UPDATED: Mary Tyler Moore 1936 - 2017

HarryCarter

That's funny, Neil.  S1 is also the only season I don't own.  I think the premiere episode was strong, but much of the rest of the season is kind of dull, which is why I never bought it.  It was too Mary-Rhoda focused for my taste, and Mary was too super sweet, so she couldn't be funny.  Over time her character got more well rounded and, like any human being, we eventually found there were limits to her sweetness.  And it was when she reached those limits that she was so funny.  And the other characters got more integrated into the show as the series progressed.  Ted, in the first season, was completely one dimensional but eventually grew into a complete character.  I think the show picked up a little more steam in S2, but didn't really start to hit its stride until S3 with lots of LOL moments that were missing earlier on.  And each subsequent season it just got better and better until it was beyond brilliant.  My personal favorite season is the very last one, S7, which makes me think that the writers still had a lot of juice left in them and could have easily gone on at least one or two more years.

I agree TMTMS got better and better as it went along, with ostensibly the first season's eps the most varying in quality; still for fans big or otherwise, the 1st Season DVD is worth owning if not for the episodes themselves but also for some WUNDAFUL bonus features which, with successive [season DVD] releases were absent & sorely lacking! :blink:

• Like 1

I agree TMTMS got better and better as it went along, with ostensibly the first season's eps the most varying in quality; still for fans big or otherwise, the 1st Season DVD is worth owning if not for the episodes themselves but also for some WUNDAFUL bonus features which, with successive [season DVD] releases were absent & sorely lacking! :blink:

Season 1 Bonus Features?  Like what?

I was surprised to find out from Mary interviews that it was the producers who wanted to end the series after the 7th season.  Mary wanted to go on for a couple more years.   You'd think she would have done that, promoting producers from within (or hiring the always available Milt Josefsburg). 

But maybe they realized change was in the air when the show finished at #35 for that last season when there were only 70-75 shows.  Opposite "Starchy and Hutch" for the first part of the season and the mind-numbing "Emergency" for the last half, but neither of those finished in the top 30 either.   The trend in comedy went to "Happy Days" and "3's Company".  

"Rhoda" "Phyllis" "Maude" "Bob Newhart" and "Carol Burnett" all finished out of the top 30 and sputtered (ratings-wise) to their ends.  Even All in the Family dropped out of top 10 for the first time (#12). 

The drop I don't understand is "Phyllis" which was #6 its first season (the highest rated of the three MTM-gal shows*); then in its 2nd season so low that it was cancelled--because the show was BETTER its 2nd season with a shift in work locale and the inclusion of more Mother Dexter episodes.  "Mother Dexter Gets Married--part 2" is probably the funniest single half-hour of the 70s. 

I'd have to think to come up with my favorite MTM but it may be that 3rd season opener "The Good Time News".  It's almost unanimous  that the #1 episode was "Chuckles Bites the Dust" but I don't find it particular great. 

1975-76  *Phyllis #6, "Rhoda" (2nd season) #7 and Mary way down to #19.  Amazing that the three season in which MTM was Emmy's best comedy were the three where the show finished out of the top 10 (except for the 1st). 

• Like 1

Season 1 Bonus Features? Like what?

Off the top of my head (I'm too lazy to walk upstairs and snag my DVD), season one has at least two audio commentaries on the Pilot and the Nancy Walker episode that beat out Lucy Meets The Burtons for the writing Emmy. It's also got a big documentary about the early days of the show. There's a trivia game where the questions are asked by cast members.

• Like 1

I love the first season of Mary Tyler Moore because the Mary-Rhoda-Phyllis interplay is always my favorite. I think the series began practically perfect (although Ted is pretty one dimensional and Lou isn't as well developed as he would become). I'd say season four is my favorite season just because it includes every regular. My least favorite season is season six, which I've seen many TV critics cite as the series' best.

I love the first season of Mary Tyler Moore because the Mary-Rhoda-Phyllis interplay is always my favorite. I think the series began practically perfect (although Ted is pretty one dimensional and Lou isn't as well developed as he would become). I'd say season four is my favorite season just because it includes every regular. My least favorite season is season six, which I've seen many TV critics cite as the series' best.

I agree! Season one isn't as laugh-out-loud funny as the show would become, but it has a warmth to it. The show's heart is visible very early on.

I agree! Season one isn't as laugh-out-loud funny as the show would become, but it has a warmth to it. The show's heart is visible very early on.

"Phyllis" 1st season had the earth shattering disadvantage of Barbara Colby as Phyllis's boss being killed before the series even premiered.  Colby was the perfect person to react to Phyllis's faux-sophisticated daffiness.  Her quickly-cast replacement Liz Torres was a pale substitute.  Thankfully they aired the 3 or so Colby episodes.  I happened to be in the studio audience for the first show Liz Torres was on.  I believe she played the same character as Colby.  Colby had done was to be a one-shot appearance on "Mary tyler Moore" and she was so good they brought her back for another episode before casting her in "Phyllis". 

Barbara Colby trivia: she was the (ex) daughter in law of Ethel Merman.  Barbara and Ethel's son remained friendly after their divorce and Ethel was reportedly devastated by the news. 

You know, the entire MTM catalogue has somehow slipped me by over the years. I've seen only one or two Mary Tyler Moore shows, and I don't really remember anything about them. I've never seen one episode of Rhoda. I did watch the pilot of Phyllis and was bored before the halfway mark. I've never seen Lou Grant, either. I'll check them out someday.

