Stuff Lucy Ate.

Luvsbway

Ok, so this could be a fun discussion but I’m also looking for something specific too.

What are the things you’ve come across that Lucy ate that stand out to you? For example her terrible lemonade that I think has been mentioned in more than one book. Her love of frozen margaritas in the 80s and how she called them slushies.

I read in a clipping from the 40s she returned to a diner in Philadelphia 3 times during a stay there so she could order scrapple. It’s a PA thing.

I recall reading somewhere that in the 40s she made some sort of appetizer that involved Ritz crackers and strawberry jam, or something like this. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I thought for Lucy’s birthday during the festival it might be fun to whip up some Lucy related food to celebrate.

In the appendix of Lee Tannen's book there's a list of some of her favorite foods. There's jello with mayo and a cherry, tapioca pudding, etc...Spam is also listed which ties in with scrapple, I guess. She was a brave woman, I've lived in PA my whole life and have yet to try scrapple.

"Leftovers" from pork that is fried. It smells good, but I can't bring myself to eat it. I have no issues with hot dogs though, go figure. Anyway, I think it's a cool idea to have a "From the Kitchen of Miss Ball" food tasting lol.

and her famously now politically incorrect Chinese food dish.

:marionstrong:

I can't understand why anyone would butterfly a steak -- that being said, however, I can't understand many of Miss Ball's culinary delights.

She was also a master at "expanded" butter.

• Like 1

Ok, so this could be a fun discussion but I’m also looking for something specific too.

What are the things you’ve come across that Lucy ate that stand out to you? For example her terrible lemonade that I think has been mentioned in more than one book. Her love of frozen margaritas in the 80s and how she called them slushies.

I read in a clipping from the 40s she returned to a diner in Philadelphia 3 times during a stay there so she could order scrapple. It’s a PA thing.

I recall reading somewhere that in the 40s she made some sort of appetizer that involved Ritz crackers and strawberry jam, or something like this. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I thought for Lucy’s birthday during the festival it might be fun to whip up some Lucy related food to celebrate.

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

In the appendix of Lee Tannen's book there's a list of some of her favorite foods. There's jello with mayo and a cherry, tapioca pudding, etc...Spam is also listed which ties in with scrapple, I guess. She was a brave woman, I've lived in PA my whole life and have yet to try scrapple.

These THINGS I grew up with; but, have not heard of/eaten in MANY years; tapioca pudding, homemade, I had AT LEAST once a week; don't know if I could choke it down again; jello, ditto; mayo, NEVER;  SPAM, NEVER!!!!;  But, in those days, those sorts of thing(s) were everyday diet things......donchano!!! ;) 

:marionstrong:

I can't understand why anyone would butterfly a steak -- that being said, however, I can't understand many of Miss Ball's culinary delights.

She was also a master at "expanded" butter.

Butterflying, with chicken or beef, basically just facilitates it cooking quicker, more evenly.  They used to do this more often than not "back in the day" when I worked in a steakhouse-type restaurant. :peachonthebeach:

Well then. Cook this up with a marathon of Lucy as the Chinese gardner, the birthday dinner in Here's Lucy and a trip to the laundry in Here's Lucy and you're covered in offending the Chinesse.

...and don't forget "Choo Choo" as portrayed in Lucy Moves to NBC and the memorably cringe-worthy lines, "How he know she praying" ("playing", as in backgammon, but pronounced with the "l" sounding like an "r") and "He no risten (for "listen")!!

Thank you, Bob O'Brien! :lucywow:

• Like 1

My parents like to talk about how when I was little, my grandma would occasionally ask me if I wanted to eat some "Chinkee Chinkee Chinese" for dinner. The freezer in her garage was also well-stocked with "Eskimo Pies" for when little kids came over. Hey, she was born in 1916- you can't blame her for THAT!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...