I Love Lucy 2016

What do you think ILL would be like if it were created by today's TV producers? Here are some plot elements and themes I've "updated":

• Ricky would still work in a nightclub, but he would be a DJ who played that stuff that sounds like air raid sirens.
  • Rather than seeking stardom by trying to get cast in movies or performing an act, Lucy would attempt different stunts to get famous on YouTube.
  • The Mertzes would be an older lesbian couple (Frederika and Ethel) who, instead of being vaudeville veterans, were once famous folk singers who travelled the country with the likes of Pete Seeger and Joan Baez. They would also be Trump supporters. No particular reason why, I just think that would be a funny plot point.
  • There would be an episode where Ricky is accused of being an illegal immigrant.
  • In the 50s, the gang lived in Lenox Hill on the Upper East Side. In the 2010s, they would absolutely be living in Brooklyn- probably in the Park Slope neighborhood, where all the other hip young'uns go.
  • Mrs. Trumbull would grow weed on her balcony.
  • In lieu of her stylish house dresses, Lucy would always be in pajamas, yoga pants, or sweatpants. 
  • One element that would remain the same would be the Ricardos listening to vinyl records. This is considered even cooler now than it was then.
  • For fear of being chided by the likes of BuzzFeed, producers would include a rainbow of recurring players that serve no purpose other than to fill a minority quota. The most popular of these characters, a Canadian, Muslim, half-black, half-asian, transgender paraplegic with multiple personality disorder would be given her own spinoff. 
  • Guest stars would change from people like William Holden, Eve Arden, and Orson Welles, to folks with real talent, like PewDiePie, Kylie Jenner, and Kanye West.

Feel free to include your own revisions!

• Like 1

What do you think ILL would be like if it were created by today's TV producers? Here are some plot elements and themes I've "updated":

• Ricky would still work in a nightclub, but he would be a DJ who played that stuff that sounds like air raid sirens.
  • Rather than seeking stardom by trying to get cast in movies or performing an act, Lucy would attempt different stunts to get famous on YouTube.
  • The Mertzes would be an older lesbian couple (Frederika and Ethel) who, instead of being vaudeville veterans, were once famous folk singers who travelled the country with the likes of Pete Seeger and Joan Baez. They would also be Trump supporters. No particular reason why, I just think that would be a funny plot point.
  • There would be an episode where Ricky is accused of being an illegal immigrant.
  • In the 50s, the gang lived in Lenox Hill on the Upper East Side. In the 2010s, they would absolutely be living in Brooklyn- probably in the Park Slope neighborhood, where all the other hip young'uns go.
  • Mrs. Trumbull would grow weed on her balcony.
  • In lieu of her stylish house dresses, Lucy would always be in pajamas, yoga pants, or sweatpants. 
  • One element that would remain the same would be the Ricardos listening to vinyl records. This is considered even cooler now than it was then.
  • For fear of being chided by the likes of BuzzFeed, producers would include a rainbow of recurring players that serve no purpose other than to fill a minority quota. The most popular of these characters, a Canadian, Muslim, half-black, half-asian, transgender paraplegic with multiple personality disorder would be given her own spinoff. 
  • Guest stars would change from people like William Holden, Eve Arden, and Orson Welles, to folks with real talent, like PewDiePie, Kylie Jenner, and Kanye West.
Feel free to include your own revisions!

Oh I laughed hard at the minority quota. I swear the only thing Tumblr cares about with tv shows is that the characters fulfil all their social justice agendas.

• Like 1

•  

I honestly have NO idea who any of these 3 are.  I've at least  heard the name Kanye West but don't know what she does. (he?)  Kylie:  is she (he?)  some relation to Caitlin (she, formerly he)?

PewDiePie is a new one on me.

--Ricky going to Hollywood:  Lucy finds out he's doing a nude scene with a young actress, kidnaps and ties her up and substitutes herself.  OR if you want to get REAL out-there: Ricky has a same-sex love scene and Lucy uses one of her man disguises. (I won't go into what she sets fire to when Ricky lights her cigarette)

--Spying on Ricky and Grace Foster is made easier with the surveillance cameras Fred has installed throughout the building.

--HOPEFULLY there wouldn't be an episode in the future where Lucy wants to take up golf and Ricky says "Ivana doesn't play..."

--Lucy setting up the Ricky Ricardo Website, goofs horribly and the link takes you to Xavier Cugat's homepage. 

--A tired Fred on the prices at the One Oak motel in Ohio: "$70, $140....who cares?"  ---amazingly that's what $8 and $16 is today adjusted for inflation

and in Here's Lucy, Uncle Harry would invariably get water-boarded

• Like 2

--The rent control keeping the Mertz's apartment building rates low lapses, so Fred gives the Ricardos notice that effective the first of the next month, their rent will increase from  $125 a month to $3,250!!

Hey, NYC-ers: what would the rent be on a similar 2 bedroom apartment on East 68th be these days?--complete with access to attic storage?

--The rent control keeping the Mertz's apartment building rates low lapses, so Fred gives the Ricardos notice that effective the first of the next month, their rent will increase from  $125 a month to $3,250!!

Hey, NYC-ers: what would the rent be on a similar 2 bedroom apartment on East 68th be these days?--complete with access to attic storage?

What a FUN QUESTION; bet we get some great replies.  Thanks for asking it...intriguing. :D

The Ricardo rent, as revealed in the Mr. Beecher episode, was at the time $125/mo.(if my memory is correct)

Adjusted for inflation, this would be $1,130---which, I'm assuming, would not get you much in NYC today.

Speaking of inflation adjusted rents: 

Ricardos charged the Williams for the Connecticut house:  $1,668

Ricardos charged the Mertz's for the guest house: $625

Fred (no schnook, he)  wanted to up the rent on the guest house to the Williams to: $1,251

All are still great deals!

Was it ever revealed on "The Lucy Show" what Viv paid Lucy for, as she put it, "that crummy little room"?

• Like 1