Why Couldn't Lucy Have Been a Little More Hip?

Harry agrees to buy the tickets upfront with the promise that the other 3 will pay him back "plus my customary convenience fee".  But when Harry finds out each ticket is a chance to be personally serenaded by Jones onstage (information he withholds from the girls) he keeps all the ticket stubs in case one is the winner.....which of course, it is.  Harry latches on to it as "my ticket" and strolls up on stage.  

Tom: Here comes our lucky young...(sees Harry) ....girl??"   (Hopefully Jones will be enough of an actor that his facial expression upon seeing his gushing croon-ee Harry will get a laugh.)

Bandleader to Tom: "Next in your set is "It's Not Unusual".  

Tom turns his head toward Harry, then back to bandleader "I think we'd better skip that one". 

Lucy to Harry: "NOW I know why you 'took the veil'."

Harry: Nonsense. I just feel it's only fair...to Mr. Jones..(nods to Tom who tries to fake a smile) (then, aside so Lucy can't hear): But hoo boy! I've been waiting years to lift it for Tom Jones!"

However Lucy, Carol and Mary Jane, now onto his scheme,  have no intention of Harry getting away with this and after a few bars with an enraptured Harry is Tom's uncomfortable arms, the three storm the stage.

LUCY:  Harry, could I have this afternoon off?

HARRY:  What?!!  You come in an hour late, then expect me to let you leave work early on the same day!  No way!  You have all these files to organize before the meeting on Friday with one of our most important clients.

LUCY:  But Harry, it's important!

HARRY:  What is more important than a rich . . . I mean, an important client?

LUCY (rolls eyes):  Harry, I need the afternoon off because Mary Jane, Carol Krausmeyer and I need to buy tickets for the Tom Jones concert on Saturday night.  I may never get another opportunity.  His shows are almost impossible to get into.  He's my absolute favorite.  They will sell out if we don't get there early.  I promise I will make it up to you tomorrow.  Just this one time, Harry, please.

HARRY:  Tom Jones!  Why didn't you tell me it's for Tom Jones?  Oh Tom Jones, I just adore Tom Jones!  He's my idol.

LUCY:  I didn't know that.

HARRY:  Why yes, I worship the very ground he gyrates on.

LUCY:  So you will let me leave early?

HARRY:  Only if you buy four tickets.

LUCY:  Four tickets?  There are only three of us.

HARRY:  You, Mary Jane, Carol, and ME.  That's four.

LUCY:  Oh Harry.

HARRY:  It's four tickets or NO tickets.

LUCY:  Alright, alright.

Harry agrees to buy the tickets upfront with the promise that the other 3 will pay him back "plus my customary convenience fee".  But when Harry finds out each ticket is a chance to be personally serenaded by Jones onstage (information he withholds from the girls) he keeps all the ticket stubs in case one is the winner.....which of course, it is.  Harry latches on to it as "my ticket" and strolls up on stage.  

Tom: Here comes our lucky young...(sees Harry) ....girl??"   (Hopefully Jones will be enough of an actor that his facial expression upon seeing his gushing croon-ee Harry will get a laugh.)

Bandleader to Tom: "Next in your set is "It's Not Unusual".  

Tom turns his head toward Harry, then back to bandleader "I think we'd better skip that one". 

Lucy to Harry: "NOW I know why you 'took the veil'."

Harry: Nonsense. I just feel it's only fair...to Mr. Jones..(nods to Tom who tries to fake a smile) (then, aside so Lucy can't hear): But hoo boy! I've been waiting years to lift it for Tom Jones!"

However Lucy, Carol and Mary Jane, now onto his scheme,  have no intention of Harry getting away with this and after a few bars with an enraptured Harry is Tom's uncomfortable arms, the three storm the stage.

Perfect, but now we need to figure out how Lucy is able to storm the stage with them while being braless and wearing no pants.  What would Bob O'Brien do?

• Like 1

Perfect, but now we need to figure out how Lucy is able to storm the stage with them while being braless and wearing no pants.  What would Bob O'Brien do?

Very simple.  Lucy grabs the foundation garment* flung on the stage by Barbara Morrison and the three gals all shinny into it, though their 6-legged stair climb for their stage entrance is a bit awkward  (but awkward is what Lucy does best).

