Feud (2017) First look at Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford

Shane91

Gosh, I love those old variety show numbers. Throw a couple of people on some stools, get that medley rolling, and you've got me hooked. It's very ambitious of Bette to do this sort of thing. I wish her Rockin' Baby Jane song were available on Spotify or something. I'd totally play it at parties. Her singing Michael, Row The Boat Ashore reminds me of her singing in Jezebel (Raise a Rookus Tonight).

Sorta "Feud" related.....I watched bits and pieces of Bette's "Baby Jane" follow up done for Warners: "Dead Ringer".  At least Bette got to play an attractive socially prominent women one more time before "Charlotte" and the like.  But it's just the MOST PREPOSTEROUS premise.  For those who don't know:  Twin sisters haven't seen each other since one snatched the rich fiance away from the other.  Margaret lives in splendor.  Edith lives above a dive bar she owns, until the death of the husband/former boyfriend, when Edith kills Margaret, fakes her own suicide and starts living as Margaret.  Soft-focused, Gene Hibbs'd Bette looks pretty good except for that horrible hairstyle.   Nobody in the household (except the dog) seems to notice; and Bette/Edith knows where most everything/everybody is. 

• Like 1

Sorta "Feud" related.....I watched bits and pieces of Bette's "Baby Jane" follow up done for Warners: "Dead Ringer".  At least Bette got to play an attractive socially prominent women one more time before "Charlotte" and the like.  But it's just the MOST PREPOSTEROUS premise.  For those who don't know:  Twin sisters haven't seen each other since one snatched the rich fiance away from the other.  Margaret lives in splendor.  Edith lives above a dive bar she owns, until the death of the husband/former boyfriend, when Edith kills Margaret, fakes her own suicide and starts living as Margaret.  Soft-focused, Gene Hibbs'd Bette looks pretty good except for that horrible hairstyle.   Nobody in the household (except the dog) seems to notice; and Bette/Edith knows where most everything/everybody is.

That sounds like it could be a real guilty pleasure!

I didn't have occasion to watch episode 5 until tonight. O...M...G...words fail me. What amazed me most was the tension the episode succeeded at building up. We obviously knew the outcome of the Oscars, but the whole episode was about the journey, not the destination. My heart was positively pounding by the time the nominees were read.

Lang was a knockout in Joan's Oscar attire. She really excelled at accentuating Joan's Ice Queen persona in this one. I did pick up on a noticeable creative liberty taken with the acceptance speech recreation: Feud's Joan entered from stage right to accept the award, when in reality she entered from stage left.

I was also pretty impressed with the celebrity lookalikes peppered throughout. Eva Marie Saint and Gregory Peck were really on the nose. The girl who played Bancroft was good acting-wise, but didn't really capture Anne in the looks department to my eye (not that being a mirror image really matters in these situations). I was also more taken with CZJ as Olivia this time. I don't know if it was because she had more screentime or has simply grown into the role, but I found her more convincing than in previous outings.

I don't know if it was because she had more screentime or has simply grown into the role, but I found her more convincing than in previous outings.

I think it was because she was actually integrated into the plot rather than simply serving as a talking head. I enjoyed CZJ this time around as well.

• Like 1

Feud - 'Season 1: Bette and Joan' is In-the-Works for Home Video!

No availability date yet, but Amazon has an early listing for the DVDs

• FEUD: Bette and Joan, the first installment of the new FX anthology series from Ryan Murphy, tells the story of the legendary rivalry between Joan Crawford (Jessica Lange) and Bette Davis (Susan Sarandon) during their collaboration on the Academy Award-nominated thriller What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, and well after the cameras stopped rolling. The series explores how the two women endured ageism, sexism, and misogyny while struggling to hang on to success and fame in the twilight of their careers.

