Feud (2017) First look at Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford

Shane91

Every summer my town does a "Lawn Chair Film Festival", where they screen a movie on the side of one of the buildings downtown every Sunday. They did Baby Jane last night. I hadn't seen it in probably three years. Good stuff! Ironically, on the car ride over, the radio played Bette Davis Eyes! Before the movie, they played Bette's full recording of that Twist-style song she did on Andy Williams. They also had a raffle where they gave away a t-shirt and a DVD copy of the movie. Guess who won? (Hint: it wasn't BD!)

• Like 2

Every summer my town does a "Lawn Chair Film Festival", where they screen a movie on the side of one of the buildings downtown every Sunday. They did Baby Jane last night. I hadn't seen it in probably three years. Good stuff! Ironically, on the car ride over, the radio played Bette Davis Eyes! Before the movie, they played Bette's full recording of that Twist-style song she did on Andy Williams. They also had a raffle where they gave away a t-shirt and a DVD copy of the movie. Guess who won? (Hint: it wasn't BD!)

They didn't give away a genuine life-sized Baby Jane doll handed out by Ralph "All for you!" Hart?

• Like 1

They didn't give away a genuine life-sized Baby Jane doll handed out by Ralph "All for you!" Hart?

It was a free screening, Brock. The budget was tight. I think it was either give away a doll or rent a port-a-potty.

I should add something I forgot about earlier: In the above mentioned scene with Baby Jane at her career apex, all I could think about was Sue Ann Nivens winning that Shirley Temple lookalike contest. When you think about it, the two characters aren't all that different.

• Like 1

Congrats! :lucywow::lucythrill:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I understand what Fox is saying. Dame O is certainly not the first living celebrity to see herself depicted on film or TV. Martha Stewart made no secret of hating those TV movies where Cybill Shepherd played her, and the first of those went out of its way to paint Stewart in an unflattering light. Yet there were no lawsuits there.

Feud's intention was the exact opposite of cheap exploitation. The big sticking point seems to be their not reaching out to her, which I agree was a big mistake. I hope they find a way to settle this to the satisfaction of everyone, tricky though that will likely be.

Why wouldn't Murphy want this to go to court? It'll give him fodder for a follow up to his OJ miniseries.

How meta would that be? Murphy producing an Crime Story season about his legal battle against Dame O. Then he can do a Feud installment about the making of the Crime Story season. A constant mind-bending loop.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If, say, Johnny Depp was in the same situation as Dame D, I probably wouldn't bat an eye before siding with whoever was portraying him "negatively". This is a very subjective situation. Normally I'd be behind the free speech side, but over the past year or so, my distaste for Ryan Murphy has grown in proportion to my admiration for Olivia- even before she filed a complaint. If there's one person who deserves to only be portrayed with dignity, it's her!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Lawyers for Ms. de Havilland and FX are also engaged in a byzantine fact-check over Ms. de Havilland’s use of coarse language in other scenes, most notably in reference to her sister, Ms. Fontaine." That line made me laugh out loud.

If Dame O wants to be remembered as somebody who never said "Christ, son of a bitch", then that's how I'll remember her. Fred Astaire has a tight grip on his post-mortem image, so I see no problem with someone who's still here to speak up about how she's being portrayed. Her comment about why she retired from acting is a killer.

Now that I think about it, BD probably got a more positive portrayal than Olivia de Havilland. BD frigging Hyman.

• 3 weeks later...