65 years on...

Good on her and all, but jeez...why must everything be viewed through the lens of gender politics these days? Can't funny just be funny?

Good on her and all, but jeez...why must everything be viewed through the lens of gender politics these days? Can't funny just be funny?

Given Drumpf's latest inadvertent but oh-so-telling audio "revelation", how can we not? The world is no longer a funny 50s black & white sitcom my friend.... sadly. :blink:

Given Drumpf's latest inadvertent but oh-so-telling audio "revelation", how can we not? The world is no longer a funny 50s black & white sitcom my friend.... sadly. :blink:

True enough, sadly. I do admire the astuteness of her observations and how she's viewing the show in an empowering way. However, I also feel that in this day and age, with all the negativity flowing about, that it is important to watch something designed to entertain solely for entertainment purposes. Shut out the ridiculousness of the world and just have a good laugh.

Yes, if it makes you think about things and how society has progressed (or regressed) that's all well and good, but don't set out to deliberately try and find some 21st century meaning in everything. I guess I fear that happens far too often nowadays. Good old-fashioned escapism never hurt anyone. I think Lucy would agree with me, as one of her arguments when promoting "Mame" was that it was pure entertainment in an era when "intellectual" films were asking audiences to stretch every bone to the nth degree.

Props to this girl for enjoying it while finding it empowering, but let's not go attempting to analyze everything along the same wavelength. I don't want to stumble upon an article discussing the post-binary genderqueer politics and transracial feminist subtext of Gilligan's Island, for example.

• Like 1

True enough, sadly. I do admire the astuteness of her observations and how she's viewing the show in an empowering way. However, I also feel that in this day and age, with all the negativity flowing about, that it is important to watch something designed to entertain solely for entertainment purposes. Shut out the ridiculousness of the world and just have a good laugh.

Yes, if it makes you think about things and how society has progressed (or regressed) that's all well and good, but don't set out to deliberately try and find some 21st century meaning in everything. I guess I fear that happens far too often nowadays. Good old-fashioned escapism never hurt anyone. I think Lucy would agree with me, as one of her arguments when promoting "Mame" was that it was pure entertainment in an era when "intellectual" films were asking audiences to stretch every bone to the nth degree.

Props to this girl for enjoying it while finding it empowering, but let's not go attempting to analyze everything along the same wavelength. I don't want to stumble upon an article discussing the post-binary genderqueer politics and transracial feminist subtext of Gilligan's Island, for example.

Goes without saying! :blink:

Maybe just me but I'm just kinda tickled that a youngun high school student even knows who Lucy is, let alone admires her! :HALKING:

• Like 1