Updated: Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds have died

Brock

I saw the trailer for the documentary today. I'm glad they were able to capture this. Debbie looks to be in good health in the clips they used. I saw an interview from this summer where she discussed her Oscar win and she was looking very frail.

You mean her nomination? She didn't actually win ultimately. :lucywow:

I flipped on the TV just as Inside Edition was talking about the funeral. Carrie was cremated, but some of her ashes were buried next to Debbie. The two will be next door neighbors for eternity with Bette Davis. A service was held at Debbie's home, where Meryl Streep sang Happy Days Are Here Again (Carrie's favorite song).

The following is a story relayed to me by Max.

Back in the 1980s, he attended numerous performances of the original Australian production of Cats, which featured famed Australian singer Debra "Debbie" Byrne as Grizabella. At one of those performances, the announcement came on that an understudy would be playing the role in Debra's place that night. Two older ladies were sitting behind him, evidently hard of hearing.

Lady #1: "What did he say?"

Lady #2:: "He said Debbie Reynolds isn't in it tonight."

Max nearly wet himself. I think the idea of Debbie Reynolds starring in Cats is enough to put a smile on anyone's face.

• Like 1

The following is a story relayed to me by Max.

Back in the 1980s, he attended numerous performances of the original Australian production of Cats, which featured famed Australian singer Debra "Debbie" Byrne as Grizabella. At one of those performances, the announcement came on that an understudy would be playing the role in Debra's place that night. Two older ladies were sitting behind him, evidently hard of hearing.

Lady #1: "What did he say?"

Lady #2:: "He said Debbie Reynolds isn't in it tonight."

Max nearly wet himself. I think the idea of Debbie Reynolds starring in Cats is enough to put a smile on anyone's face.

Completely unrelated to Debbie/Carrie, but I was standing in line for Broadway tickets and the lady up ahead of me said to the box office clerk, "we want to see "Lez Miserables"", pronouncing it phonetically  "LEZ" and 'Miserables' as in 'I'm feeling miserable (plural) today". 

• Like 1

Completely unrelated to Debbie/Carrie, but I was standing in line for Broadway tickets and the lady up ahead of me said to the box office clerk, "we want to see "Lez Miserables"", pronouncing it phonetically  "LEZ" and 'Miserables' as in 'I'm feeling miserable (plural) today".

I'll bet anyone selling tickets to Les Mis has to hear that at least once a day.

While we're on the subject of audience confusion, I attended a matinee of Sunset Boulevard five years ago in Brunswick. My friend and I aside, most of the audience were quite elderly. One old lady whispered to her friend prior to the curtain, "Does this take place in New York?"

Does Sunset Boulevard, the frequently subtitled "A Hollywood Story", take place in New York...no dear, it doesn't, I wanted to say.

I either pronounce Les Miserables as "Lay Miz", or in the wildly incorrect, but funny way mentioned by Neil. I don't feel comfortable trying to sound authentic when I say things in another language- I have a bit of a hangup about not coming across as pretentious.

Going even more off track, in response to Lotus Bud's Sunset anecdote, I was reminded of a few years ago when our family was gathered together watching All About Eve one night. Margo Channing said her Bumpy Night line, at which point my dad perked up and said "Oh! Is Bette Davis in this movie?"

• Like 3

I either pronounce Les Miserables as "Lay Miz", or in the wildly incorrect, but funny way mentioned by Neil. I don't feel comfortable trying to sound authentic when I say things in another language- I have a bit of a hangup about not coming across as pretentious.

Going even more off track, in response to Lotus Bud's Sunset anecdote, I was reminded of a few years ago when our family was gathered together watching All About Eve one night. Margo Channing said her Bumpy Night line, at which point my dad perked up and said "Oh! Is Bette Davis in this movie?"

LOL! He hadn't realized before that point or had he not been watching intently?