Co-Star/Associate News and Sightings

Just now, Freddie2 said:

The segment is available on YouTube and it's just lovely. You'd think Barbara was in her mid-60s, not pushing 90! I can't find anywhere that lists where the show is touring:lucy2:

Me neither. If it is touring at all in southern Ontario, I'd be thrilled to make the trek...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brock said:

Especially when we really want her to spill all the Ann Sothern tea.... although our group might be in the minority on this.

I know. She's very diplomatic, and usually never refers to Sothern by name when discussing the incident. Her book is really the only place where she's gone into any detail about it.

• Like 1

Ooh, some Babs and Rosie Harriagan "tea'?? This is new to me! Spill it sister.

Here for those inclined is info on the "Love Letters" tour:  http://barbaraeden.com/appearances.html

Looks like she'll be near LA later this month and if tix still available, I think I'm going to try to go.  I've seen this enjoyable play several times already -- so many notable "couples" have performed it together, but of course for me, my favorite was seeing Busty Ingels and hubby perform it years ago in the Bay Area.  If you've never had the chance to see it but get one, I recommend it. :lucythrill:

10 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

Ooh, some Babs and Rosie Harriagan "tea'?? This is new to me! Spill it sister.

Here for those inclined is info on the "Love Letters" tour:  http://barbaraeden.com/appearances.html

Looks like she'll be near LA later this month and if tix still available, I think I'm going to try to go.  I've seen this enjoyable play several times already -- so many notable "couples" have performed it together, but of course for me, my favorite was seeing Busty Ingels and hubby perform it years ago in the Bay Area.  If you've never had the chance to see it but get one, I recommend it. :lucythrill:

I saw Busty and Marty do Love Letters for a week at the theatre I worked at in high school. That's how I met them.

• Like 1

Joey, in a nutshell, Ann was very rude to Barbara when the latter made a guest appearance on Private Secretary. Forced her hair and makeup to be made less flattering and was overall cold and dismissive. Barbara was shaken by the incident and was initially terrified to do Lucy's show because of it. Of course, Miss Ball's behaviour was the complete opposite. 

Eden talks about the Sothern incident a lot but usually does not refer to her by name. Her book is the only place she's included more detail on the subject. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, this article claims that NC real estate agent David Cook once worked with Lucy. 

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/07/17/st-jude-dream-home-spotlighting-indian-trail/

Now, I don't put all that much stock in an article that refers to "Barbara Eaton" and "Marlow Thomas" but does anyone have any idea where this chap and LB may have crossed paths?

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Brock said:

The documentary Marsha Hunt’s Sweet Adversity has finally popped up on the Tubi app. I’m watching it right now and her recollections are incredible. Well worth the watch! (And a small Lucy cameo too)

I watched this a few weeks ago and thought it was great. I didn’t know of most of Marsha’s impressive post-film stardom accomplishments. 

10 hours ago, Brock said:

The documentary Marsha Hunt’s Sweet Adversity has finally popped up on the Tubi app. I’m watching it right now and her recollections are incredible. Well worth the watch! (And a small Lucy cameo too)

Had to look this up as I never heard of her. Might check that out. Tubi has some pretty good stuff. 

Thanks to Brock’s recommendation I checked out the Martha Hunt documentary. In it the 2 part radio program Hollywood Fights Back from 1947 is mentioned. So that reminded me of something Lucy said in her HUAC testimony in 1953. Below is a link to the radio show and what she said on it. Followed by her HUAC testimony. I’m almost positive that this radio show she is talking about is the Fights Back program but she is confusing what she talked about with something else.

Lucille Ball recites Article 1 from the Bill of Rights:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It’s so important, she repeats it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6HpeyPjYxI

HUAC testimony

How-ever, I do recall I was at a studio, and I was working on a picture,

and I got a call in the afternoon. I don't know who called me. I

assume now — I did then — it was the Screen Actors Guild, but I can

be wrong. I don't know who called me now. It was something that

was through a union or the studio wouldn't have felt compelled to

send me off a set and hold up production until I got back. It had

nothing to do with me.

I got the call to go to a radio station. As I remember, it was

M-G-M — it may not have been. I remember an executive excused me

and sent me to this broadcast.I got down there and said, "What am I supposed to do?"

She said, "Dorothy Petersen" — whoever she is — "she is ill. We have

to go on the air." I haven't seen her in years; I don't know her.

She said, "Will you read this?"

It was a long petition, or whatever you call them, as I recall. As

I recall — I am not sure of this — it was about the Okies upstate California, Fresno or some place, about admitting the Okies. I read it.

They thanked me, and they sent me back to work.

I don't know how long after that that it was that I was called downtown in an FBI office and asked why I did it. Apparently, it was

wrong. It was my first knowledge it was wrong.

I had no answer at all, because I hadn't done it of my own volition.

1 had been sent there. It didn't seem wrong to go some place the studio had sent you.

I tried to explain why I had done it. I had no reason except I had been called.

Mr. Wheeler. How long ago did you go to the FBI?

Miss Ball. I have no idea. I have no idea when I did this broadcast. I have no idea how long after that they called me. But that is

the first time I ever

Mr. Wheeler. It was 3 or 4 years ago?

Miss Ball. It is more than that.

Mr. Wheeler. Did they discuss with you at that time

Miss Ball. Must have been 6, 8, 9 years ago; maybe 10. There were

two broadcasts. I don't know who sent me on the first one, and I

don't know what the second one was about. It was something that

everybody was doing. You just get asked to do these things. I again

was called in at the last minute.

I had nothing to do with whatever it was. I didn't know what

I was doing, but you assumed at the time, when you are called by a

union or one of your — I don't know who called me. I know both times