Feud (2017) First look at Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford

Shane91

Jessica's cosmetic eye surgery prevents her from fully replicating Crawford's doe-eyed looked but Sarandon at 70 looks younger than Davis at 54.  She's got some of Bette's looks and her voice down pat. 

Bette's part in "Baby Jane" is showier but I don't think Joan's is any less compelling.  1962 was a good year for actresses so the field was pretty competitive but a shame that Joan wasn't nominated too. 

Bette makes a good point that it's much easier when you've played the part straight through in a play as winner Anne Bancroft did in "Miracle Worker" than it is when you have to create the character from scratch as Bette and Joan did, though it would be impossible to write that into the Oscar rules.   I've always been amazed how actors can sustain an emotion when back-to-back scenes are sometimes shot months apart---and in 1962 with no videotape to watch your previous performance. 

There's only one scene where Bette/Jane's continuity goes awry.   Blanche's line"You wouldn't be able to do these things for me f I wasn't in this chair." is shot with Bette looking out the window and before she says he next line, she gets a bemused smirk on her face.  Cut to the shot of Bette/Jane turning around to face Blanche "BUTCHA AH in that chair" without a trace of the smirk she just had on her face.  

What is never answered about "Jane":  why is wheel-chair bound Blanche relegated to an UPSTAIRS room?

Is Baby Jane truly a HORROR picture?   I don't think so. 

• Like 1

Interesting that rivals Hedda and Louella were still at it in 1962.  Louella was 81 and Hedda in her late 70s but both had little time left.  I think Hedda wrote up until her illness that led to her 1966 death.  Louella suffered from early signs of dementia and handed her column over to Dorothy Manners in 1965 who had been reportedly writing it for a year anyway.  Louella hung on until 1972, dying at 91. 

• Like 1

As a subscriber, I just received latest/new WUNDAFUL issue of Out magazine, "a gay and lesbian perspective on style, entertainment, fashion, the arts, politics, culture and the world at large", for those (which would be most) of you unfamiliar..... sort of our gay Newsweek or Time magazine, as it were.   :lucyhmm:

The cover features a very Hurrell-stylized black & white photograph of the stunningly beautiful Miss Jessica Lange, accompanied inside with more like photographs and an interview conducted by her friend and colleague, Ryan Murphy, who as writer/producer, has basically been largely responsible in Lange's recent career resurgence via his American Horror Story series and now, Feud

For those not inclined to look for this publication "wherever magazines are sold" (e.g. Barnes & Noble and other booksellers--those still in existence, that is!) I'm sure it'll be available soon as usual either on their online website and/or Facebook page (I'll look occasionally for links and post them here when available), it's definitely worth a look.  :peachonthebeach:

See next post!!

The movie version should be an appropriate vehicle for a Faye Dunaway comeback.

For reasons I don't understand, Faye's no-holds-barred performance in "Mommie Dearest" was a career killer, but now...no career to kill. 

Double posthumous whammy /revenge because Bette HATED Faye Dunaway.

Wonder if BD and Christina ever got together.

I wonder what arch-rival Hedda wrote in her column about the incident.

"She also claims to have witnessed her mother’s ‘demonic cackling,’ watching her ‘transform into a Satanic figure, [with] a Satanic face, long claws on the end of her hands,’ scraping at the glass of a terrace door during a 1982 trip to her Davis, California home."

Something bad obviously did happen in this woman's life -- maybe or maybe not by her mother -- because she's now clearly a delusional nutjob.  What a kook.

• Like 1

Something bad obviously did happen in this woman's life -- maybe or maybe not by her mother -- because she's now clearly a delusional nutjob.  What a kook.

By all accounts, including B.D.'s, Bette worshiped the very ground her daughter walked on. In her book, she presents this as the worst thing ever. Weird.

• Like 1

I must say, I could never really understand what B.D. was bitching about.  Compared to my childhood she had a wonderful one!

Agreed -- her bitching about nothing was half the fun. And yes, it made me an even bigger Bette fan.

It was telling when Michael Merrill's wife, Chou, died a few years ago, all the surviving relatives were listed, including Margot -- but no sign of a Hyman in the obituaries.

• Like 1

Agreed -- her bitching about nothing was half the fun. And yes, it made me an even bigger Bette fan.

It was telling when Michael Merrill's wife, Chou, died a few years ago, all the surviving relatives were listed, including Margot -- but no sign of a Hyman in the obituaries.

The woman clearly has issues. I wonder if she'll comment on the series at some point.

I know Shirley MacLaine's daughter did the tell-all book routine a few years ago, though I can't comment as to the validity of it as I haven't really looked into it.

There should be a sitcom starring Hyman, Crawford and Shirley's daughter (plus anyone else who may have written a book) called The Scolded Girls, where they sit around eating cheesecake, figuring out how every problem of theirs can be blamed on their mothers (and turned into revenue).

• Like 1