The Desi Photo Thread

Brock

Funny, from this shot she looks enchanted, thrilled to be in his arms. But from the first one, i always interpreted it as him hugging her and her being totally immobile not hugging back, seemingly uninterested, but now we know, from the other shot, that that was certainly not the case. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THAT!

What do you mean "that was not the case"? It certainly looks very one-sided from where I'm sitting. Can you elaborate? xx

• 3 weeks later...

I may never stop seeing this one in my 'mind's eye'!!! Since she was not holding on to him, it had to be the end of things; and she had stopped.... enough said. Weeping as we sit here...

The other angle of this photo, however, shows Lucy's face and on it is a look of contentment and love. So I dunno...it's poignant and bittersweet though.

The other angle of this photo, however, shows Lucy's face and on it is a look of contentment and love. So I dunno...it's poignant and bittersweet though.

I see it now; had NOT at the time I posted; but, am seeing the explanations; I'm not sure I've changed my mind, even knowing WHEN it was taken.... She still loved him; she had just stopped everything else....

Does anyone know, or has it been written about, the age Desi went gray???? Thanks if you do.

Have no idea as that fact was hidden from us at the time but it happened during the run of I Love Lucy that it was later disclosed that he washed out the dye in his hair after the taping of each show on I Love Lucy.

Are these from your collection of photos?

Yes all photos I post now are clippings or pics I actually own copies of. I put my "watermark" on a couple to cover an awkward corner on it like a small chunk of an irrelated photo, cover a caption from another (non Lucy related) photo on the page, etc. As you know photos on magazine pages, particularly gossip sections, are rarely even, ie 3x3 or 4x6, it's usually a page of various photos fit on to it like jigsaw pieces.

The Bonnie and Desi is a gossip column picture from a 1977 issue of PREVIEW a movie mag published by Rona Barrett's publishers, same issue has the Desi Jr/Lucie clips in an pictorial article on star's kids who are now stars. Like you mentioned before about TV Radio Mirror always having something Lucy related, it appears for 30 years there was rarely a monthly movie magazine without at least a small picture of Lucy in it. It's amazing how much press she got in the late 1970's and early 1980's when she wasn't working much anymore, yet she was still a cover girl for the Rona Barrett magazines every few months and other movie mags too.

Yes all photos I post now are clippings or pics I actually own copies of. I put my "watermark" on a couple to cover an awkward corner on it like a small chunk of an irrelated photo, cover a caption from another (non Lucy related) photo on the page, etc. As you know photos on magazine pages, particularly gossip sections, are rarely even, ie 3x3 or 4x6, it's usually a page of various photos fit on to it like jigsaw pieces.

The Bonnie and Desi is a gossip column picture from a 1977 issue of PREVIEW a movie mag published by Rona Barrett's publishers, same issue has the Desi Jr/Lucie clips in an pictorial article on star's kids who are now stars. Like you mentioned before about TV Radio Mirror always having something Lucy related, it appears for 30 years there was rarely a monthly movie magazine without at least a small picture of Lucy in it. It's amazing how much press she got in the late 1970's and early 1980's when she wasn't working much anymore, yet she was still a cover girl for the Rona Barrett magazines every few months and other movie mags too.

I think that was because Rona was a friend of hers. I maintain that Lucy was friendly with these gossip magazine people so she could get the gossip first hand in Hollywood, LOL! I used to go to the newstand every day back then and scour the mags for Lucy mentions and you're right, one day in the sixties, i found her picture with the same grey suit with Berle, Sinatra and many others in six magazines.

Or she was friends with them to prevent bad stuff being said about her?

True, could be that too, but being a Leo herself, she loved knowing everything that was going on with everybody. Look at how many she knew, Hedda Hopper told her about the affair Raymond Burr was having with her son Dennis on Perry Mason, so Lucy decided not to make the moves on him while making Magic Carpet, LOL!