UPDATED: Mary Tyler Moore 1936 - 2017

HarryCarter

From Valerie's Facebook:

To ... The World

From...Valerie Harper or "Rhoda"

Last week, to prepare me, I was kindly warned by Mary Tyler Moore's dear husband, Dr. Robert Levine, that she was in the very last stages of life.

But still I cannot stop the emotions I'm experiencing, since she was my acting colleague, my sister/soulmate, and above all, ONE HELL OF A GIRLFRIEND!

Working together we knew each other so well we could anticipate each other's moods, ever ready to engage and KNOW there would be an appropriate response from Mary.

I will always feel privileged and honored with the amount of quality time I was able to spend with Mary.

I'll miss you "Mair."

I will always be your co-pilot.

I will always love you, darling Mary Tyler Moore.

This is ...everything. :(

• Like 1

I hope the 20/20 special is better tonight than what CBS did. 20 mins with Oprah got a fast forward from me. The rest wasn't bad.

THANK YOU! (If there were a "Love This" rather than a "Like This" button I would have clicked that!) Why the hell did it turn into the Oprah-all-about-me-about-Mary interview?? Jeez! ...and I like Oprah! But those twenty minutes should have been edited down to two or three....i.e. the classic clip where Mary surprised here and brief discussion about it was more than enough...

I was also a bit disappointed that her later career -- in which she continued to appear in films sporadically -- including several highly-regarded TV movies should have been highlighted more too....but given it was a CBS production, naturally they'd focus on the two high-profile and most familiar to the masses credits on her resume, especially since they're affiliated with the same network. :blink:

They showed just a bit of her diabetes work but I also would have liked a Broadway Barks mention. She did that for 10 years.

I'm not the only one who who hated the Oprah love fest.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-cbs-tribute-to-mary-tyler-moore.html?m=1

Exactly! Hoping (and I think she has) Bernadette Peters keeps it going!

And enough can't be said about all she did for Juvenile Diabetes! I'm sure her voice will be sorely missed.

I get the whole Gayle King/Oprah thing but still... at least a third of the hour-long tribute?? Ridiculous. :vanda:

Here's hoping ABC's special tonight is more all-encompassing! ;)

• Like 1

From Valerie's Facebook:

To ... The World

From...Valerie Harper or "Rhoda"

Last week, to prepare me, I was kindly warned by Mary Tyler Moore's dear husband, Dr. Robert Levine, that she was in the very last stages of life.

But still I cannot stop the emotions I'm experiencing, since she was my acting colleague, my sister/soulmate, and above all, ONE HELL OF A GIRLFRIEND!

Working together we knew each other so well we could anticipate each other's moods, ever ready to engage and KNOW there would be an appropriate response from Mary.

I will always feel privileged and honored with the amount of quality time I was able to spend with Mary.

I'll miss you "Mair."

I will always be your co-pilot.

I will always love you, darling Mary Tyler Moore.

I missed it as I wasn't on social media much yesterday but Bets did finally comment (well ...someone on her "team"...I find it hard to believe actually she's the one who's actually doing the "tweeting"! :blink: )...which can be found here:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/betty-white-remembers-special-mary-tyler-moore.html

Exactly! Hoping (and I think she has) Bernadette Peters keeps it going!

I've gone to Broadway Barks for years and it was always a highlight of my year to see Mary there. The last time Mary hosted was 2012. Bernadette has continued with guest co-hosts since then. Mary was a delight every year. It was clear how difficult it was for her to read the introductions, but she brought so much humor to it that no one felt uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I've gone to Broadway Barks for years and it was always a highlight of my year to see Mary there. The last time Mary hosted was 2012. Bernadette has continued with guest co-hosts since then. Mary was a delight every year. It was clear how difficult it was for her to read the introductions, but she brought so much humor to it that no one felt uncomfortable.

Wow, thanks for sharing that Jimmy! It's nice to know. Gawd she'll be missed. :lucyblah:

Dick Van Dyke tweeted: "I enjoyed catching a glimpse of Mary Tyler Moore on The Oprah Winfrey Show on CBS", to which Ken Levine replied "So it wasn't just me."

I was particularly turned off by the time-wasting, unnecessary Ophra-centric information that she told her staff NEVER to do that again.  (surprise her with a guest). 

In their defense (and it's not much of one), they slapped this production together pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

I was particularly turned off by the time-wasting, unnecessary Ophra-centric information that she told her staff NEVER to do that again.  (surprise her with a guest). 

In their defense (and it's not much of one), they slapped this production together pretty quickly. 

That was the problem... even given the Gayle/Oprah connection...5 minutes tops of her would have been more than enough!  It should have been all about MARY!!! :lucyhorror:

• Like 1

Finally caught the ABC special. Much better. I don't think I recall hearing the Lucy story before. And loved that Broadway Barks got some time.

On CBS Sunday morning they had a nice piece.

Had another commitment couldn't by-pass; missed the ABC Special; anyone care to 'put in print' here on the Lounge, the Lucy story/(ies)?  I'd like the memory within the chronology if it warrants it.  THANKS!  JK :fabrary: 

Tonight GetTV will be airing Dick Van Dyke and The Other Woman, the TV special that led to Mary getting her own show. For my fellow poor saps who don't get the station, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VWCutUapb0

GetTV cuts out Mary's terrific musical salute to women through the years. It's complete here.

• Like 1

That first season of MTM is the only one I don't own.

That's funny, Neil.  S1 is also the only season I don't own.  I think the premiere episode was strong, but much of the rest of the season is kind of dull, which is why I never bought it.  It was too Mary-Rhoda focused for my taste, and Mary was too super sweet, so she couldn't be funny.  Over time her character got more well rounded and, like any human being, we eventually found there were limits to her sweetness.  And it was when she reached those limits that she was so funny.  And the other characters got more integrated into the show as the series progressed.  Ted, in the first season, was completely one dimensional but eventually grew into a complete character.  I think the show picked up a little more steam in S2, but didn't really start to hit its stride until S3 with lots of LOL moments that were missing earlier on.  And each subsequent season it just got better and better until it was beyond brilliant.  My personal favorite season is the very last one, S7, which makes me think that the writers still had a lot of juice left in them and could have easily gone on at least one or two more years.