Ethel's Birthday

I think this episode is really underrated. The whole hostess pants storyline is hysterical. I wish I knew what color they were. I think they were yellow, with red and green diamonds. 

I also love the whole Over the Teacups scene, especially the ending when the guy behind them is crying hysterically.  :marionstrong:

:lucyeww: I implied that she was a little bit hippy. On second glance she does have the biggest POTAMUS I've ever seen! 

I wonder whatever happened to the pants. Did Ethel keep them and wear them to those non existent smart dinner parties she throws? 

• Like 1

Underrated? I don't think so. It's certainly one of my all-time favorites, one I watch much more often than most others.(*)

Betcha if you did an informal "poll" of fans here on the board that this ep would come up on most folks' top 20 favorites -- it certainly would be in mine!

Off topic a bit but this reminds me last night with "500 channels and nothing on (regular) TV" I popped in my 2nd season blu-ray and watched a disc's worth of eps and while I couldn't have enjoyed them more -- and think I noticed a "blooper" I've never noticed before!! -- it made me rather melancholy to think these fine efforts are stopped (at least for now) with this first "great" ILL season.  Having been spoiled with the incomparable clarity, the ease which you can select single episodes or just hit "play all" to run the entire disc to the WUNDAFUL bonus features favored upon us by Tom, Jonathan, Rick and everyone else involved in its production makes me very sad.

I really wish CB$ hadn't been so short-sighted and found a way to release these initially with much more realistic suggested retail prices (which would subsequently be heavily discounted by Amazon and many other retailers), I truly think we would not have seen these cease production. :blink:

Pity.

(*) It also goes to my long-held "theory" that many of the "best"/funniest ILL eps don't have to be centered around a "big guest star" or physical/slapstick block "pay off" last scene; rather, when our "fearsome foursome" are left to their own devices, as in this prime example, genuine, if not superior comedy gold is made! :lucythrill:

• Like 1

Ethel's Birthday is a non-Hollywood standout from the fourth season, which is a pretty incredible feat to pull off.

It's probably in my top ten.

Exactly! And I've been meaning to tell you "thanks" and how much I LOVE your Anita "button" signature -- it gives me a huge smile everytime I see it so....again: Thank you! :peachonthebeach:

• Like 1

SO.....what is this "blooper" you caught?

Ethel's Birthday is I Love Lucy at its absolute best.  My favorite episodes are when all 4 of them have standout moments.   The added bonus of this episode is that the audio from the play is so realistic in tonal quality and the play scene itself is actually well-written  and acted.  That 4th season cannot be topped. 

Watch Lucy in the scene after the hostess pants fight where it's the shot of the 4 of them in the Mertz apartment.  She's slightly off her mark and mid-line reading, she moves her feet (without moving her body) to get into the right position.  What a pro!  An eagle-eyed friend spotted this.  I didn't. 

"Well... he's done it AGAIN!"

Underrated? I don't think so. It's certainly one of my all-time favorites, one I watch much more often than most otheros.(*)

Betcha if you did an informal "poll" of fans here on the board that this ep would come up on most folks' top 20 favorites -- it certainly would be in mine!

Off topic a bit but this reminds me last night with "500 channels and nothing on (regular) TV" I popped in my 2nd season blu-ray and watched a disc's worth of eps and while I couldn't have enjoyed them more -- and think I noticed a "blooper" I've never noticed before!! -- it made me rather melancholy to think these fine efforts are stopped (at least for now) with this first "great" ILL season.  Having been spoiled with the incomparable clarity, the ease which you can select single episodes or just hit "play all" to run the entire disc to the WUNDAFUL bonus features favored upon us by Tom, Jonathan, Rick and everyone else involved in its production makes me very sad.

I really wish CB$ hadn't been so short-sighted and found a way to release these initially with much more realistic suggested retail prices (which would subsequently be heavily discounted by Amazon and many other retailers), I truly think we would not have seen these cease production. :blink:

Pity.

(*) It also goes to my long-held "theory" that many of the "best"/funniest ILL eps don't have to be centered around a "big guest star" or physical/slapstick block "pay off" last scene; rather, when our "fearsome foursome" are left to their own devices, as in this prime example, genuine, if not superior comedy gold is made! :lucythrill:

• Like 1