Times you felt proud of your "Lucy" knowledge

Obvious question, I'm sure, but have you ever had moments where your above-average knowledge of Lucy-related history and trivia made you feel especially smart?

I remember once, in 8th grade (2003), we got some sort of student magazine on a semi-regular basis. It included random historical facts all laid out in a kid-friendly manner. One issue included a sidebar about Lucille Ball, although I can't remember the context that brought her up. It had to do with television icons or female entertainment pioneers, I think...something like that. Or it might've been regarding women's history month. Eh, doesn't really matter...

Anyway, the photograph they included was a still from "Lucy and Her Electric Mattress," featuring Lucy walking on the stilts with Viv looking horrified on the top bunk. Coincidentally, this issue was handed out very soon after I finally tracked down the Columbia House "In Trouble With Viv" tape, the last of their "Lucy Show" videos I'd needed to complete the collection. Of course, that tape included this episode.

I remember sitting there rather smugly, thinking (no, knowing) I was the ONLY person in that classroom who knew where that picture came from. As it featured Lucy and Viv, I'm sure everyone else just assumed it was a picture from "I Love Lucy." I didn't bother to enlighten anyone...not that anyone asked. I just recall feeling so chuffed that I was familiar enough with my Lucy history to know otherwise.

• Like 1

In my research over the past 12 years, I find myself correcting people on a regular basis (and THAT's RUDE!; but, never been able to keep my mouth shut; often interrupt when I get a thought; And. THAT's more RUDE!); however, 'those' people who have 'spilled' some SH or other, I have no problem correcting; and in the presence of 'others'.  (now, THAT's RUDE; but, NECESSARY). 

I'm thinking too many read the 'slander sheets' rather than believing the TRUTH about Lucille!  That makes me mad!

I'll be willing to bet, our mild-mannered Jamie; Michael Karol; others even get to that point from time to time, as well; and ALL other Lucille history buffs, authors, researchers, etc.  WHAT about it folks?  ANYONE else?

JK :fabrary:

• Like 1

In my research over the past 12 years, I find myself correcting people on a regular basis (and THAT's RUDE!; but, never been able to keep my mouth shut; often interrupt when I get a thought; And. THAT's more RUDE!); however, 'those' people who have 'spilled' some SH or other, I have no problem correcting; and in the presence of 'others'.  (now, THAT's RUDE; but, NECESSARY). 

I'm thinking too many read the 'slander sheets' rather than believing the TRUTH about Lucille!  That makes me mad!

I'll be willing to bet, our mild-mannered Jamie; Michael Karol; others even get to that point from time to time, as well; and ALL other Lucille history buffs, authors, researchers, etc.  WHAT about it folks?  ANYONE else?

JK :fabrary:

I have no problem with interrupting to correct those who are mistaken. Otherwise, how will they learn.

Obvious question, I'm sure, but have you ever had moments where your above-average knowledge of Lucy-related history and trivia made you feel especially smart?

I remember once, in 8th grade (2003), we got some sort of student magazine on a semi-regular basis. It included random historical facts all laid out in a kid-friendly manner. One issue included a sidebar about Lucille Ball, although I can't remember the context that brought her up. It had to do with television icons or female entertainment pioneers, I think...something like that. Or it might've been regarding women's history month. Eh, doesn't really matter...

Anyway, the photograph they included was a still from "Lucy and Her Electric Mattress," featuring Lucy walking on the stilts with Viv looking horrified on the top bunk. Coincidentally, this issue was handed out very soon after I finally tracked down the Columbia House "In Trouble With Viv" tape, the last of their "Lucy Show" videos I'd needed to complete the collection. Of course, that tape included this episode.

I remember sitting there rather smugly, thinking (no, knowing) I was the ONLY person in that classroom who knew where that picture came from. As it featured Lucy and Viv, I'm sure everyone else just assumed it was a picture from "I Love Lucy." I didn't bother to enlighten anyone...not that anyone asked. I just recall feeling so chuffed that I was familiar enough with my Lucy history to know otherwise.

I Love Lotus and I'm feeling so chuffed! Now that little "refrain" is gonna be in my head all day!! :blink:

• Like 1

I remember 'someone' telling me just prior to the first year of my research into Lucille 'one thing a day'; [and prior to it going on the Museum new WEBSITE!! - just before January, 2006!!!!]] offering it to arrdubya for his perusal; and his comment was something like:  'Darn it; now she knows more about Lucy than I do!!!!"  That has even more meaning for me now, 12 years later.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Here are a few more examples from my school days.

