I Love Lucy On Blu-Ray

If paramount decides to re-release the ILL in Full 1080p HD, Would you be willing to buy it?

Personally, I wouldn't even think twice about it. Sure it's the same ole' shows and honestly i find quality of the DVD's to be quite satisfying, but it's so exciting to have a new Lucy product to look forward to. Especially, after many years when that simply wasn't the case. That's why i'm enjoying this era so much.

Thank You. It feel is great to be back ^_^

Well, it feel is great to have you back among us or you among us back. LOL! As much as i cannot see any advantage to ILL on Blu Ray, how much better or clearer can they make those shows anyway? But yeah, i'm in to buy them again also, they might a little something to SPECIAL FEATURES to entice us into forking out more money anyway.

they might a little something to SPECIAL FEATURES to entice us into forking out more money anyway.

Exactly, that would even further convince me to buy.

One thing they still owe us is the missing HIVES SCENE from "The Celebrity Next Door". I still am Appalled that they didn't include this on the DVD set.

If paramount decides to re-release the ILL in Full 1080p HD, Would you be willing to buy it?

Personally, I wouldn't even think twice about it. Sure it's the same ole' shows and honestly i find quality of the DVD's to be quite satisfying, but it's so exciting to have a new Lucy product to look forward to. Especially, after many years when that simply wasn't the case. That's why i'm enjoying this era so much.

Don't be surprised if they're colorized first! wacko.gif

But to answer your question, since I've already invested in Blu-Ray and I'm one of those if it comes out I've gotta have it types, that's a resounding YES! Besides, though the quality -- just like it did with VHS and DVD and now with BD, can be quite variable, when done right you'd be amazed how STUNNING a BD picture CAN look, particularly on a big High Definition large-screen display.

Works for me! wink.gif

I couldn't say yes or no cause I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet but I've heard such great things about them that yes I probably would. I would rather it come out on Blu-Ray before it comes out in colour. To b honest, I don't think it is necessary for it to be colorized, why fix something that isn't broken?

I'm so angry about that, too! It's such an important scene in the show. What were they thinking not including it? :angry:

Well, i did not recall it not being there but cannot understand why you are surprised, didn't those morons also show the Christmas show in color but without the black and white flashbacks making it seem like it made no sense, remember the time . . . and then not remembering to show the scene?

didn't those morons also show the Christmas show in color but without the black and white flashbacks making it seem like it made no sense, remember the time . . . and then not remembering to show the scene?

:lucydisgust: That is terrible.

I Don't miss watching Syndicated episodes, but Looking back, it so funny what the network's got away with before the TV on DVD age. It really was a different world then.

:lucydisgust: That is terrible.

I Don't miss watching Syndicated episodes, but Looking back, it so funny what the network's got away with before the TV on DVD age. It really was a different world then.

Yeah.....only THREE networks and not many more channels! :marionstrong:

Anywhoot.... one theory for whomever commented on why colorize them they're fine they way they are, I couldn't agree more....but unfortunately, we're now in a time when this may very well be the first generation of folks who will grow up WITHOUT ever seeing ILL on broadcast -- or, the way they keep getting yanked on and off, cable for that matter!! -- television, one argument being that "kids don't want to see anything in that old-fashioned, awful-looking black & white"...despite the fact that that's part of their charm and history and the way they were made to be seen! Thus, less and less (cable, primarily) programmers want to buy and run B&W programming, they don't care WHO it is!! Sad, isn't it??? I think so.

And don't get me started on how cheesy colorization looks -- yes, it looks a hundred times better than it did when it first came to light (thanks for NOTHING, Ted Turner!) but it still never looks quite "right", or natural -- especially teeth/mouth and hair. Watch a few colorized episodes, for instance, of the first two seasons of Bewitched or first season of Jeannie and see what I mean -- and they even had later seasons in "true" color to work off of!! Ridiculous.

Give me good old B&W -- if that's the way it originated -- anyday. :P

Exactly, that would even further convince me to buy.

One thing they still owe us is the missing HIVES SCENE from "The Celebrity Next Door". I still am Appalled that they didn't include this on the DVD set.

Fortunately, this scene was uploaded to YouTube a while ago:

And while we're on the subject, I was reading the YouTube comments and some users were under the impression that the scene WAS on their sets. It's not on the individual set, that's for sure. Can anyone with the complete series DVD set verify that this scene-- Tallulah's mention of her allergy-- does not appear in the episode nor in the special features section?

Anywhoot.... one theory for whomever commented on why colorize them they're fine they way they are, I couldn't agree more....but unfortunately, we're now in a time when this may very well be the first generation of folks who will grow up WITHOUT ever seeing ILL on broadcast -- or, the way they keep getting yanked on and off, cable for that matter!! -- television, one argument being that "kids don't want to see anything in that old-fashioned, awful-looking black & white"...despite the fact that that's part of their charm and history and the way they were made to be seen! Thus, less and less (cable, primarily) programmers want to buy and run B&W programming, they don't care WHO it is!! Sad, isn't it??? I think so.

And don't get me started on how cheesy colorization looks -- yes, it looks a hundred times better than it did when it first came to light (thanks for NOTHING, Ted Turner!) but it still never looks quite "right", or natural -- especially teeth/mouth and hair. Watch a few colorized episodes, for instance, of the first two seasons of Bewitched or first season of Jeannie and see what I mean -- and they even had later seasons in "true" color to work off of!! Ridiculous.