In addition to Academy Award winners Lange and Sarandon, the cast includes Alfred Molina as the film's director Robert Aldrich, Stanley Tucci as studio titan Jack Warner, Judy Davis as gossip columnist Hedda Hopper, Jackie Hoffman as Crawford's housekeeper Mamacita, and Alison Wright as Aldrich's assistant Pauline. Notable guest stars include Dominic Burgess as Crawford and Davis' co-star Victor Buono, Catherine Zeta-Jones as film star Olivia de Havilland, Sarah Paulson as Geraldine Page, Kathy Bates as Joan Blondell and Kiernan Shipka as B.D., Bette Davis' daughter.

With the ten-episode second season, "Charles and Diana," having already received the green light for airing in 2018, the studio is getting ready for a home video release of the well-received 8-episode first season. It's been airing on the FX cable channel, and is expected to broadcast the season finale before the end of this month.

Now Amazon has ALREADY begun taking pre-orders for a release of Feud - Season 1: Bette and Joan on DVD. This listing is prior to Fox Home Entertainment's official announcement for the item, though, so instead of a street date Amazon merely says "This title has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives."

Pricing is available, though, currently showing $39.98 SRP (you can, of course, lock in your copy right away, if you order it using the link above). There are no other details available so far at Amazon's entry, either, but there is some early box art for the title (see below; it may not be finalized yet and could be subject to change). Currently this title has been listed for DVD only; no Blu-ray version's entry has been found yet. We'll update you further on this item, of course, just as soon as we find out anything more!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Feud-Season-1/23180

• Like 1

Oh I'm loving these match ups. Shows how much work went into this.

Right? Curious what kinda budget Murphy had to work with, it seems no expense was spared!  Being a "geek" ever curious about these things, though doubtful, does anyone know off-hand (Jimmy you probably do) whether they filmed this on the same (studio) soundstage(s) as the original?? That would be cool!

If anyone knows, please chime in....

Hmmmm...I just had a Claude "flash" ....wonder if he's watching this and what he thinks of it....not that he ever had an opinion or anything!! :blink:

Right? Curious what kinda budget Murphy had to work with, it seems no expense was spared! Being a "geek" ever curious about these things, though doubtful, does anyone know off-hand (Jimmy you probably do) whether they filmed this on the same (studio) soundstage(s) as the original?? That would be cool!

Ryan Murphy was insistent that they film the Oscar scenes at the original location, the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, and they did. It's completely different from how it was in 1963 and a lot of hard work went into recreating it's period look. It's a bit strange to me that they went to all the trouble of getting the toothpicks at Joan's Oscar party exactly right (I'm not making that up), but both times they've shown the exterior of Broadway theater on the show it is so obviously California. I don't want to nitpick, though.

• Like 2

Ryan Murphy was insistent that they film the Oscar scenes at the original location, the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, and they did. It's completely different from how it was in 1963 and a lot of hard work went into recreating it's period look. It's a bit strange to me that they went to all the trouble of getting the toothpicks at Joan's Oscar party exactly right (I'm not making that up), but both times they've shown the exterior of Broadway theater on the show it is so obviously California. I don't want to nitpick, though.

Wherever they filmed it, particularly the exteriors they did a great job of replicating "old Hollywood" :D

If this thing doesn't garner multiple Emmy nominations -- especially for Art Direction and/or Set Design -- I'll be most surprised.

Thanks Jimmy I knew you'd know! :peachonthebeach:

Thanks! Can't wait to check it out. :lucythrill:

Joanie is the 17th most popular celebrity in the world on IMDB this week in a sea of starlets, with Bette close behind in position 24. Bob Aldrich has also cracked the top 100, such is the power of Feud:

http://m.imdb.com/chart/starmeter?ref_=m_nv_ch_cel

Cool, good and I get it: I know I now want to see more of all their work, including some of the "lesser" later stuff.  

Wonder where this is gonna end, "era" wise?? It's soooo good hate to see it end!! :blink:

We recently got a copy of The Divine Feud. I've read sections so far, primarily in advance of what's coming up on the show.

