William Schallert dies at 93

Brock

Is "The Patty Duke" show his best known work?  He was certainly serviceable as Martin Lane (and his brother--or was it cousin?--the TWIN, of course) but it was a pretty thankless part.   I don't know that he got a chance to do outright comedy like he did in his 2 "Lucy Show" appearances.  Which is a shame, because he was great.  "Mrs Carmichael!  You're stretching my Alpaca!!"

While the first two seasons of TLS contained no actual story arcs (unless you count the Merman two-parter), there was at least SOME continuity of Danfield characters, none of which appeared in the third season--unless I missed one.   (Ann Sothern as the Countess, I guess but other than the character, the 4 episodes can have no real arc when you have three different sets of writers and a head writer who gives not a rip about continuity.)

Having a premise grounded in realism is when Lucy's comedy works the best.  Shallert returning as the go-to coach for Danfield sports is a good example when really, any actor playing any character could have played the volunteer's softball coach.   It's one of those "little things" and when you have enough little things, it makes Danfield more believable: cat-lady Grandma Sutton, Flo the manicurist, Billy "alright...who's the WISE GUY?" Simmons, Ralph Bagley, Sgt. Wilcox, Professor Gitterman and the girls: Audrey, Frannie, Thelma, Dorothy, Kathleen.

I would like to have seen more of Miss Tanner, Mr. Bundy, local celebrity Larry McAdoo and Viv's beau Eddie....and sure, there were lapses:  TWO Ted Mooneys; Kathleen Freeman as head nurse, then one of the gals; Carole Cook as Thelma Green, then one of Lucy's charleston dancing college chums.  Merman displacing Viv in her room "for 4 or 5 weeks", then she's gone. 

And my big unanswered puzzlement: We have to assume there was only one bed in Viv's room, so can only shudder when speculating what the sleeping arrangement was for one-week renters Jerry Sherwood and mother ROberta who most likely sang "Up a Lazy River" in her sleep  (THERE'S your Robert Sherwood pilot!) 

• Like 1

While the first two seasons of TLS contained no actual story arcs (unless you count the Merman two-parter), there was at least SOME continuity of Danfield characters, none of which appeared in the third season--unless I missed one.  

Lucy and Mooney getting locked in the vault was a two-parter, mini story arc.

Lucy and Mooney getting locked in the vault was a two-parter, mini story arc.

I would have run "Locked in Vault" as the season opener.  At least there's a reference to the previous season (Barndahl).  Both parts are strong episodes.  I do like "Cleopatra" although the last scene goes on just a bit too long  (one too many "The end is near!"'s) . After Mooney came on board, were there any 2nd season episodes that did not feature Gale except for "College Reunion"?

Amazing how the Lucy-Mooney relationship fell into place right from the beginning.  This is my favorite season mainly because it's the only season where Bob and Madelyn write for Lucy and Gale.  The Mooney character is more grounded and much less blustery than any other season.  

Is "The Patty Duke" show his best known work?  He was certainly serviceable as Martin Lane (and his brother--or was it cousin?--the TWIN, of course) but it was a pretty thankless part.   I don't know that he got a chance to do outright comedy like he did in his 2 "Lucy Show" appearances.  Which is a shame, because he was great.  "Mrs Carmichael!  You're stretching my Alpaca!!"

While the first two seasons of TLS contained no actual story arcs (unless you count the Merman two-parter), there was at least SOME continuity of Danfield characters, none of which appeared in the third season--unless I missed one.   (Ann Sothern as the Countess, I guess but other than the character, the 4 episodes can have no real arc when you have three different sets of writers and a head writer who gives not a rip about continuity.)

Having a premise grounded in realism is when Lucy's comedy works the best.  Shallert returning as the go-to coach for Danfield sports is a good example when really, any actor playing any character could have played the volunteer's softball coach.   It's one of those "little things" and when you have enough little things, it makes Danfield more believable: cat-lady Grandma Sutton, Flo the manicurist, Billy "alright...who's the WISE GUY?" Simmons, Ralph Bagley, Sgt. Wilcox, Professor Gitterman and the girls: Audrey, Frannie, Thelma, Dorothy, Kathleen.

I would like to have seen more of Miss Tanner, Mr. Bundy, local celebrity Larry McAdoo and Viv's beau Eddie....and sure, there were lapses:  TWO Ted Mooneys; Kathleen Freeman as head nurse, then one of the gals; Carole Cook as Thelma Green, then one of Lucy's charleston dancing college chums.  Merman displacing Viv in her room "for 4 or 5 weeks", then she's gone. 

And my big unanswered puzzlement: We have to assume there was only one bed in Viv's room, so can only shudder when speculating what the sleeping arrangement was for one-week renters Jerry Sherwood and mother ROberta who most likely sang "Up a Lazy River" in her sleep  (THERE'S your Robert Sherwood pilot!)

Having just watched both of his episodes, I have to agree about it being one of the "little things" that makes Danfield really feel like a nice little community. It's unfortunate all the recurring characters were ignored for season 3, they added so much extra color. Yes, Carole Cook was given the new recurring role of Mrs. Valance, but she never had the comedic moments that Thelma Green afforded her. Season 3 is also the only season not to feature any appearances by Mary Jane Croft.

Aside from Patty Duke's "dad", I'll always think of him as Red Woodloe. ;)

Also forgot he was also Pamela Sue Martin's dad (Mr. Drew - Professor, I think) on ABC's "Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries".