LucyFest 2017

Brock

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Question of the Day:  "Do you plan on attending any of the comedy events scheduled this week?" 

The Post-Journal, "Anyone who knows comedy knows that Jim Gaffigan is one of the biggest and most respected voices in comedy today." Ready For The Stage, Week of Laughs and Lectures Kicks Off Today, by Gavin Paterniti, "After nearly a year's worth of planning, the NCC prepares to do what it does best: make an entire community laugh. Headliners for 26th annual Lucille Ball Comedy Festival are:  Gaffigan, Kevin James, Lisa Lampanelli and Robert Klein;" [ :fabrary: ​/JK: 'article shortened:' go to www.lucycomedyfest.com for complete lineup of events]; published, 2017.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Question of the Day:  "Do you plan on attending any of the comedy events scheduled this week?" 

The Post-Journal, "Anyone who knows comedy knows that Jim Gaffigan is one of the biggest and most respected voices in comedy today." Ready For The Stage, Week of Laughs and Lectures Kicks Off Today, by Gavin Paterniti, "After nearly a year's worth of planning, the NCC prepares to do what it does best: make an entire community laugh. Headliners for 26th annual Lucille Ball Comedy Festival are:  Gaffigan, Kevin James, Lisa Lampanelli and Robert Klein;" [ :fabrary: ​/JK: 'article shortened:' go to www.lucycomedyfest.com for complete lineup of events]; published, 2017.

Pretty impressive line-up! Wishing I were able to go back again.  Well...maybe someday. :lucyhmm:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Question of the Day: ". . .. attending any of the comedy events scheduled this week?"  YES:  18%  NO: 82%

The Post-Journal, Black Came Back, Noted Comic Kicks Off Chautauqua Institution's Comedy-Themed Week, by Gavin Paterniti, Chautauqua, "Black's discussion centered around what comedy is and a comedian's role in society. 'Comedy is easy, but writing a speech about comedy is exhausting.' Black kicked off week-long series, 'Comedy and Human Condition,' underwritten partnership between Institution and NCC. Black mentioned inspirational mentors:  Carlin, Pryor and Lenny Bruce. 'Laughter allows us to boldly stare into the abyss while straddling the grave.'" [ :fabrary: ​/JK: 'article shortened:] published, 2017.

The Post-Journal, Region, Funny Talk, Steinberg, Carlin Talk Comedy at Chautauqua Institution, by Katrina Fuller, Chautauqua, "David Steinberg and Kelly Carlin, Sirius XM radio host, chatted about David's time as a theologian, stand up and more at Chautauqua Institution Tuesday morning, during week-long series, 'Comedy and Human Condition,' portion of partnership between Institution and NCC;'" [ :fabrary: ​/JK: 'article shortened:] published, 2017.

Wondering if any of you EARLY BIRDS have travelled to Chautauqua Institution for the first two lectures in series, 'Comedy, etc.'?

If so, I and the chronology would be VERY INTERESTED in comments from attendees......   Size audiences, and all else, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to do so.

:fabrary: 

Jamestown airport. We'll be arriving Thursday morning and our rental car will pick us up. We're staying at the Best Western. We leave on the 7th.

TX, woman;  plans, in case we miss each other, are for the Taco Hut, late afternoon Saturday; see Brock for fine tuning of this annual event.  Have fun.   Hoping all is well with you two.   JK :D 

8/4/2017 (see also:  The Post-Journal, National Comedy Center thread for interesting $$ article/NYS)

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Front Page, Clean-Cut Comedy, Jim Gaffigan Opens Lucille Ball Comedy Fest, by Katrina Fuller, "The floor was cold but the mic was hot Thursday night.  Gaffigan opened LucyFest at Northwest Arena, filled to the brim with excited patrons;" published, 2017. [shortened for effect] [see: thepost-journal.com for full details]

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, ​Desi Arnaz Memorabilia On Display, by Remington Whitcomb, "Supplemental to LucyFest activities, a collection of Arnaz artifacts on display at historic Jamestown Train Station.  Exhibit curated at Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum takes guests through timeline of his life, displays handful important artifacts, including letters to/from former US presidents, props from role: Ricky Ricardo/I Love Lucy; some of his personal library/favorite books; and much more; in honor of Desi's 100th Anniversary of life [3/2/1917-12/2/1986;" published, 2017. [shortened for effect] [see: thepost-journal.com for full article].

Checking in. Got in around noon. Got to the Desi exhibit. I'll post good photos when I'm home.

Holy rain Batman. It poured this afternoon.

I was at the Dykeman when the biblical floods began. The water was up to my ankles on the way back to the car. :o

It has been a wonderful festival so far!

We got into down around 2 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon and the first stop was the Frame Store.

