The I Love Lucy Superstar Special (John Wayne Edition) - Sunday, May 22 on CBS!

HarryCarter

What I find funny is so many people complaining about the colorization when...it's obviously not being done for them but the newer generations.

Ratings alone show the world is interested in more color lucy or they wouldn't be wasting the money on them.

Dvd's, vhs and now blu ray's of the original B/W show will always be there,

It's not so much the colorization itself I have an issue with, not anymore. It's more the attitudes of entitlement some people display. CBS and the Lucy team have bent over backwards to give us top-notch releases of her material, and now they've made it a yearly routine to do these specials yet it's never enough. No matter what they do, how far they go, people scream for more, and not always very nicely. Some of the Amazon reviews for the Lucy Christmas DVD are so petty it's sickening (Black and White sucks, gimme color and gimme it now!)

I guess I'm just tired of this mindset that demands they be exclusively catered to. Rather than make the effort to accept something as it is, everything has to be modified to accommodate them. And when that does happen, it's still not good enough and petitions for everything and more start popping up.

We can only fathom how costly and time consuming a process colorization is and it clearly cannot happen overnight. Team Lucy continues to go above and beyond trying to give the fans what they want...no, demand... so just show a little patience and gratitude for what you've got so far and will get in the future.

(I'm not necessarily addressing only you, AJ, this is speaking to all in general.)

• Like 3

It's not so much the colorization itself I have an issue with, not anymore. It's more the attitudes of entitlement some people display. CBS and the Lucy team have bent over backwards to give us top-notch releases of her material, and now they've made it a yearly routine to do these specials yet it's never enough. No matter what they do, how far they go, people scream for more, and not always very nicely. Some of the Amazon reviews for the Lucy Christmas DVD are so petty it's sickening (Black and White sucks, gimme color and gimme it now!)

I guess I'm just tired of this mindset that demands they be exclusively catered to. Rather than make the effort to accept something as it is, everything has to be modified to accommodate them. And when that does happen, it's still not good enough and petitions for everything and more start popping up.

We can only fathom how costly and time consuming a process colorization is and it clearly cannot happen overnight. Team Lucy continues to go above and beyond trying to give the fans what they want...no, demand... so just show a little patience and gratitude for what you've got so far and will get in the future.

(I'm not necessarily addressing only you, AJ, this is speaking to all in general.)

I absolutely get where you're coming from when you put it that way, just wish other people would look at it from this perspective. I'm over the moon that CBS care enough to do this twice a year and that's more than enough for me right now. Colorization is incredibly time consuming when I do it so I can only imagine how time consuming it is to do a full episode, which is why I wish people would show a bit more respect for that simple fact. I remember I colorized the scene where Lucy and Ethel pop through the screen in the Japanese episode, was only like 10 seconds and it took almost a week to do it frame by frame.

• Like 3

I enjoy seeing I LOVE LUCY in primetime, but digital color doesn't enhance my personal enjoyment. (However, I won't begrudge anyone who does find the series more entertaining, or for newer viewers, accessible, in this manner.)

Frankly, my current LUCY objective is getting the broadcast elements for everything that was presented during the original '51-'57 run -- particularly the repeats, because many of them had new scenes -- preserved for the ages. (And the TLDCH too, especially because I still believe there are scenes that were left off the DVD -- not just in the Bankhead episode.) 

So my support of colorization comes only from the small hope that there would be enough of a profit from this project that could then go into funding the preservation effort, which I think is much more artistically essential.

At any rate, I watch every new broadcast and will purchase any new release, if need be, so I'd love to know more about the colorization business model and how it's paying off so far!

• Like 1

I enjoy seeing I LOVE LUCY in primetime, but digital color doesn't enhance my personal enjoyment.

That's exactly how I feel about it. It's fascinating from a curiosity standpoint for sure, but for me, personally, it isn't necessary. I am pleased it has apparently rekindled popularity in the show and hopefully will encourage more DVD sales. I'm sure CBS's more reasonably priced complete series set was issued to address renewed demand.

I'm hoping the network eventually expands beyond I Love Lucy and capitalizes on her popularity with special airings of The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy. No colorization necessary there for the most part. It'd be great to reintroduce those shows to the general public.

• Like 1

Just to throw in my two cents, I must admit that "The Fashion Show" and "The Tour" would make good candidates for future color entries. For many episodes, I don't find color adds all that much, but those two I could see benefitting from it. All those Don Loper gowns that he so conveniently describes the colors of, plus all the great Hollywood location footage of the latter would really pop.

• Like 1

I enjoy seeing I LOVE LUCY in primetime, but digital color doesn't enhance my personal enjoyment.

I get that, but something struck me when I saw the colorized "L.A. at Last!" last year.  That scene when Fred comes through the door wearing that crazy "Hollywood" shirt.  I never really laughed at that before.  But when I saw it in color, the color gave it such a powerful punch.  I belly laughed at that scene for the first time ever.  Some things just work better in color, if the color is done right.  And these guys are doing it right.

