Irwin Charone died earlier this year

Brock

While looking for something else this morning, I stumbled across the sad -- and, as far as I can tell, unreported -- news that frequent Lucy player Irwin Charone died earlier this year at the age of 93. :(

Irwin H. Charone Character actor with wide experience in TV, stage and films from Disney to Woody Allen, 93 Irwin H. Charone, 93, passed away at his home on Thursday, Jan. 28, 2016. Private funeral services were provided by the Jacob A. Holle Funeral Home, Maplewood, N.J. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Mr. Charone was born in Chicago, Ill., to the late John Charone Esq. and Jeanette Charone Ex. He resided in Manhattan for most of his life before moving to Millburn, N.J. Mr. Charone was a veteran of World War II, serving for three years with the Army Signal Corps. He then prepared for an acting career at the Goodman Theatre School, which is now part of DePaul University, as well as the Art Institute of Chicago and the American Theatre Wing of New York. Mr. Charone was a veteran character actor in film, television, stage and radio. He was a member of the Screen Actors Guild and Actors Equity and appeared in many films for Disney, Warner Bros. and Universal opposite such notable actors as Ingrid Bergman, James Garner and Goldie Hawn. These films included "Herbie Rides Again," "Cactus Flower," "Thrill of it All," "Kisses for My President" and Woody Allen's "Deconstructing Harry." He filled various supporting roles in such prominent network television shows as "Bewitched," "The Lucy Show," "Green Acres," "Get Smart," "Petticoat Junction," "My Favorite Martian," "The Monkees," "The Red Skelton Show," "The Jack Benny Show" and many others. He appeared on Broadway in musicals and dramas, as well as in summer stock and regional theater. Mr. Charone is survived by his wife, Eileen Schauler Charone, and his son, Jeffrey Charone. He was predeceased by his brothers, Sheldon Charone and Jerry Ex. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Disabled American Veterans at www.dav.org.

Just an hour before I read this news, I was watching a YouTube video of "Hello, Dolly" screen tests, in which Irwin played Horace opposite several actresses (Peg Murray, Joanne Worley) testing for the part of Gussie Grainger. (Skip ahead to 3:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpxThsiyHpQ

Does anyone know how close/far Lucy came to playing Dolly?