Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Luvsbway

Lucy letters, telegrams, etc...

Recommended Posts

Desi wrote this letter to himself on April 20, 1953. I had heard about this letter but never thought I’d ever see it, let alone hold it in my hands. I could see him writing something like this in the late 50s, but this was not too long after the birth of their son, in what I thought was a very happy time for them.

“I’ve come to the terrible realization that my wife doesn’t love me. She loves her children, her mother, her family (;) as far as I’m concerned if I behave well, (I) am a nice guy to have around—but there’s no love. I’ve put with a million things that she has done to me in the past thirteen years because I love her, many of these things I didn’t like (,) they made me unhappy (,) she should not have done them, but I forgave her in my mind. I don’t think about them. Lucy is not that way, she can’t forgive me anything, and the reason why she can’t forgive me anything is because she really doesn’t love me.

I have a sick feeling in my stomach. I’ve had this feeling before—during the Cuban revolution, during Lucy’s commie accusation and now—The other two times there was something you could fight, but you can’t fight this—the woman does not love me.” 

 

dlet1.jpg

 

dlet2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could this possibly be from 1954? Lucy's brush with the Red Scare wasn't made public until September 1953. Either way it's heartbreaking that these feelings already existed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had thought of that, but didn't she testify in 1952? So it was still something they were going through, but it had not blown up in the press yet. At least that's what I'm thinking. Paperwork said 53' but I've seen paperwork be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did some quick research and her first testimony was on April 3, 1952, then the second one was nearly a year and a half later on September 4, 1953. So I guess things could have still been brewing in April '53.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2017 at 2:51 PM, Luvsbway said:

Desi wrote this letter to himself on April 20, 1953. I had heard about this letter but never thought I’d ever see it, let alone hold it in my hands. I could see him writing something like this in the late 50s, but this was not too long after the birth of their son, in what I thought was a very happy time for them.

“I’ve come to the terrible realization that my wife doesn’t love me. She loves her children, her mother, her family (;) as far as I’m concerned if I behave well, (I) am a nice guy to have around—but there’s no love. I’ve put with a million things that she has done to me in the past thirteen years because I love her, many of these things I didn’t like (,) they made me unhappy (,) she should not have done them, but I forgave her in my mind. I don’t think about them. Lucy is not that way, she can’t forgive me anything, and the reason why she can’t forgive me anything is because she really doesn’t love me.

I have a sick feeling in my stomach. I’ve had this feeling before—during the Cuban revolution, during Lucy’s commie accusation and now—The other two times there was something you could fight, but you can’t fight this—the woman does not love me.” 

 

dlet1.jpg

 

dlet2.jpg

Wow!  April 1953???  Just three months after Desi Jr. was born and this is what he was feeling?  This is a shocker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

I love seeing Lucy's schedule!

I do too. It's that daily stuff that I find so fscinating. This is just how her life ran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a letter from Bing Crosby to Desi about his recent bad behavior at a club in Las Cruces Mexico.  Seems like things hadn't gotten any better in 1966.

 

bing.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2017 at 6:52 PM, Luvsbway said:

This is a letter from Bing Crosby to Desi about his recent bad behavior at a club in Las Cruces Mexico.  Seems like things hadn't gotten any better in 1966.

 

bing.jpg

Are there any more details about this particular incident? And I agree -- a reply would be quite interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Brock said:

Are there any more details about this particular incident? And I agree -- a reply would be quite interesting.

Not that I've found. I did Google this club and found an article on how this area of Mexico was going to take off as a vacation destination but never really did. Seems like Bing and Desi were really the only celebs there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reference to "Pipe Night" in New York makes me think that George was extending an invitation to Lucy to be honored by the Players Club, a well known entertainment social club in New York. I'm not sure who George is. I'm very curious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...