Give me good old B&W -- if that's the way it originated -- anyday. :P

Ok bubbela, go watch the Scottish ep, in glorious color and tell me again how being in color is not that significant. Citizen Kane is the greatest film ever made but it also lost out on it's audience BECAUSE it's in black and white, Gone with the Wind, made two years earlier, but in glorious color is still considered one of the greatest movies ever made. You just have to go with the times poopsie.

Fortunately, this scene was uploaded to YouTube a while ago:

And while we're on the subject, I was reading the YouTube comments and some users were under the impression that the scene WAS on their sets. It's not on the individual set, that's for sure. Can anyone with the complete series DVD set verify that this scene-- Tallulah's mention of her allergy-- does not appear in the episode nor in the special features section?

I will tomorrow, as i am one of those people that would have sworn that the show was complete on the dvd and included the HIVES scene. Then again, i preferred the dvds when they had two or three eps on each instead of this gigantic box that you have to take apart and then dig for the one dvd that has the show you want to see. I've watched shows on tv, syndicated and chopped up and with those damned commercials just to avoid the hassle of taking apart that box to find the show i want to see.

Can anyone with the complete series DVD set verify that this scene-- Tallulah's mention of her allergy-- does not appear in the episode nor in the special features section?

I have the complete series DVD set and this scene is not included. It is also not included in the special features. Thanks for the youtube link - I haven't seen that before! :)

I have the complete series DVD set and this scene is not included. It is also not included in the special features. Thanks for the youtube link - I haven't seen that before! :)

How the hell could they have put the show out on dvd and not have it be C O M P L E T E ? Isn't that the whole point of having the show on dvd to have them complete and re mastered?

How the hell could they have put the show out on dvd and not have it be C O M P L E T E ? Isn't that the whole point of having the show on dvd to have them complete and re mastered?

LOOOOL!!! The Irony of it all is that they have sections dedicated to the FLUBS of the series, yet they couldn't even spot ones of their own. Major FAIL on their part.

Anywhoot.... one theory for whomever commented on why colorize them they're fine they way they are, I couldn't agree more....but unfortunately, we're now in a time when this may very well be the first generation of folks who will grow up WITHOUT ever seeing ILL on broadcast -- or, the way they keep getting yanked on and off, cable for that matter!! --

That just makes so sad. The kids today are gonna be looking back at shows like, JERSEY SHORE and whatever reality TV crap they put out, and view them as being CLASSIC TV. UGH.

LOOOOL!!! The Irony of it all is that they have sections dedicated to the FLUBS of the series, yet they couldn't even spot ones of their own. Major FAIL on their part.

That just makes so sad. The kids today are gonna be looking back at shows like, JERSEY SHORE and whatever reality TV crap they put out, and view them as being CLASSIC TV. UGH.

Huh, no, for garbage like Jersey Shore the term was changed to CRAPPIC TV.

So...they goofed. Given the overall quality of these releases, this I'm not gonna carp about, despite agreeing that it should have been caught and should have been included. blink.gif

Being the curious type, now I want to dig out my old VHS copy of this and see if it was included therein. If it was...and didn't translate to the DVDs like we're talking about, then something is really amiss! I'll get back to you! cool.gif

So...they goofed. Given the overall quality of these releases, this I'm not gonna carp about, despite agreeing that it should have been caught and should have been included. blink.gif

Being the curious type, now I want to dig out my old VHS copy of this and see if it was included therein. If it was...and didn't translate to the DVDs like we're talking about, then something is really amiss! I'll get back to you! cool.gif

Yeah, i forgot to check my copy today, i really have to as i do not bleieve it never made it on there C O M P L E T E ! I mean, it's a friggin PLOT POINT for chrissakes. Then again, if Edward Stevenson really did share an Oscar with Hedda Hopper for designing the clothes on Facts of Life, who the hell really knows for sure?

There were 2 scenes from the original broadcast of THE CELEBRITY NEXT DOOR that are included as extras and not in the actual episode. And there are scenes from LUCY HUNTS URANIUM, LUCY WINS A RACEHORSE, LUCY MAKES ROOM FOR DANNY, and MILTON BERLE HIDES OUT AT THE RICARDOS. Were these scenes not included in the episodes because of their poor quality?

I've never seen these episodes other than on the DVD, but I've always felt that some of them were missing something or had been edited-- particularly LUCY MEETS THE MOUSTACHE.

Anyone have a reason to believe that some other episodes might be edited?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the VHS, but I think it's missing there too. I taped all the one hour shows when they aired as We Love Lucy specials, and the hives dialogue IS there.

As far as BluRay, it would be a good way to fix a boo-boo like this!

But I would only buy it if the episodes were presented the way viewers in the 50s saw them: original openings, animated intros and outros, all commercials, the missing scenes as part of the show (not as bonus features.) Now THAT would be incredible.

I'd also buy a BluRay package if the shows were colorized. I'm all for that. Every episode would be a brand new experience. To finally see Lucy and Ethel all dolled up in 'The Charm School', and see Lucy flinging purple grapes, and just being able to see Lucy's great dresses in full color!

Lucy on BluRay would have to be really special, or it's not worth the expense.

Archived