Just a little while ago, I stumbled on the section describing Joan's guest appearance on The Lucy Show. For an otherwise well-researched book, I frowned when the author's plot summary read Ethel instead of Viv. Such a shame that wasn't corrected for this new publication. I mean, what an obvious mistake.

Aside from that, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Pretty good Joseph Cotton lookalike.  I wish they'd have a little scene with Lucy.  I think (not sure) that hers was one of the name bandied about for the Joan replacement. 

Olivia was great in "Charlotte".  Talk about "OH you and your sickening sweetness!".  I prefer "Jane" but also think "Charlotte" is awfully good, except for a few red herring SPOILERS....(which I'll put at end)

Just for "ol' time's sake", I do wish Joan had done it.  Too bad the few scenes she shot don't exist. 

Could have started a series of films like Abbott and Costello. ("Bette and Joan Meet the Mummy (Estelle Winwood)") and had Joan lived: "Wicked StepmotherS".  Another interesting what-if: Combining the books by the two daughters into one movie "Mommies Dearests"

This year's Emmys:  isn't Sarandon a shoe-in?  Wouldn't this be great:  Jessica not nominated but picks up the statue for the winner.

What sort of statement was Joan trying to make by spray-painting grey in her hair for the Oscars?

I have this great little paperback book "Encyclopedia of Move Awards".  Lists the nominees for each year for the Oscars, but also includes the winners in just about every other award-giving entity: Golden Globes, New York Critics, and for pure unvarnished snarkiness The Harvard Lampoon Movie Awards and later The Golden Raspberries.  After listing all the awards, there's chart of the top money makers and interesting grosses outside the top 10.  (This books put YMO at #10 with $10million as opposed to wikipedia's $26million!)  This is followed by the author's own opinion of who should have gotten the major awards.  Sometimes he keeps pretty close to the actual winners but my favorite off-center picks of his are 

1963 Best Actress:  Ethel Merman in Mad Mad World!

1964 Best Actress: Joan Crawford in Straight Jacket.

While I love Merman in Mad World. She walks off with the movie, no small accomplishment given the amount of ham on the screen.  Maybe Best Supporting would have been more appropriate (and possibly winnable!).  If Channing could get nominated for "Millie", then a nomination for Ethel is not that far-fetched.

But I heartily agree with a nomination for Joan.  Problem is "Jacket" is such a tawdry movie.  And cheap.  Showing Columbia's statue of Liberty logo headless at the end is SO beneath Joan.   However no one can fault Joan's performance. Probably one of her best.  She doesn't let her dignity get in the way of making of fool of herself (her character) vamping her daughter's boyfriend in a ridiculous wig that rivals Bette's in Dead Ringer.  And speaking of Dead Ringer co-star Peter Lawford and the idea of him as Edwin.  SOO glad that didn't happen.  To quote Milton Krims on "Mame", "I searched my thesaurus for superlatives and threw them away as all puny.  I can only say Victor is Edwin, Edwin is Victor and I might add Margorie Bennett is Deliah/Deliah is Margorie Bennett (probably mangling that quote from memory) and on the other end of the spectrum "BD is a crummy actress/A crummy actress is BD"

CHARLOTTE SPOILER red herrings 

Olivia: "My dress!  Someone has torn my dress"

And the dumping of Joseph Cotton's body into a water-filled culvert where he has to hold his breath and act dead until they leave.  How would he know when it's safe to get up?

A glimpse at the upcoming making of Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte

jessica-lange-susan-sarandon-feud-variet

I have always thought The Merm should gotten a Best Supporting Actress nod for Mad World.

I prefer Charlotte to Jane. It's still a very tragic story, but it's handled more playfully. To see Miss Olivia in a truly villainous role is a delight. Cousin Miriam is a long way from Cousin Melanie! Agnes Moorehead as Velma is one of the most incredible wonders ever put to film. The film's title song is absolutely beautiful. Maybe Feud's success will finally warrant a Blu Ray release for Charlotte- the Southern Gothic cinematography is just begging for it!

• Like 1