Lucy letters, telegrams, etc...

Luvsbway

Desi wrote this letter to himself on April 20, 1953. I had heard about this letter but never thought I’d ever see it, let alone hold it in my hands. I could see him writing something like this in the late 50s, but this was not too long after the birth of their son, in what I thought was a very happy time for them.

“I’ve come to the terrible realization that my wife doesn’t love me. She loves her children, her mother, her family (;) as far as I’m concerned if I behave well, (I) am a nice guy to have around—but there’s no love. I’ve put with a million things that she has done to me in the past thirteen years because I love her, many of these things I didn’t like (,) they made me unhappy (,) she should not have done them, but I forgave her in my mind. I don’t think about them. Lucy is not that way, she can’t forgive me anything, and the reason why she can’t forgive me anything is because she really doesn’t love me.

I have a sick feeling in my stomach. I’ve had this feeling before—during the Cuban revolution, during Lucy’s commie accusation and now—The other two times there was something you could fight, but you can’t fight this—the woman does not love me.” 

dlet1.jpg

dlet2.jpg

On 9/6/2017 at 2:51 PM, Luvsbway said:

Desi wrote this letter to himself on April 20, 1953. I had heard about this letter but never thought I’d ever see it, let alone hold it in my hands. I could see him writing something like this in the late 50s, but this was not too long after the birth of their son, in what I thought was a very happy time for them.

“I’ve come to the terrible realization that my wife doesn’t love me. She loves her children, her mother, her family (;) as far as I’m concerned if I behave well, (I) am a nice guy to have around—but there’s no love. I’ve put with a million things that she has done to me in the past thirteen years because I love her, many of these things I didn’t like (,) they made me unhappy (,) she should not have done them, but I forgave her in my mind. I don’t think about them. Lucy is not that way, she can’t forgive me anything, and the reason why she can’t forgive me anything is because she really doesn’t love me.

I have a sick feeling in my stomach. I’ve had this feeling before—during the Cuban revolution, during Lucy’s commie accusation and now—The other two times there was something you could fight, but you can’t fight this—the woman does not love me.” 

dlet1.jpg

dlet2.jpg

Wow!  April 1953???  Just three months after Desi Jr. was born and this is what he was feeling?  This is a shocker.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2017 at 6:52 PM, Luvsbway said:

This is a letter from Bing Crosby to Desi about his recent bad behavior at a club in Las Cruces Mexico.  Seems like things hadn't gotten any better in 1966.

bing.jpg

Are there any more details about this particular incident? And I agree -- a reply would be quite interesting.

54 minutes ago, Brock said:

Are there any more details about this particular incident? And I agree -- a reply would be quite interesting.

Not that I've found. I did Google this club and found an article on how this area of Mexico was going to take off as a vacation destination but never really did. Seems like Bing and Desi were really the only celebs there.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/16/2017 at 4:08 PM, HarryCarter said:

The reference to "Pipe Night" in New York makes me think that George was extending an invitation to Lucy to be honored by the Players Club, a well known entertainment social club in New York. I'm not sure who George is. I'm very curious. 

My guess would be legendary Broadway producer director George Abbott, with whom so many "greats" either got their start or he helped by casting them in one of his many hit plays.  If memory serves, didn't he do "Too Many Girls"?? :HALKING: