May 19: Colorized The Dancing Star/Harpo Marx on CBS!

HarryCarter

CBS will air another I Love Lucy Superstar Special on Friday, May 19 at 9:00pm EST. The episodes will be The Dancing Star and Harpo Marx.

CBS to Present THE NEW I LOVE LUCY SUPERSTAR SPECIAL This May

<

CBS to Present THE NEW I LOVE LUCY SUPERSTAR SPECIAL This MayLegendary comedian Harpo Marx and motion picture star Van Johnson are the guests on THE NEW I LOVE LUCY SUPERSTAR SPECIAL, a new one-hour special featuring two colorized back-to-back episodes of the 1950s series, to be broadcast Friday, May 19 (9:00-10:00PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The two episodes, "The Dancing Star," featuring Van Johnson, and "Harpo Marx," with comedian Harpo Marx, are newly colorized with a nod to the 1950s period in which they were filmed. This is similar to episodes presented in "I Love Lucy" specials on the Network the past few spring and holiday seasons. Previously only shown in two installments, the episodes tell a continuous story and will be presented as one hour for the first time. As with the previous specials, the main titles and end credits are seamlessly combined into one set at the beginning and end of the hour.

"I Love Lucy" stars Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz as Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, and Vivian Vance and William Frawley as the Ricardos' best friends, Fred and Ethel Mertz. Doris Singleton appears in both episodes as Lucy's friend, Caroline Appleby.

"The Dancing Star" finds Lucy caught in a fib: while visiting Hollywood, she bragged to her friends back in New York that she has been "rubbing elbows" with many big-name movie stars. Now Caroline Appleby, a longtime girlfriend - but also something of a rival - is stopping in Los Angeles on her way to Hawaii, and she would like to meet some of Lucy's new celebrity friends. Van Johnson is appearing in the hotel nightclub, and, even though they have never met, Lucy hopes he can help solve her problem.

In "Harpo Marx," Caroline delays her departure for Hawaii in order to meet more of Lucy's movie star friends. Knowing Caroline is extremely nearsighted without her glasses, Lucy and Ethel conspire to hide her spectacles just long enough for Lucy to "visit," disguised to resemble such stars as Clark Gable, Jimmy Durante, and Harpo Marx. The real Harpo, meanwhile, is entertaining at a Woman's Club benefit at the hotel, and, unaware of Lucy's chicanery, Ricky asks Harpo to drop in and surprise his wife. It's Harpo who is in for a surprise!

"The Dancing Star" and "Harpo Marx" originally aired May 2 and 9, 1955, respectively, and became instant classics. "The Dancing Star" was included in CBS's 1958 summer series, "The Top Ten Lucy Shows," as selected by a panel of 155 newspaper TV critics and columnists.

"I Love Lucy" aired on CBS from Oct. 15, 1951 until June 24, 1957. It was voted "the best TV show of all time" in a 2012 viewer poll conducted by People magazine and ABC News.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/CBS-to-Present-THE-NEW-I-LOVE-LUCY-SUPERSTAR-SPECIAL-This-May-20170425

I'm thrilled that millions will get to see what is perhaps Lucy's greatest performance in The Dancing Star.

• Like 1

I was beginning to wonder if there was going to be a Superstar Special this year with the announcement being this late. I'm thrilled to see that this tradition is still up and running.

As for this year's selections they are great ones but I was hoping for the Cornel Wilde episode and/or The Tour one. Lucille Ball and especially Vivian Vance made stunning performances in both episodes. Not to mention there are several outdoor sights in "The Tour". Maybe we'll see those next year.

• Like 1

I was beginning to wonder if there was going to be a Superstar Special this year with the announcement being this late. I'm thrilled to see that this tradition is still up and running.

As for this year's selections they are great ones but I was hoping for the Cornel Wilde episode and/or The Tour one. Lucille Ball and especially Vivian Vance made stunning performances in both episodes. Not to mention there are several outdoor sights in "The Tour". Maybe we'll see those next year.

There are still a few viable episodes for future Superstar airings should they continue.

The Fashion Show

The Star Upstairs

In Palm Springs

The Tour

And if you want to take Hollywood out of the mix:

Lucy & Bob Hope

Lucy Meets Orson Wells

Plus any of the hour longs.

• Like 1

There are still a few viable episodes for future Superstar airings should they continue.

The Fashion Show

The Star Upstairs

In Palm Springs

The Tour

Lucy & Bob Hope

Lucy Meets Orson Wells

Raises Chickens/Does The Tango!
  • Like 1

Raises Chickens/Does The Tango!

Good episodes, but not for the Superstar banner. I mean, I know Mary Jane Croft's a superstar to us, but non guest-star shows would need a different labeling.

I'm sure once the celebrity episodes run their course they'll find a new theme, as I agree some of the Connecticut shows would be great choices. The I Love Lucy Suburban Jamboree :D

The Fashion Show

The Star Upstairs

In Palm Springs

The Tour

Lucy & Bob Hope

Lucy Meets Orson Wells

Although the following episodes are not "Superstar" material they do; however, relate to the California Trip:

"California, Here We Come!"

"The First Stop"

"Tennessee Bound"

"Ethel's Hometown"

All four would be fun to see in color as well.  

