I Loved Lucy comes to New York on July 21

Brock

I saw it a few years ago when it was in Laguna Beach. If I remember correctly it wasn't bad but painted Lucy to be one who drank a lot, was really sarcastic, told stories (some not so nice) about her "friends" and stole flatware from a hotel. It's been a white since I read his book but I think it was similar to that but more drama. I heard a story that when the play first opened, think in Socal, Lucie attended and afterwards went up to Lee and slapped him in the face. Not sure how much truth there is to that.  

• Like 1

I saw it a few years ago when it was in Laguna Beach. If I remember correctly it wasn't bad but painted Lucy to be one who drank a lot, was really sarcastic, told stories (some not so nice) about her "friends" and stole flatware from a hotel. It's been a white since I read his book but I think it was similar to that but more drama. I heard a story that when the play first opened, think in Socal, Lucie attended and afterwards went up to Lee and slapped him in the face. Not sure how much truth there is to that.  

If she didn't...she shoulda! :blink:

• Like 1

So did I.  At Laguna Beach.  I wasn't too impressed.  The actress playing Lucy played her more like Estelle Getty.  To give her her due, it was an impossible task, destined to please nobody no matter if she went for a dead-on impression or her own interpretation.  

I don't know Lee and I'm sure he had good intentions, but.......the book was not Lucy in a real positive light.  Not horrible, just nowhere near an affectionate  tribute.  I was surprised Lucie was disenchanted with the play because, as has been said, she wrote something included in the book and the play is not much different.

It's been long enough since I read it that I get it confused with Jim Brochu's book Lucy in the Afternoon.  Both used the phrase "it was like a scene out of I Love Lucy and I was Ethel";  and both sent her into gales of laughter with what was IMO not exactly A-material.  After punchlines like "it's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it.",  Lucy's "laughter rocked Roxbury Drive". 

• Like 2

So did I.  At Laguna Beach.  I wasn't too impressed.  The actress playing Lucy played her more like Estelle Getty.  To give her her due, it was an impossible task, destined to please nobody no matter if she went for a dead-on impression or her own interpretation.  

I don't know Lee and I'm sure he had good intentions, but.......the book was not Lucy in a real positive light.  Not horrible, just nowhere near an affectionate  tribute.  I was surprised Lucie was disenchanted with the play because, as has been said, she wrote something included in the book and the play is not much different.

It's been long enough since I read it that I get it confused with Jim Brochu's book Lucy in the Afternoon.  Both used the phrase "it was like a scene out of I Love Lucy and I was Ethel";  and both sent her into gales of laughter with what was IMO not exactly A-material.  After punchlines like "it's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it.",  Lucy's "laughter rocked Roxbury Drive". 

Two opportunists walked into a Beverly Hills "mansion" and both wrote less than flattering (well, except where THEY were concerned! :blink: ) books after she passed....Hmmmmm.

Yet they were both "dear, dear friends"! Please! :lucyeww:

The thing with Lee's book is he makes it sound like she totally relied on him, that he was like a husband when Gary wasn't around. But when you get down to how much time over those 10 years they spent together it wasn't a lot. I enjoyed the stories and I do think it was a good window into a decade we don't know that much about.

I'm ok with him writing a book given he didn't do it 2 seconds after she died but why the play? That seemed a little opportunistic to me.

So then this brings up a question. Why didn't Gary accompany Lucy more to the events Lee did. The Fort Brag trip and what seemed to be numerous trips to NYC. I know Gary didn't go to Snowmass because he hated the cold. And he was there for Kennedy Center and I think Hasty Pudding. Golf games couldn't have kept him that busy.

• Like 1

The thing with Lee's book is he makes it sound like she totally relied on him, that he was like a husband when Gary wasn't around. But when you get down to how much time over those 10 years they spent together it wasn't a lot. I enjoyed the stories and I do think it was a good window into a decade we don't know that much about.

I'm ok with him writing a book given he didn't do it 2 seconds after she died but why the play? That seemed a little opportunistic to me.

So then this brings up a question. Why didn't Gary accompany Lucy more to the events Lee did. The Fort Brag trip and what seemed to be numerous trips to NYC. I know Gary didn't go to Snowmass because he hated the cold. And he was there for Kennedy Center and I think Hasty Pudding. Golf games couldn't have kept him that busy.

How was the book any less "opportunistic" than the play?  They both came along long after our heroine was around to defend herself. :fabrary:

Well ...I've often wondered the same thing and can't help wondering if "playing golf" wasn't a euphemism for something ...else. :blink:

• Like 1

I think one of the biggest critisims of Gary in those years was how much he was away playing golf. But also have read and heard how much he checked in with her and how much she trusted he was on the golf course. Did he just learn that you needed to cover your ass with her?

• Like 1

The absence of Gary was curious to me too.  LBP was still in existence and maybe there were potential projects (resurrecting "Bungle Abbey" perhaps).

Yes, both books were a bit self-aggrandizing but I enjoyed them both.  Had I lived in LA in the 80s, I have to admit I would have been consumed with childish jealousy.  Backgammon seems like a boring game to me, but I would have learned it. 

However, I question when people quote actual dialogue because who can remember exactly what was said.  But if Lucy thought Jim's or Lee's one-liners were HILARIOUS, no wonder she kept Milt Josefsburg on for 8 years.

I don't think Brochu's book coming so soon after her death (a year?) was in particular poor taste.  For that matter, nor do I think the CBS TV movie which was damned by the family (TV Guide cover story: "An angry family speaks out") was any different than the much later "Lucy" produced by Arluck. 

As far as the play (which was Lee's not Jim's), hey---a guy's gotta make a living.   And Lee may have been approached by a play producer who saw possibilities....like "Mame"'s  "Man in the Moon" operetta: ILL-FATED! 

:viv2:  "And then what happened?.....Uh and then what happened will amaze you!"

Probably NO PHOTOGs at Snowmass; maybe the glue wouldn't 'stick' in the cold!!!! :HALKING:

How was the book any less "opportunistic" than the play?  They both came along long after our heroine was around to defend herself. :fabrary:

Well ...I've often wondered the same thing and can't help wondering if "playing golf" wasn't a euphemism for something ...else. :blink:

"Playing golf" was definitely a euphemism for something else.  I don't think Gary was 100% faithful to Lucy, but as Lee Tannen once said, "Gary was a lot of things, but he never cheated on Lucy!"  Uh, with all due respect, Lee, how the hell would you know that for sure?  I liked his book too but there were parts in there where he was quite presumptuous.  If Ms. Ball were to see this play she would probably be spinning in her grave.  This one and that "I Love Lucy Live on Stage" crap.  That one looks pretty cheesy.  

• Like 1

"Playing golf" was definitely a euphemism for something else.  I don't think Gary was 100% faithful to Lucy, but as Lee Tannen once said, "Gary was a lot of things, but he never cheated on Lucy!"  Uh, with all due respect, Lee, how the hell would you know that for sure?  I liked his book too but there were parts in there where he was quite presumptuous.  If Ms. Ball were to see this play she would probably be spinning in her grave.  This one and that "I Love Lucy Live on Stage" crap.  That one looks pretty cheesy.  

Thank you!!! :HALKING:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that people who tried to make Lucille laugh failed, and didn't 'get' her sense of humor. But someone like Betty White said funny things sort of off-hand and cracked her up, like on Password. And Gale Gordon, when he ad libbed the line about doorknobs, on Here's Lucy.