*What were those things called?  And do "fuller figured" women still wear them?  You know what I mean?  A combination bra, girdle and panties (I guess) with those garter hooks at the base to hold up their stockings.   My grandmother wore one.  I saw it drip-drying over her tub once and had absolutely no idea what it was., but "something you wear" was not even my first guess.   My grandmother never ever wore pants, even the one windy day I remember her going to the beach with us.  (she spent most of the day posing like Marilyn Monroe over the subway grate, trying to keep her dress from blowing over her head--had Marilyn's character been played by Barbara Morrison).  But hugging her I thought, for a largish woman she's as tight as a drum. Ignorant of the bullitt-deflecting contraption underneath I thought "Someone's been working out!"

You have to have known my grandmother for the visual of her at a gym with a personal trainer to elicit the true LOL it deserves. 

• Like 2

Women don't wear that bra, gridle hook thing as regular underwear anymore. You'll find the whole thing on ocsssion as sexy lingerie. You also have the garters done now in skirts, just a belt or attached to a corset. Very few women wear this everyday. Hosiery is not really a thing anymore and thigh highs are reserved for sexy lingerie. You will find all these garments as sexy lingerie or done for pinup photos. Today when you need to suck it in we go for Spanx.

• Like 1

Very simple.  Lucy grabs the foundation garment* flung on the stage by Barbara Morrison and the three gals all shinny into it, though their 6-legged stair climb for their stage entrance is a bit awkward  (but awkward is what Lucy does best).

That is a Lucy scene I can easily visualize.  :)  Too bad we weren't in charge of the scripts (and guest stars).  Your grandmother, by the way, sounds like a character!

'Perfect, but now we need to figure out how Lucy is able to storm the stage with them while being braless and wearing no pants.  What would Bob O'Brien do?'

ER......BETTER yet; what would DeDe do???? :HALKING:

From what I've heard about hot pants-wearing DeDe, she would be one of those women!

That is a Lucy scene I can easily visualize.  :)  Too bad we weren't in charge of the scripts (and guest stars).  Your grandmother, by the way, sounds like a character!

From what I've heard about hot pants-wearing DeDe, she would be one of those women!

Hot pants?? DeDe??! Oh my! Now there's a visual!! :lucywow::vanda::lucyeww:

Too bad we weren't in charge of the scripts (and guest stars).  Your grandmother, by the way, sounds like a character!

1. After giving Josefsburg, Ragaway, Jacobs and Fox pink slips, we could kiss our membership at Hillcrest good-by.

We'd have to limit the function of our 'executive producer' to doing audience warm-ups and convince him we need him to do research on the golf course full time for a phantom pilot we're proposing about the antics of golf enthusiast "Gary Stewart".  

2. Getting back to guest stars: I'm not really up on my Elizabeth Taylor history but I would venture that her appearance on Here's Lucy was her last high-water mark as a performer.  I don't think she'd had a prestigious or hit movie since "Virginia Wolf" in '66 and was not in high demand in the 70s.  From 1970 on, when she was not quite 40, she was known more for her private life: ailments and, of course, marriages.  Even later 'successes', "Private Lives" on Broadway were more treading water than artistically applauded.   Burton only lived another 14 years after the Here's Lucy episode, and from his imdb credits looks like he took work strictly for the money, as drinking leached his gift.

Helen Hayes was the only other high profile guest star on Here's Lucy I can think of.....but why did they entrust Jacobs and Fox with the script? (when they just unearthed plot #27A and added a ridiculous seance)

3. My grandmother wasn't as much a hoot as pure salt of the earth.  I marvel at what she saw in her lifetime (the widespread availability of electricity and cars, indoor plumbing being the norm, radio, movies, TV,  recorded music....to landing a man on the moon).  I only wished I had asked her more questions about what life was like in the early part of the century. 

When it came time to prepare dinner, she would nonchalantly walk to the chicken house, grab one by the neck, twirl it around, then proceed to pluck and clean it, then cook it to perfection on a wood-burning stove!  After witnessing the execution, I could not eat the fried dinner in front of me.