Adam West dies at 88

Brock

Very sad news, but what a great legacy he leaves us.

Family Guy won't be the same :(

I always felt it was "nice" of the Family Guy creators to give Adam some work.  On a pretty regular basis when they didn't need to.  He probably hadn't had a slew of offers in the last years. 

I'm always surprised to discover people's actual ages but if he was 88, that means he was 38 to 40 during "Batman"'s short but high-profile run, which makes sense.   "Batman"'s subtle humor went over my head as a kid, and it still does. 

I always felt it was "nice" of the Family Guy creators to give Adam some work.  On a pretty regular basis when they didn't need to.  He probably hadn't had a slew of offers in the last years. 

I'm always surprised to discover people's actual ages but if he was 88, that means he was 38 to 40 during "Batman"'s short but high-profile run, which makes sense.   "Batman"'s subtle humor went over my head as a kid, and it still does. 

Adam West had a very prolific career doing voice work on television, but I don't think his movie career (to the extent he had one) ever recovered after The Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood.  That movie may also have put the kibosh on any movie career aspirations for Phil Silvers and Richard Deacon.  (Xaviera Hollander got what she wanted, though.)  I think that may be the only non-television role I ever saw Adam West in. 

• Like 1

Adam West had a very prolific career doing voice work on television, but I don't think his movie career (to the extent he had one) ever recovered after The Happy Hooker Goes Hollywood.  That movie may also have put the kibosh on any movie career aspirations for Phil Silvers and Richard Deacon.  (Xaviera Hollander got what she wanted, though.)  I think that may be the only non-television role I ever saw Adam West in. 

I love this on so many levels but especially for the remark, "Xaviera Hollander got what she wanted, though." as ...well, I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to but given the type of "film" it was, my mind definitely went....there. 

Please feel free to clarify, even if I'm way off! :blink:

I love this on so many levels but especially for the remark, "Xaviera Hollander got what she wanted, though." as ...well, I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to but given the type of "film" it was, my mind definitely went....there. 

Please feel free to clarify, even if I'm way off! :blink:

:HALKING:  Sorry, I had no hidden meaning there.  I should have been more clear.  What I meant was, after giving up her "profession" and being kicked out of the United States, Xaviera Hollander went on to make a lot of money (I presume) from her books and from these movies about her life as a prostitute, which also led to a long-running advice column in Penthouse Magazine.  As for these actors like Adam West who played in her movies (and lots of them were very well known), I think the closest any of them got to Xaviera Hollander was only working with the actresses who portrayed her (Lynne Redgrave, Joey Heatherton, and some other actress I had never heard of) as Hollander herself was out of the country.

This person here claims her net worth is $36.8 million.  https://networthroll.com/blog4/xaviera-devries-net-worth/

So that's what I meant by she "got what she wanted."  I don't know how accurate that figure is, but my guess is she made a whole lot more money in her post-hooking days than she would have if she had spent those years still boinking strange men and being a madam.