Keith Andes

First Charles Lane as Barnsdahl and now THIS???

From the Carol Burnett book:

Up for the Vicki Lawrence part, originally to be limited to 'Carol and Sis' sketches were Joyce Bullivant and Heather North, the latter "had a part on the 1966 NBC soap Paradise Bay.  It was trial by fire because the original lead Keith Andes couldn't remember his lines and left, forcing Heather and Marion Ross who played her mother to learn more dialogue to compensate for his departure."

And as far as Joyce Bullivant playing "Sis" in the "Carol and Sis" segments: she was just a few years younger than Carol. BTW, I met Joyce at one of Gregg Oppenheimer's Old Radio show's after-party.  Saw her up close and she looks EXACTLY the same as she always did.  

About Lane/Barnsdahl: I, for one, have never bought the idea the Charles Lane was let go because he had trouble remembering lines.  Before the first season was released on DVD and The Lucy Book, which listed the supporting cast of each show, I was floored that Lane appeared in only FOUR episodes.  "Sheep" "$2000" "Kangaroo" and "Viv Sues".  He made enough of an impression that it seemed like he appeared on many more.  It was NOT as has sometimes been written that Gale Gordon became available.  Lane was off the show a mere 2 months after its debut and "Dennis the Menace" had not yet faced its season-end cancellation.  So, what WAS the real reason?

First Charles Lane as Barnsdahl and now THIS???

From the Carol Burnett book:

Up for the Vicki Lawrence part, originally to be limited to 'Carol and Sis' sketches were Joyce Bullivant and Heather North, the latter "had a part on the 1966 NBC soap Paradise Bay.  It was trial by fire because the original lead Keith Andes couldn't remember his lines and left, forcing Heather and Marion Ross who played her mother to learn more dialogue to compensate for his departure."

And as far as Joyce Bullivant playing "Sis" in the "Carol and Sis" segments: she was just a few years younger than Carol. BTW, I met Joyce at one of Gregg Oppenheimer's Old Radio show's after-party.  Saw her up close and she looks EXACTLY the same as she always did.  

About Lane/Barnsdahl: I, for one, have never bought the idea the Charles Lane was let go because he had trouble remembering lines.  Before the first season was released on DVD and The Lucy Book, which listed the supporting cast of each show, I was floored that Lane appeared in only FOUR episodes.  "Sheep" "$2000" "Kangaroo" and "Viv Sues".  He made enough of an impression that it seemed like he appeared on many more.  It was NOT as has sometimes been written that Gale Gordon became available.  Lane was off the show a mere 2 months after its debut and "Dennis the Menace" had not yet faced its season-end cancellation.  So, what WAS the real reason?

Maybe that was just an excuse made up to cover the fact they didn't really need him. His character was funny but was even more one-note than Mr. Mooney. I don't think there was a lot more they could've done with him. Dick Martin, through no fault of his own, was also superfluous. I would suppose the writers decided to refocus that first season squarely on Lucy and Viv.

The late great Lane, the subject of the GAB guys' next project ("You Know the Face") was a veteran, theater trained actor and I've always wondered the same thing: how could someone of his caliber be "let go" for such a suspect reason? I don't buy it, particularly since he went on to do tons more television, some of which also utilized the "Desilu"-perfected multicamera with an audience scenario (e.g. Soap).  I do however, and with some sadness, now believe it was simply more likely that he and Big Red simply didn't "click". 

Well...not everybody gets along, or fits in an ensemble, you simply don't know these things until it's put on its feet.

I still marvel too though at how few episodes he actually did appear in as I agree, he certainly did leave an impression.

:peachonthebeach:

https://www.facebook.com/You-Know-the-Face-113734855311342/info?tab=page_info

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps one reason Lane made such an impression, despite appearing in only four episodes, is because his presence could be felt even when he didn't appear. Plus, his character at least was mentioned and was given a reason for his departure, unlike poor Harry, who must've flown away one day and vanished like Amelia.

As much as I hate to say it, Lane as Barnsdahl made more of an impression in his four episodes than Dick Martin did in his ten. I don't think that was necessarily Martin's fault, it was more his character was limited in what he could offer. Had more episodes like "Double Dates" been produced, there might've been reason for keeping him around.

• Like 1