Feud (2017) First look at Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford

Shane91

Just going to leave this here while I attempt to unroll my eyes.

http://marrymejasonsegel.tumblr.com/post/158401364392/a-note-on-feud

I was actually surprised Maidie Norman wasn't depicted, but more along the lines of her being a Joan ally on set since they played opposite each other in Torch Song, Norman playing her sophisticated assistant.

I'm putting this here instead of "Grooviest youtube" as a tribute to Joan. NO ONE can tell me she's not a great actress.

Joan doing a dramatic reading of a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay:  is there anyone MORE appropriate to do the introduction than Lamb Chop?  I think not.

• Like 2

I was actually surprised Maidie Norman wasn't depicted, but more along the lines of her being a Joan ally on set since they played opposite each other in Torch Song, Norman playing her sophisticated assistant.

Oh I agree she could've been depicted, even if just briefly. I just find that particular author's reasoning and expectations to be silly. She didn't grasp what the point of series was at all. She seemed to take issue with Buono being depicted and not Norman, even though Buono became a friend of Davis and returned in Charlotte, thus completely justifying his presence.

Obviously the focus had to remain on Bette and Joan; there wasn't room for the entire supporting cast to be shown. The neighbor's mother wasn't seen either. Also, I don't see us Lucy fans complaining about Ralph Hart and Lucille Ball being left out, even though theoretically they COULD'VE been portrayed :)

I was away so I just watched the last "Feud" and was previously wondering where the quote "I'd rather spit blood in the sink than look like Martha Raye" came from (and why those were someone's 2 alternatives).

Again, the recreations!  That split-second shot from "The Decorator" where Bette/Liz comes in with sunglasses and that bat-winged caftan:  it's spot-on.

I'm sure "The Decorator" pilot is up on youtube.  I cannot understand why this one wasn't picked up.  It's actually funny and for 1965, that's saying something.  Plus the other cast regular was Mary Wickes.  I think there were reasons other than the quality of the show for it not becoming a series. 

Or for that matter, all the other Bette Davis pilots the networks turned down.  Until "Hotel" but then she got sick and had to bow out. 

• Like 1

Did Bette do pilots other than The Decorator and Hotel? Do tell!

Prior to Baby Jane, she and Gary Merrill did a pilot called The Starmaker and Bette did a backdoor pilot on Wagon Train. In the '60s and '70s, she also did Madam Sin with Robert Wagner, the sitcom Hello, Mother, Goodbye!, and The Judge and Jake Wyler (depicted on Feud). I'm not sure what the others were.

• Like 1

Prior to Baby Jane, she and Gary Merrill did a pilot called The Starmaker and Bette did a backdoor pilot on Wagon Train. In the '60s and '70s, she also did Madam Sin with Robert Wagner, the sitcom Hello, Mother, Goodbye!, and The Judge and Jake Wyler (depicted on Feud). I'm not sure what the others were.

I seem to very vaguely recall reading about (maybe even SEEING? Probably not) Hello, Mother, Goodbye! And I didn't know M. Sin was a pilot.

I think it was Will McKinley who said it's ironic how revered these old Hollywood stars are nowadays, when in the 70s all they could get were crummy movies of the week and guest spots on Love Boat.

• Like 1

I would love if a station like GET would broadcast a good copy of Joan Crawford on The Tim Conway Show. In the grainy copy that was on YouTube once upon a time, she actually had some comedy chops. lol

This would be his variety show, I take it? I can't remember much about it... was it on ABC?

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this has been shared on here yet (this is a dense, dense thread), but it's certainly worth a watch.

Dame OdeH is high af on morphine or whatever they gave pregnant women back then. Miss Davis is… Life? God? a Nurse? a Wicked Stepmother? Hard to tell.

Milton Geiger, who wrote this little pip, was also the writer of Joan's batshit Hollywood Palace monologue about little children. If you couldn't have guessed.

PLUS: Stay for the bit at the end. It's pure Lucy and Viv.