there; was a nice conversation piece at luncheon today, as well.  Some folks just don't 'get it'....