May 19: Colorized The Dancing Star/Harpo Marx on CBS!

HarryCarter

Again, I'm hoping from CBS's point of view that sales revenue from advertisers far outweighs the cost of colorizing an hour of programming they already own, much more than anything else they would put on and that'll keep 'em coming.  

If they just do "Operetta" and "Don Loper" and maybe Danny and Talulah, I'll be satisfied.  And "Charm School".

Just a heads up: For those who may have missed this latest 'stravaganzas, the special is currently available via CBS Access streaming service.*

CBS Access:

Nearly every network prime time show is available on demand through Hulu. However, they lack the current seasons of shows airing on CBS. Instead, CBS decided to strike out on their own and offer their own streaming service. CBS All Access provides not only a means to watch those shows one day after airing, but also thousands of episodes of season’s pasts, and much more.

CBS All access works like most other streaming services. You simply sign up for their free trial and you can stream their content to various mobile and TV streaming devices.

https://www.cbs.com/all-access/?cbsclick=Wc3XM5UdbzLp2SUUIkTry1v8UkhW-ZxeI0DOzo0&vndid=198939&clickid=198939&sharedid=&ftag=AAM98bbc2a&utm_source=affiliate

*FREE TRIAL for those not interested in becoming a subscriber! :HALKING:

• Like 1

"Dancing Star" is such a great episode from start to finish it's easy to overlook the first scene with Lucy and Van by the pool, expertly timed bits by both Lucy and Van.  

While I Love Lucy did not get a Best Comedy Emmy nomination this year (1955), AT LEAST Lucy won her 2nd as Best Actress is a Sitcom (or whatever the category was called that year).   Too bad the writers couldn't have gotten one.  Except for the tail-end of Hollywood, all of these gems were cranked out by Bob, Madelyn and Jess.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hey!  Aren't we going to get a May 2018 2-episode colorized treat?

If they haven't decided yet, I vote for "Operetta" and "Million Dollar Idea".   I'm thinking of episodes that would appeal to "the masses", rather than my favorites.  I don't know why CBS wouldn't continue doing them.  The cost is all in the colorization since CBS owns the series outright.  An "I Love Lucy" special doesn't have to get great ratings to turn a profit for CBS. 

They should consider doing one of the two stellar hour shows "Celebrity Next Door" or "Makes Room for Danny".  I prefer "Danny" but maybe Talullah would play better to 2018 audiences.  Danny has probably fallen out of the public consciousness but has Talullah?  She's probably better known for this episode than anything else she did.  Danny was once a TV powerhouse, stopping his own show in 1964 (when it was still a ratings winner) and had ownership in "Andy Griffith" "Gomer Pyle" and "I Spy".  Between 1964 and 1967 he did specials for NBC and had his own anthology series in 67-68 scheduled opposite (and losing to) his own "Andy Griffith Show".  "The Danny Thomas Hour" was not renewed.  Present day Danny fans shouldn't feel too bad since he's in good company.  I overheard a 30-ish flight attendant at the Bob Hope/Burbank Airport say "So who IS Bob Hope?"

• Like 1