Once the Hollywood/Superstar theme runs its course, they should do a Mother's Day Special featuring colorized versions of "Lucy Is Enciente" and "Lucy Goes to the Hospital". I am kind of surprised these two haven't received the colorized treatment yet knowing that they are the highlights of the highly-favored pregnancy shows not to mention being favorites of both Lucy's and Desi's.

I agree.  If I had to pick one episode to show how great Lucille Ball was, it would be this one. 

CBS will air another I Love Lucy Superstar Special on Friday, May 19 at 9:00pm EST. The episodes will be The Dancing Star and Harpo Marx.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/CBS-to-Present-THE-NEW-I-LOVE-LUCY-SUPERSTAR-SPECIAL-This-May-20170425

I'm thrilled that millions will get to see what is perhaps Lucy's greatest performance in The Dancing Star.

Lucy's performance in Dancing Star should be picked apart and taught to acting students. From the hilarious poolside scene to the way she transforms during her performance with Van.

One moment (of many) from this episode that has always stuck with me is when Lucy and Ethel are discussing Carolyn's impending visit. Lucy is on edge and kind of pacing around the apartment and at one point she walks out onto the balcony and says the line "She'll blab this all over New York!" Lucy does a hand motion at this point that I found very genuine and very charming. For some reason I've never forgotten it.

• Like 1

Lucy's performance in Dancing Star should be picked apart and taught to acting students. From the hilarious poolside scene to the way she transforms during her performance with Van.

One moment (of many) from this episode that has always stuck with me is when Lucy and Ethel are discussing Carolyn's impending visit. Lucy is on edge and kind of pacing around the apartment and at one point she walks out onto the balcony and says the line "She'll blab this all over New York!" Lucy does a hand motion at this point that I found very genuine and very charming. For some reason I've never forgotten it.

Perhaps because it's so natural and "in the moment", there's no "acting" (that you would see as obvious from someone else) there, it seems totally "organic" for lack of a better word.

One could also point out the scene in which she not only "covers" her own breaking down laughing -- knowing her blocking and camera angles so well that if she turned far enough away, as she ultimately does, that you wouldn't catch her in the act of laughing at her own line-blowing screw up -- which Desi also played off brilliantly, BTW -- where "lesser" folks would have probably doubled over and waited for the director to yell "Cut! Go again!" Brilliance in action!! :HALKING:

• 2 weeks later...

I was so happy to find this website/message board. I have a night-time habit that is seldom not met. I end up turning on an I Love Lucy dvd as my comfort tv to fall asleep to. I know the episodes so well, I end up closing my eyes and visualize the episode as I listen and it plays out in my head. My go-to dvd for months has been the final dvd of the final season of I L L. It has made me aware that the move to the suburbs energized the show so wonderfully. Any or all of the episodes leading up to and moving to and adjusting to the suburban life would be great candidates for colorizing. 

• Like 1

The Fashion Show

The Star Upstairs

In Palm Springs

The Tour

Lucy & Bob Hope

Lucy Meets Orson Wells

Do they have to be "Superstar" driven?? Many of my favorite episodes are what I think you referred to on another thread as "bottle" episodes, those primarily featuring the main cast and on the "regular" house/nightclub set(s).  

I do like the idea of finally seeing the Connecticut-based hour-long episodes in color though, given it's the most "realistic" and best-designed of all the sets of the series. :blink:

Perhaps because it's so natural and "in the moment", there's no "acting" (that you would see as obvious from someone else) there, it seems totally "organic" for lack of a better word.

One could also point out the scene in which she not only "covers" her own breaking down laughing -- knowing her blocking and camera angles so well that if she turned far enough away, as she ultimately does, that you wouldn't catch her in the act of laughing at her own line-blowing screw up -- which Desi also played off brilliantly, BTW -- where "lesser" folks would have probably doubled over and waited for the director to yell "Cut! Go again!" Brilliance in action!! :HALKING:

Welcome to the Lounge!

Do they have to be "Superstar" driven?? Many of my favorite episodes are what I think you referred to on another thread as "bottle" episodes, those primarily featuring the main cast and on the "regular" house/nightclub set(s).  

I do like the idea of finally seeing the Connecticut-based hour-long episodes in color though, given it's the most "realistic" and best-designed of all the sets of the series. :blink:

No, of course they don't have to be guest star driven. I was just offering up viable episodes that could feature under the current Superstar label. Undoubtedly they could create a new theme and select different episodes for that.

You all brought back so many memories of this wonderful episode.  I was tempted to get out my DVD and re-watch but will wait until the Friday special.  

My favorite little scene is Ricky's reaction when a phone call comes in from Van, asking for Lucy, Desi's jaw-dropped reaction as he hands the phone to Lucy and her proud-as-peacock walk to the phone, culminating in "I'm off to rehearsal" as she does one more graceful take as she goes out the door. 

PLUS Lucy's sudden stage-fright and the VERY gradual way she finally loosens up during the song-and-dance.   Priceless. 

And I'll chime in: I'm SO glad they left "vances with Dan" in, plus the shoulder reveal of Lucy laughing at her own mistake and Desi's perfectly ad-libbed cover-up.  It adds loads to the charm of this magical episode.

I certainly like "Harpo Marx" but "Dancing Star" is far and away, the more superior episode. 

• Like 1

I'd rather see The Stars Upstairs too but either ways I'm glad another special is here. I was beginning to think there wasn't any.