Brock

The Desi Photo Thread

Desi looks so different here, with Stack whom he hired for The Untouchables when Van Johnson's wife wanted his salary doubled and Fred Astaire of course.

You know what, when I first looked at the pic, I thought, is that Cary Grant?  Well, at least I didn't THIN it was Tallulah.  I gotta get me some new glasses.

I think by the early 60s he was taming down the amount of hair and I think it suited him as he got older.

In this respect he was lucky. There sure aren't many men on this side of the hair dilemma at the age.

I stopped dying mine as I was only doing it to get another job, now that I know that won't be happening, I've gone white/grey.  Now, whatever's left of it, I want to keep.  But I have considered converting to Judaism to be able to wear a yarmulke and hide the major bald spot.

Nothing wrong with grey, you'll look distinguished! It's odd for Desi as well, most men start losing their hair before they lose the colour. Yet never a bald spot on him. Does anyone know if Gary dyed?

Found this interesting.  Didn't know men yearned for the days of gray hair.  

Lucy says that Desi’s speckling of gray hair at temples makes him look like a man of distinction, but he yearns for the day when it will be all gray instead of a pepper-and-salt mixture.  So far the kids haven’t expressed an opinion.

hairbw.jpg

I also would have pegged this pic from the 40s given Lucy's look but it says kids so post 53'.

I think he looked fine with the salt and pepper hair and he did eventually go all gray.

It sure was a shock to see him like that when he hosted SNL.  And also reading that his hair was dyed for every I Love Lucy episode, and that he washed it out after taping every show.

I also would have pegged this pic from the 40s given Lucy's look but it says kids so post 53'.

Definitely a 40s look from the neck up, but isn't she also wearing the Vitameatavegamin suit?

Re your gorgeous Lucy/Queen avatar, I think she and Lucy also had the same taste in chairs, those beautiful ones there look like they'd fit in beautifully on Roxbury too.