You know, the entire MTM catalogue has somehow slipped me by over the years. I've seen only one or two Mary Tyler Moore shows, and I don't really remember anything about them. I've never seen one episode of Rhoda. I did watch the pilot of Phyllis and was bored before the halfway mark. I've never seen Lou Grant, either. I'll check them out someday.

:lucywow:

"Phyllis" 1st season had the earth shattering disadvantage of Barbara Colby as Phyllis's boss being killed before the series even premiered. Colby was the perfect person to react to Phyllis's faux-sophisticated daffiness. Her quickly-cast replacement Liz Torres was a pale substitute. Thankfully they aired the 3 or so Colby episodes. I happened to be in the studio audience for the first show Liz Torres was on. I believe she played the same character as Colby. Colby had done was to be a one-shot appearance on "Mary tyler Moore" and she was so good they brought her back for another episode before casting her in "Phyllis".

Barbara Colby trivia: she was the (ex) daughter in law of Ethel Merman. Barbara and Ethel's son remained friendly after their divorce and Ethel was reportedly devastated by the news.

I like Liz Torres in the role of Julie, but she was definitely lacking a spark that Barbara Colby had. Of course, Liz Torres came into the show under the worst possible circumstances, so it's understandable if she didn't quite work in the role. The two actresses were similar. A third actress who was also very similar and who could have been even better in the role than Liz Torres was Yvonne Wilder. She had played the other tenant in Mary's building besides Rhoda and Phyllis and was only seen in a single episode. She was great in that part. I wish she had worked more on the MTM shows.

• Like 1

I like Liz Torres in the role of Julie, but she was definitely lacking a spark that Barbara Colby had. Of course, Liz Torres came into the show under the worst possible circumstances, so it's understandable if she didn't quite work in the role. The two actresses were similar. A third actress who was also very similar and who could have been even better in the role than Liz Torres was Yvonne Wilder. She had played the other tenant in Mary's building besides Rhoda and Phyllis and was only seen in a single episode. She was great in that part. I wish she had worked more on the MTM shows.

Yvonne Wilder! Yes! She never really "broke big" (i.e. knowing her by name, etc.) did she? But she was always fun to see! Loved whenever she popped up on The Partridge Family as a tart-tongued waitress, which she did three or four times... and she was always a pleasure to watch. :D

Yup, casting no aspersions on Miss Torres but Miss Wilder would have been a great addition to the Phyllis (or any other sitcom for that matter) cast as a regular or even semi-regular recurring character. :desijr:

• 3 weeks later...

I watched "Ordinary People" last night.  What a tear-jerker!  I don't know who won the Best Actress Oscar that year, but Mary should have. Her portrayal was spot-on and spectacular.  Too bad she couldn't have turned that stellar performance into a movie career because as far as I know, she did a couple movies but did not have a hit after that.  I know Timothy Hutton won as Best Supporting Actor and Judd Hirsch was nominated but I'm surprised Donald Sutherland's underplayed but compelling performance didn't receive a nod.

If Lucy had been 15 years (or so) younger, she could have done "OP" when she still had the acting chops (and relative youth)  to do something contrary to her "lucy" character, as evidenced in "Critic's Choice", not a great movie but a complete departure for Lucy.  Yes, it was a comedy....I guess.  It wasn't particularly funny, more an inside Broadway theater joke.  Their attempts at interjecting humor in the Bob Hope-only scenes were excruciating.  Lucy is given virtually no comedy to do but saves the movie from being a total stinker. 

I watched "Ordinary People" last night.  What a tear-jerker!  I don't know who won the Best Actress Oscar that year, but Mary should have. Her portrayal was spot-on and spectacular.  Too bad she couldn't have turned that stellar performance into a movie career because as far as I know, she did a couple movies but did not have a hit after that.  I know Timothy Hutton won as Best Supporting Actor and Judd Hirsch was nominated but I'm surprised Donald Sutherland's underplayed but compelling performance didn't receive a nod.

If Lucy had been 15 years (or so) younger, she could have done "OP" when she still had the acting chops (and relative youth)  to do something contrary to her "lucy" character, as evidenced in "Critic's Choice", not a great movie but a complete departure for Lucy.  Yes, it was a comedy....I guess.  It wasn't particularly funny, more an inside Broadway theater joke.  Their attempts at interjecting humor in the Bob Hope-only scenes were excruciating.  Lucy is given virtually no comedy to do but saves the movie from being a total stinker. 

Winner:  Sissy Spacek (Coal Miner's Daughter)

Nominees:

Ellen Burstyn (Resurrection)
Goldie Hawn (Private Benjamin)
Mary Tyler Moore (Ordinary People)
Gena Rowlands (Gloria)
  • Like 1

Winner:  Sissy Spacek (Coal Miner's Daughter)

Nominees:

Ellen Burstyn (Resurrection)
Goldie Hawn (Private Benjamin)
Mary Tyler Moore (Ordinary People)
Gena Rowlands (Gloria)

Worthy opponents all (only one I think I've never seen is Resurrection but Burstyn is usually exemplary!) so this was a tough year; at least Mary was in good company! :blink:

I completely agree. Mary is sublime. I always thought she was excellent in the role, but seeing her do it on the big screen a couple of weeks ago was something else again. She was pitch perfect.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just found out I'm not subscribed to this channel. Oh well.

You didn't miss much. It was essentially a long Entertainment Tonight profile. There were good sit down interviews with Gavin, Carl, and Ed. The rest of the interviewees were taken from red carpet events in the past few months. The show skipped around and repeated a lot. I knew it wasn't going to be great when the narrator said Mary's Dick Van Dyke Show character was "Laura Pee-trie."

• Like 1