The "I Love Lucy" Theme versions and announcers

tropicjeff

It doesn't take much to get me excited or disappointed for that matter....but I like the I Love Lucy theme that plays on the syndicated version. I am not fond of the one used on the last season of the dvds which is also heard on the "Superstar" specials.

And why is there an announcer on the Superstar specials? I want to hear that glorious theme song...even if it is the version I don't like as well.

I remember watching "I Love Lucy" reruns on Channel 50 in Detroit in the 1970s...and when the Bob Hope episode played, it was the only one with a booming announcer voice during the OPENING saying "I Love Lucy....starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz...." I wondered how that one got on there in the first place as no other Lucy rerun on Channel 50 had that intro....

Anyone find it odd the way the dvd closing music is sometimes presented with bits and pieces of various versions of the theme....apparently so they could get the announcements of "tonight's cast" in?

Oh, and I just love to hear the syndicated version announcer say "I Love Lucy is a Desilu Production." What authority!

Ok, I'm glad I got that off my chest. Now back to the Freddie Fillmore show on most of these CBS stations.........

• Like 1

It doesn't take much to get me excited or disappointed for that matter....but I like the I Love Lucy theme that plays on the syndicated version. I am not fond of the one used on the last season of the dvds which is also heard on the "Superstar" specials.

And why is there an announcer on the Superstar specials? I want to hear that glorious theme song...even if it is the version I don't like as well.

I remember watching "I Love Lucy" reruns on Channel 50 in Detroit in the 1970s...and when the Bob Hope episode played, it was the only one with a booming announcer voice during the OPENING saying "I Love Lucy....starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz...." I wondered how that one got on there in the first place as no other Lucy rerun on Channel 50 had that intro....

Anyone find it odd the way the dvd closing music is sometimes presented with bits and pieces of various versions of the theme....apparently so they could get the announcements of "tonight's cast" in?

Oh, and I just love to hear the syndicated version announcer say "I Love Lucy is a Desilu Production." What authority!

Ok, I'm glad I got that off my chest. Now back to the Freddie Fillmore show on most of these CBS stations.........

I actually agree with you. I prefer they kept the theme song as they were. Even in the Superstar special as well. "The Freddy Fillmore Show will be back after these important messages from Sanka"

• Like 1

I find the earlier seasons theme songs have a more LATIN flavor. Especially during the closing credits. I like that boom-boom.. boom-boom of some percussion instrument.

I find the "sanitized" season six theme VERY ordinary compared to the SPICY earlier versions. I have always liked when they announced "Lucille Ball... " in the beginning and I LIVE for the phrase " I Love Lucy is a Desilu Production"

I thought I was the only one who cared about this topic... nice to know I have company :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find the earlier seasons theme songs have a more LATIN flavor. Especially during the closing credits. I like that boom-boom.. boom-boom of some percussion instrument.

I find the "sanitized" season six theme VERY ordinary compared to the SPICY earlier versions. I have always liked when they announced "Lucille Ball... " in the beginning and I LIVE for the phrase " I Love Lucy is a Desilu Production"

I thought I was the only one who cared about this topic... nice to know I have company :)

I agree with everything you wrote here.  :)  I especially like the following variation of the closing theme, which has a slightly different arrangement towards the end (repetition of several notes).

It was only used in a few episodes.  What I like is that in your head you're expecting to hear what you normally hear: the final notes of the piece.  But then it suddenly goes off in this other direction for a few seconds before circling back to the normal final notes of the theme. So it sort of takes you by surprise, plus it extends the theme for a few more seconds.  And it has that distinct and crisp-sounding Latin percussion and flavor you were talking about.  I think it's the coolest.  :)

I also like the early version where, for the last few notes, the tempo suddenly speeds up quite a bit.  Do you know what I'm talking about?

My favorite arrangement is probably the closing credits for the original run of The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show, but I'm mad about the closing credits from the original I Love Lucy broadcasts as featured on the Blu-Ray releases -- the drum beats are so present and distinct.