• Like 3

I enjoy seeing I LOVE LUCY in primetime, but digital color doesn't enhance my personal enjoyment. (However, I won't begrudge anyone who does find the series more entertaining, or for newer viewers, accessible, in this manner.)

Frankly, my current LUCY objective is getting the broadcast elements for everything that was presented during the original '51-'57 run -- particularly the repeats, because many of them had new scenes -- preserved for the ages. (And the TLDCH too, especially because I still believe there are scenes that were left off the DVD -- not just in the Bankhead episode.) 

So my support of colorization comes only from the small hope that there would be enough of a profit from this project that could then go into funding the preservation effort, which I think is much more artistically essential.

At any rate, I watch every new broadcast and will purchase any new release, if need be, so I'd love to know more about the colorization business model and how it's paying off so far!

I am very much the same. I'm still holding out hope that the ultimate blu-ray sets will continue sooner or later, because as an American treasure and institution, every frame of Lucy needs to be preserved for future generations.

• Like 3

I get that, but something struck me what I saw the colorized "L.A. at Last!" last year.  That scene when Fred comes though the door wearing that crazy "Hollywood" shirt.  I never really laughed at that before.  But when I saw it in color, the color gave it such a powerful punch.  I belly laughed at that scene for the first time ever.  Some things just work better in color, if the color is done right.  And these guys are doing it right.

The colorization issue has usually been a matter of personal predilection. I've always tended to avoid these debates when they periodically arise, because they often go in circles. Also, I'm conflicted. I'm generally a purist at heart, but the issue isn't so black-and-white (pun fully intended). As always, I understand that some find the color to be an enhancer, particularly in certain episodes and moments (like the one expressed above). I'd like to be able to feel the same, but I'm not there... yet. 

I am still unable to suspend my knowledge that the colorization is artificial, particularly when it comes to the humans. (I don't mean to knock anyone's hard work, for which I'll always remain appreciative, or to downplay the aesthetic strides made. I think it's much better than the work done on BEWITCHED, but not nearly the quality of a series actually produced in color, like THE LUCY SHOW, for instance.) So as a result, it's difficult for me to focus on the show itself when the visuals are earning my attention, both positively and negatively. And this puts the color in direct competition with the very reasons I found the series entertaining in the first place: the material and the performances.

However, I think it would be interesting to hear from someone who discovered the series though these color broadcasts, because I'm sure his/her reaction would be radically different from mine, given that the visuals weren't acting as an imposed distraction, but merely as an element inherent within the work. In fact, I believe most of my issues stem from the fact that I know the series so well and find color inconsequential to its entertainment value, especially because I believe that the process of colorization is not yet perfected. But, as always, enjoyment is predicated on expectations -- where we set them and where they're met -- and I just try to be open to anything. 

And, once again, I like the idea of colorization from a commercial perspective. As previously stated, I don't think it's artistically meritorious (yet), but I'll 100% support the business reasons for doing so, in the belief that other ventures, like the restoration of the original broadcast elements, will reap some of the benefits. And, in the meantime, more people are seeing the show and reaffirming its timeless appeal, which does a diehard fan's heart good. 

• Like 2

I absolutely get where you're coming from when you put it that way, just wish other people would look at it from this perspective. I'm over the moon that CBS care enough to do this twice a year and that's more than enough for me right now. Colorization is incredibly time consuming when I do it so I can only imagine how time consuming it is to do a full episode, which is why I wish people would show a bit more respect for that simple fact. I remember I colorized the scene where Lucy and Ethel pop through the screen in the Japanese episode, was only like 10 seconds and it took almost a week to do it frame by frame.

We would love to see those 10 seconds. Or at least stills.

The colorization issue has usually been a matter of personal predilection. I've always tended to avoid these debates when they periodically arise, because they often go in circles. Also, I'm conflicted. I'm generally a purist at heart, but the issue isn't so black-and-white (pun fully intended). As always, I understand that some find the color to be an enhancer, particularly in certain episodes and moments (like the one expressed above). I'd like to be able to feel the same, but I'm not there... yet.

I am still unable to suspend my knowledge that the colorization is artificial, particularly when it comes to the humans. (I don't mean to knock anyone's hard work, for which I'll always remain appreciative, or to downplay the aesthetic strides made. I think it's much better than the work done on BEWITCHED, but not nearly the quality of a series actually produced in color, like THE LUCY SHOW, for instance.) So as a result, it's difficult for me to focus on the show itself when the visuals are earning my attention, both positively and negatively. And this puts the color in direct competition with the very reasons I found the series entertaining in the first place: the material and the performances.

However, I think it would be interesting to hear from someone who discovered the series though these color broadcasts, because I'm sure his/her reaction would be radically different from mine, given that the visuals weren't acting as an imposed distraction, but merely as an element inherent within the work. In fact, I believe most of my issues stem from the fact that I know the series so well and find color inconsequential to its entertainment value, especially because I believe that the process of colorization is not yet perfected. But, as always, enjoyment is predicated on expectations -- where we set them and where they're met -- and I just try to be open to anything.