Pickings were relatively slim this year, but I did make one big purchase I’m very happy with. The big thrill, however, was being able to hold – even for a few minutes – the purse Lucy used at her wedding to Gary Morton. How I wish I had an extra $4,000 kicking around!

After that, I scoped out the Prendergast Library’s annual book sale and found a few fun books, and then we went over to a nearby antique market to see if there was anything groovy (nothing notable) and it was back here for dinner and a pub meet up with some of the LucyFest regulars, which was a terrific gathering – and one we have repeated each night!

Thursday began with breakfast at the hotel, a dash to pick up a couple of toiletries I forgot at home, and over to Lucy Lane to see Mary, Bill and to check out the garage sale. I picked up the new kids book Who Was Lucille Ball? Which is very impressive in its detail and illustrations. Back to Jamestown, it was over to the Train Station to check out the new Desi Exhibition, which is a small collection of artefacts wonderfully presented. My favourite piece was a blow-up of notes Desi sent to Lucy recommending ways to punch up Wildcat.

Elsewhere in the Train Station, the mystery of the slim pickings at the frame store was solved when just about everything that would have normally been in said Frame Store is on the silent auction block. A very good collection of stuff, but with starting bids high enough to turn off the novice collector or those coming here for the first time looking for that one special artefact to bring home.

Next up was the Tropicana Lunch with Wanda.

It was so wonderful to see here again after so long and she received a rapturous welcome. Clearly adored.

The event was hosted by Ric Wyman, who included a multimedia presentation of clips to spur discussion with Wanda. Clips include her guest appearance on Here’s Lucy, Lucy on Body Language with Isabel Sanford, Robert Morse and Richard Simmons, the stilt bit from Electric Mattress, and excerpts from Alan Thicke’s interview with Lucy from the Life with Lucy set.

It’s a stroke of genius having Ric host these events. It’s so nice to have sessions like these led by someone with a real passion and real knowledge of Big Red.

The next event was once again in the Tropicana Room.

Some people seemed disappointed with the Members’ Only Party, but I thought it was actually pretty incredible. At first sight it did indeed look disappointed, with people clustered around three small tables leafing through just as many binders – but what was inside those binders!

The first collection Mike Elliott and I went through was a collection of letters spanning two decades between Lucy and her childhood friend Mary Bratt, which covered just about everything – from her pregnancy with Lucie to her broken leg.

The second collection was even more expansive, featuring a couple of dozen letters between Lucy and Pauline Lopus. They were funny, insightful and compelling. Of particular interest was an undated letter, presumably from 55 or 56 discussing plans for Lucy and Desi’s “next film for Metro” and the early plans to have just one more season of I Love Lucy before transitioning to the hour format.

The third binder was a true WOW – Lucy’s personal scrapbook from Lucy In London featuring everything from on-set snapshots, behind the scenes and otherwise unpublished photos, official documents, etc.

We must have spent a good hour going through everything and, bar one woman, were the last two people there.

While my mom went to Alan Zweibel in Conversation – she came back with glowing reviews – most of us went to Desi’s 100th Birthday Party which featured some truly creative costumes, food, and appearance from the Fab Four, a great new emcee, and a DJ spinning 50s and 60s music direct from 45s.

A brief break after that, it was Jim Gaffigan, who was very good, and another night at the pub.

• Like 1

Today has been a blast so far.

After breakfast, it was off to Celoron to catch the Summer Wind Cruise with Wanda.

Sitting on the top of the boat, my Mom, Mike Elliott and I caught up with Taylor and Gypsy.

Wanda once again had the crowd in the palm of her hand in another event hosted by Ric.

This time, it was more of a show and tell with a “treasure chest” of objects being used to facilitate discussion. These artefacts included a photo of the full cast and crew of Here’s Lucy, a framed photo of Lucy and Gale, a Lucille Ball Productions ice bucket, and Carol Burnett clippings. It was great, and Wanda told some marvellous stories.

For those keeping score, both statues of Lucy remain in place at Lucille Ball Memorial Park.

Following the cruise, it was back to the Train Station to check out how we’re doing in the silent auction and take in the George Carlin exhibition. Very well done – and interactive!

With that done, I went down the street to the Dykeman Young Gallery – one of my all-time favourite shops – to see their photographic exhibition of local Lucy landmarks and get lost in the vintage emporium. I came out of there with a framed vintage photo of a Jamestown streetscape featuring a truck promoting the upcoming premiere of Forever Darling, an autographed photo of Willard Waterman (it was a good deal) and five lobby cards from April In Paris with Doris Day and Ray Bolger.

It pained me to leave behind another non-Lucy-related item and I am going to have to sleep on that one.

It has been a quiet afternoon and evening, however, as I had to stay in the hotel and do a bit of work, but in between I’ve grabbed dinner and watched the biblical floods continue to unfold.

I sat out the Trivia Contest for the first time ever. The antiseptic current format of the contest really leaves me cold.

