What is the last Lucille Ball movie you've watched.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd kill to see Without Love. I really need to get my hands on the Kate Hepburn box set it's available in.

I watched Stage Door this morning. Lucy seems very at ease and natural, sort of makes me wonder how much of the character is really just her. I wish this movie were more well known, its dialogue is fabulous.

The director had the actresses WING IT and then wrote down their dialogue wanting a normal feel to their conversations, this scared the bejesus out of Hepburn who complained to hinm about it. That's the reason the dialogue seems so natural.

I watched "Mame" for the 15th time. I never get tired of this film. It is truly a joyful and jubilant movie musical. Lucy gives one of her best screen performances. She was worthy of an Oscar nomination. Go figure.

She surely was, but at the end of her career, she did not get the support that Betty White and other older performers get today, she was ridiculed for the soft focus filming trying to make her look younger, compared to a transvestite for her clothes in the film and made fun of for her lack of singing skills at this point of her life when many other aged performers had attemped this before, Rex Harrison and Hermione Ginguld (sp) come to mind. fact is she never looked better on film and surely never had such a great wardrobe, the people behind the film were all top notch although she would have benefited from a better director, like George Cukor who was slated to direct but her skiing accident put the kibosh on that, as he had to move on to another project when filming was delayed for her leg to heal. She danced after breaking her leg, sang instead of being dubbed, they could have added some comedic bits to liven the production, the skaking routine being her only opportunity to show off her comic genius. But she had this terrific SCORE, lavish production, great co stars and was BIGGER THAN LIFE on screen, same as in real life and i have seen it more often than any other Lucy film because it IS entertaining and we're seeing her at her best in a medium that never quite knew what to do with her.

I watched the first half of The Long Long Trailer. I DVR'd it off of TCM since my copy is VHS and I got rid of my VCR (not my tape though :lol: ).

Good for you, isn't it a terrific movie? I was recording the two movies that preceeded it so i left the dvd run and got it at the end even though i have like seventeen copies of it everywhere, LOL! I really enjoyed seeing it again, great great movie. Biggest hit for MGM that year and even topping Father of the Bride which got Desi an extra 50 thousand bucks in salary on top of their quarter million.

• 2 weeks later...

I came home after a much needed vacation to find the Katharine Hepburn 100th Anniversary boxed set I had ordered laying on my bed (thanks, mom!). Needless to say the first thing I popped in was Without Love. I thought it was a charming movie, a great vehicle for Hepburn and Tracy. I was a little surprised to see that Lucy's part was so small, especially considering that she was given third billing. However, she really packed a punch with what she had to work with, delivering those lines with great spit-fire confidence and sass. She sort of reminded me of Ruth Hussy's character in The Philadelphia Story, though this character gets affirmative resolution. I was especially glad that her character didn't compete with Kate for Spence, or inadvertently make Spence fall for her or any messy thing like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past week I watched Mame, The Big Street and Dance, Girl, Dance. Loved Mame, as always. Something about The Big Street just never sits too well with me, I want Henry Fonda to throw Lucy out the majority of the time. And I will forever love Dance, Girl, Dance because Lucy's character's name is Bubbles for the first half.

Over the past week I watched Mame, The Big Street and Dance, Girl, Dance. Loved Mame, as always. Something about The Big Street just never sits too well with me, I want Henry Fonda to throw Lucy out the majority of the time. And I will forever love Dance, Girl, Dance because Lucy's character's name is Bubbles for the first half.

The Big Street is a bit too theatrical for most people, it's like watching a Broadway show, a play that was filmed. Even the character's names are weird.

Oh, sure. When I criticize it, all of a sudden it becomes RKO's best film right behind Citizen Kane. :lol: !!!!

LOL! Those negative comments were meant to make him fell better about NOT liking it, but there's no denying Lucy's performance was Oscar worthy. Big Street is not fit to touch Kane's burnoose. But Lucy's performance in it is just excellent, she makes you want to hate her, love her, feel sorry for her, understand her, there's a richness in that character that's just endless.

What bothers me most about the film is Henry Fonda's unending saint-like behavior. I want something far less saccharine than the character we get, I just can't it as is. I think that's where the movie bothers me, it loses some sort of truth because of it. I don't think you could ask Lucy for any more, honestly. The scene at the end where she makes her big transition is wonderful.

What bothers me most about the film is Henry Fonda's unending saint-like behavior. I want something far less saccharine than the character we get, I just can't it as is. I think that's where the movie bothers me, it loses some sort of truth because of it. I don't think you could ask Lucy for any more, honestly. The scene at the end where she makes her big transition is wonderful.

AND, she NEVER looked more beautiful on screen, that scene at the end i have played a thousand times and it gets me every single time, just flawless and incredibly breathtakingly beautiful. As for Hank, just to give you an insight into his great cinematic taste, he was the one who told Lucy as she tried to move her legs in bed, OH YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DO IT THAT WAY ARE YOU? Lucy said, HOW CAN YOU PLAY IT AFTER THAT COMMENT?

• 5 months later...

Watched, for the first time, The Next Time I Marry. Its always a joy to see young Lucy, and she's just beautiful here. The movie is a bit odd, the scene where she sat the trailer on fire was a bit...traumatizing, I guess. I really liked the ending though, something silly about it that charmed me, reminded me of It Happened One Night.

Watched, for the first time, The Next Time I Marry. Its always a joy to see young Lucy, and she's just beautiful here. The movie is a bit odd, the scene where she sat the trailer on fire was a bit...traumatizing, I guess. I really liked the ending though, something silly about it that charmed me, reminded me of It Happened One Night.

Traumatizing huh? Whatever you do, don't watch Gone with the wind, the whole city of Atlanta goes down in flames. I watched Fuller Brush Girl, it's still funny as hell.

Traumatizing huh? Whatever you do, don't watch Gone with the wind, the whole city of Atlanta goes down in flames. I watched Fuller Brush Girl, it's still funny as hell.

LMAO. Hush you! :lucythrill:

It was traumatizing in that 1) she was stupid enough to set it on fire knowing she was locked in and 2) once he realized it was on fire he took his good old time in putting it out.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...