And, once again, I like the idea of colorization from a commercial perspective. As previously stated, I don't think it's artistically meritorious (yet), but I'll 100% support the business reasons for doing so, in the belief that other ventures, like the restoration of the original broadcast elements, will reap some of the benefits. And, in the meantime, more people are seeing the show and reaffirming its timeless appeal, which does a diehard fan's heart good.

Thank you for so eloquently articulating this point of view. I've wanted to say the exact same thing for a long time but couldn't figure out how to phrase it. As much as the technology has advanced, and as dedicated, researched and brilliant as the work has been, it nevertheless retains an appearance of artificiality. I'm very aware I'm looking at something that has been colorized and, for me, the palette draws attention to itself. I find I'm so preoccupied taking in the color that I'm not as focused on the performances underneath it.

That's why I think doing it gradually has been a wise idea. To rush all of them out at once would be overkill (in my opinion) and would likely cause a much stronger backlash than one or two at a time. This way, at least, it allows people like myself who aren't fully sold on the idea to adjust slowly and gradually to the modified aesthetic (not to mention evolving technology may allow future installments to look even better than the ones we're seeing now).

I know I've been irrationally hot-headed about this in the past and I am moving past that, but some of my points still stand. Speaking for myself, I probably never will fully come to terms with it. The colorized versions will never replace the black and white episodes for me, and I must admit it does sadden me somewhat to think of the number of people who likely never want to see it in black and white again. But I am at least adjusting to them as curious alternatives, and I can only hope that newcomers will want to check out more episodes regardless of what color (or lack thereof) they are.

• Like 2

"He was putty in the hands of ol' Bone-Crusher Mertz!"

"We thought it was so more of little Freddie's fingerprinting".  I'm really looking forward to these.  As far as other episodes mentioned in previous posts, I love "The Tour" up until the aftermath of getting stuck in the house: crawling under bear rug, etc.  The ending seems like it's padded for time. But you can't beat......"and I've been waiting out there for an hour and she hasn't come out and ...STOP SAYING MADAM YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG NUMBER!"

It's amazing how much they talk about the color of things when it's in b/w and we just accept it.  The studio audience sees it in color of course.  So many mentions of Lucy as the "redhead" (including "She'll fight for our club.  You can tell that from the color of her hair") but unless you saw color pics in a magazine or went to "Long Long Trailer" you never saw her actual hair color.  

Ditto with 2nd season "Meets a Millionaire" Lucy Show originally broadcast in b/w.  Part of the joke is that she emerges from a vat of GREEN dye and she's "just the right color for the St. Patrick's Day Dance".   To viewers, it was just another shade of grey.  

I am very much the same. I'm still holding out hope that the ultimate blu-ray sets will continue sooner or later, because as an American treasure and institution, every frame of Lucy needs to be preserved for future generations.

:desi1:  I have a "sinking filling" it will pick up again soon. Don't cross your bridges before they're hatched just yet! 

• Like 1

Mr. Watson reports the special has been moved to Friday, May 20 at the same time.

Dang it!  While CBS (usually) wins the night Fridays with its stalwart line up of Amazing Race/Hawaii 5-0/Blue Bloods, viewership (including key 18-49 demo) is historically much higher on Sundays, where it was originally scheduled so ultimately this means less eyeballs than it would most likely have originally garnered (and this is a sweeps period, which is one of the reasons it's airing in this timeframe)....still, I have faith it'll do well.

It's just now it probably won't do the numbers it would have!

Can't help wonder what bonehead executive made this decision??   :blink:

We were going to be up against the BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS on ABC again this year (on Sunday), so the "powers that be" at CBS thought that the special would do better on Friday night. I think, but am not sure, that our replacement on Sunday will be just an extended two-hour version of 60 MINUTES.  They were trying to give the special a better shot...

• Like 1

So is the future of primetime colorized specials riding on the 20th alone, or will the high ratings of all the others be taken into consideration by CBS?

I just hope that if this special doesn't do as well, it won't deter the bigwigs from continuing this terrific new tradition.

We would love to see those 10 seconds. Or at least stills.

Sadly I lost the video when my hard drive gave out last winter, but I'd be more than happy to redo a screen from this scene :)

Edit: It's not perfect but I tried to base her hair color off how it looks in The Lucy Show, while trying to keep that retro look CBS goes for.

kar3gVf.png

• Like 2

Sadly I lost the video when my hard drive gave out last winter, but I'd be more than happy to redo a screen from this scene :)

Edit: It's not perfect but I tried to base her hair color off how it looks in The Lucy Show, while trying to keep that retro look CBS goes for.

kar3gVf.png

Great match!

• Like 1

kar3gVf.png

Great match!

What a shame. Looks nice though.

• Like 1

Thank you both, maybe I'll colorize some more stills in the future :) if you have any suggestions feel free to private message me so we don't clutter this thread lol

Why can't her hair color look more like this in the colorized specials??? I absolutely detest the way it looks on those shows looks to me.like a punk rock star lol

• Like 1