Next: The King of Queens and a Pub reunion with Shelly! :D

Is everyone up for Taco Hut tomorrow? Looking at the schedule I think the time that would work for most people is 3.30 p.m. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I was at the Dykeman when the biblical floods began. The water was up to my ankles on the way back to the car. :o

WE were warm and DRY in the PUB; last night for you should have been TODAY, er .............. with us!  then, we toured the beginnings of the betterment of CELORON NY; and it's about time....  ask the McCulloughs; we stayed fairly dry; except for my butt; when getting in my car at Best Western, with windows down during downpour and our DRY PERIOD.  See you tomorrow....

It has been a wonderful festival so far!

We got into down around 2 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon and the first stop was the Frame Store.

Pickings were relatively slim this year, but I did make one big purchase I’m very happy with. The big thrill, however, was being able to hold – even for a few minutes – the purse Lucy used at her wedding to Gary Morton. How I wish I had an extra $4,000 kicking around!

After that, I scoped out the Prendergast Library’s annual book sale and found a few fun books, and then we went over to a nearby antique market to see if there was anything groovy (nothing notable) and it was back here for dinner and a pub meet up with some of the LucyFest regulars, which was a terrific gathering – and one we have repeated each night!

Thursday began with breakfast at the hotel, a dash to pick up a couple of toiletries I forgot at home, and over to Lucy Lane to see Mary, Bill and to check out the garage sale. I picked up the new kids book Who Was Lucille Ball? Which is very impressive in its detail and illustrations. Back to Jamestown, it was over to the Train Station to check out the new Desi Exhibition, which is a small collection of artefacts wonderfully presented. My favourite piece was a blow-up of notes Desi sent to Lucy recommending ways to punch up Wildcat.

Elsewhere in the Train Station, the mystery of the slim pickings at the frame store was solved when just about everything that would have normally been in said Frame Store is on the silent auction block. A very good collection of stuff, but with starting bids high enough to turn off the novice collector or those coming here for the first time looking for that one special artefact to bring home.

Next up was the Tropicana Lunch with Wanda.

It was so wonderful to see here again after so long and she received a rapturous welcome. Clearly adored.

The event was hosted by Ric Wyman, who included a multimedia presentation of clips to spur discussion with Wanda. Clips include her guest appearance on Here’s Lucy, Lucy on Body Language with Isabel Sanford, Robert Morse and Richard Simmons, the stilt bit from Electric Mattress, and excerpts from Alan Thicke’s interview with Lucy from the Life with Lucy set.

It’s a stroke of genius having Ric host these events. It’s so nice to have sessions like these led by someone with a real passion and real knowledge of Big Red.

The next event was once again in the Tropicana Room.

Some people seemed disappointed with the Members’ Only Party, but I thought it was actually pretty incredible. At first sight it did indeed look disappointed, with people clustered around three small tables leafing through just as many binders – but what was inside those binders!

The first collection Mike Elliott and I went through was a collection of letters spanning two decades between Lucy and her childhood friend Mary Bratt, which covered just about everything – from her pregnancy with Lucie to her broken leg.

The second collection was even more expansive, featuring a couple of dozen letters between Lucy and Pauline Lopus. They were funny, insightful and compelling. Of particular interest was an undated letter, presumably from 55 or 56 discussing plans for Lucy and Desi’s “next film for Metro” and the early plans to have just one more season of I Love Lucy before transitioning to the hour format.

The third binder was a true WOW – Lucy’s personal scrapbook from Lucy In London featuring everything from on-set snapshots, behind the scenes and otherwise unpublished photos, official documents, etc.

We must have spent a good hour going through everything and, bar one woman, were the last two people there.

While my mom went to Alan Zweibel in Conversation – she came back with glowing reviews – most of us went to Desi’s 100th Birthday Party which featured some truly creative costumes, food, and appearance from the Fab Four, a great new emcee, and a DJ spinning 50s and 60s music direct from 45s.

A brief break after that, it was Jim Gaffigan, who was very good, and another night at the pub.

WOW you packed so much in here!

So it appears Ric is back in "good graces" going by this given his heavy involvement....interesting.

My favorite part(s) was hearing how warmly Wanda was welcomed...not surprising and well-deserved.  Wish I could have been there to witness that alone!

Would love to have seen the Body Language clip again...was there any discussion about it?  Did it include the audience shot of the banner we held up in honor of Lucy? That was Rick Carl's idea, as I recall, and it was WUNDAFUL to have been a part of it!

Boss, "I sat out the Trivia Contest for the first time ever. The antiseptic current format of the contest really leaves me cold." Could you elaborate? This is an interesting comment but I'm not sure what you mean, given I've never witnessed this 'sperience. 

Curious as always...

Glad to hear you Loungers are having a great time!! :peachonthebeach: