"The Long Long Trailer" is on today

• 2 weeks later...

A new New York revival theater, The Metrograph, played The Long, Long Trailer yesterday and, luckily, I found out about it just in time. I've always liked the movie, but it was never one of my favorite Lucy films. For me, it's just a bit to similar to I Love Lucy and without the Lucy writers and the Mertzes, it pales in comparison. I don't make comparisons like that with any of Lucy's other work.

I actually think this is more Desi's movie than Lucy's. Lucy has her big physical comedy moments like cooking dinner in the trailer and trying to get into the crooked bed, but most of the comedy throughout the movie is from Desi. Jess Oppenheimer never would have allowed that. But Desi is terrific in the movie and I'm glad he got such a showcase.

There were only 10 people at the screening. However, it was a Monday afternoon and they didn't seem to publicize this. It was great to see the movie on the big screen. Lucy and Desi both looked terrific. I was happy that the movie got big laughs from the small audience.

• Like 1

A new New York revival theater, The Metrograph, played The Long, Long Trailer yesterday and, luckily, I found out about it just in time. I've always liked the movie, but it was never one of my favorite Lucy films. For me, it's just a bit to similar to I Love Lucy and without the Lucy writers and the Mertzes, it pales in comparison. I don't make comparisons like that with any of Lucy's other work.

I actually think this is more Desi's movie than Lucy's. Lucy has her big physical comedy moments like cooking dinner in the trailer and trying to get into the crooked bed, but most of the comedy throughout the movie is from Desi. Jess Oppenheimer never would have allowed that. But Desi is terrific in the movie and I'm glad he got such a showcase.

There were only 10 people at the screening. However, it was a Monday afternoon and they didn't seem to publicize this. It was great to see the movie on the big screen. Lucy and Desi both looked terrific. I was happy that the movie got big laughs from the small audience.

Yes, TLLT seems to be a favorite even amongst the non-Lucy crowd.  I think Forever Darling is just as good if not better and can't understand why it's always referred to as such a let-down.  It didn't premiere in one of the big theaters in New York because the distributor didn't think it was good enough?  That's what I read somewhere.  Also "maybe Lucy and Desi had passed their peak in popularity".   Hardly, they were still #1 on TV and would remain so for several years. 

My favorite moment in TLLT is at the end.   Desi has finally tracked her down and they have that cold conversation, then Desi leaves.  Lucy stands there for a moment and it hits her all of a sudden: no , she's not going to throw it all away and rushes out in the rain in front of Desi's car.  

It's those few moments in the trailer after Desi leaves that really impress me. 

My favorite moment in TLLT is at the end. Desi has finally tracked her down and they have that cold conversation, then Desi leaves. Lucy stands there for a moment and it hits her all of a sudden: no , she's not going to throw it all away and rushes out in the rain in front of Desi's car.

It's those few moments in the trailer after Desi leaves that really impress me.

That's some REAL acting. But yes, that bit showed she was more than a comedian but a real actress.

• Like 1