I just recalled a women's history month project we all did in 7th grade (or grade 7, if you prefer). We were divided into groups of four or five and were each assigned a famous woman to do a presentation on, which occurred in front of our entire class in the auditorium. My group had Emily Dickinson (we won, by the way, using a concept I came up with, but I digress). Anyway, I kind of wish I'd been a part of the Lucille Ball group, as I could've set them straight on so many things. Their poster was very amateurish, and they wrote that she died in 1977. The presentation they did consisted of a very half-assed recreation of the Vitametavegamin scene, for which I lent them my prop bottle I got one Christmas, which originally came with candy in it. Tiffany was a nice girl, but her performance as Lucy certainly would've earned a finger-snapping from Miss Ball. Then again, we were all young, and most didn't share my level of enthusiasm, so I shouldn't judge them too harshly.

A few years later, I was in the audience as another class did the same assignment. I can't remember why I was there, only that one of the teachers had asked me to be in attendance. Yet again, Lucille was on the roster. This group was a little better, but not by much. A boy narrated a few snippets of her life, acted out in pantomime by some kids upstage ("We'll be right behind him...on the stage!"). For some reason, this bunch really latched on to Lucy's stint as Diane Belmont, instead of focusing on any of the infinitely more notable moments in her life. For the ending, I kid you not, the narrator stated that she died, and the girl playing Lucy collapsed to the floor with a dramatic flourish. Tacky much? Also, she didn't have red hair, but sported a big red feather boa. You use what you can get, apparently.

As an aside, a minor moment occurred during my AP History class in 11th grade, when we were watching a video on political history - the rise of televised political coverage, or something along those lines. One man interviewed made a comment about I Love Lucy airing on Tuesday nights. I muttered, loud enough for everyone to hear, "it was on Monday nights, but whatever." Everyone chuckled, as me being a fan was no secret.

Your school stories reminded me of this. We had something called an educational field trip which basically let you take off school to go somewhere educational instead of just pretending you were sick. Well you had to get your parent to fill out the form stating why it was educational and then you had to have all your teachers sign it. My mom got good at coming up with bullshit reasons so we could just do a mid-school year vacation. Well the May Lucy festival was coming up and this was to be my first trip there. This would require me to take the Friday off school. So I’m getting my history teacher to sign it. He looks up after reading it and says to me “oh the Communist”. So I launch into the whole story and basically tell him he is wrong, etc…I think he was just trying to get my goat.

I never did do any reports on Lucy in high school or college. I did do something similar to a biographical presentation in fifth grade and was Amelia Earhart. Alas I had not started my Lucy love until 6th grade.

• Like 1

Your school stories reminded me of this. We had something called an educational field trip which basically let you take off school to go somewhere educational instead of just pretending you were sick. Well you had to get your parent to fill out the form stating why it was educational and then you had to have all your teachers sign it. My mom got good at coming up with bullshit reasons so we could just do a mid-school year vacation. Well the May Lucy festival was coming up and this was to be my first trip there. This would require me to take the Friday off school. So I’m getting my history teacher to sign it. He looks up after reading it and says to me “oh the Communist”. So I launch into the whole story and basically tell him he is wrong, etc…I think he was just trying to get my goat.

I never did do any reports on Lucy in high school or college. I did do something similar to a biographical presentation in fifth grade and was Amelia Earhart. Alas I had not started my Lucy love until 6th grade.

He must've been trying to get your goat. For "the communist" to be the first thing someone thinks of when Lucy comes to mind strikes me as very unusual. Love the educational field trip idea, I wish my school had had something like that.

He must've been trying to get your goat. For "the communist" to be the first thing someone thinks of when Lucy comes to mind strikes me as very unusual. Love the educational field trip idea, I wish my school had had something like that.

I thought the same thing! Well...he certainly wasn't a fan. :blink:

Here's one to 'chew' on: 

I've recently (August 2016) moved into a new 55+ 115-apartment complex; folks are wondering why I don't partake in activities (which are practically non-stop if you want to take part) and I had to tell them I'm a prisoner to my computer (then, I tell them about my nearly complete 12-year quest to finish Lucille''s 'diary') . . . SO;

the other night at our monthly tureen dinner, [this month, pizza/wings], the President of the resident council came over and asked me to be  'guest speaker' at an upcoming (February) event she is planning in my honor!!!!  Of course, I agreed!!!!  I'll keep you posted if more than she and I show up!!!!!

WHAT FUN!!!!  :fabrary: 

• Like 1

Here's one to 'chew' on: 

I've recently (August 2016) moved into a new 55+ 115-apartment complex; folks are wondering why I don't partake in activities (which are practically non-stop if you want to take part) and I had to tell them I'm a prisoner to my computer (then, I tell them about my nearly complete 12-year quest to finish Lucille''s 'diary') . . . SO;

the other night at our monthly tureen dinner, [this month, pizza/wings], the President of the resident council came over and asked me to be  'guest speaker' at an upcoming (February) event she is planning in my honor!!!!  Of course, I agreed!!!!  I'll keep you posted if more than she and I show up!!!!!

WHAT FUN!!!!  :fabrary:

That's wonderful! Congratulations! Please do keep us posted.

• Like 1