What is the last Lucille Ball movie you've watched.

• 2 months later...

I screwed that up, as usual.  The ones I recorded off of TCM were the good ones.  The so so RKO ones I had all of them but lost them, Beta gave way to VHS which gave way to DVD and I certainly was not going to get THOSE transferred as not many of them are worth watching.  Hey, I just thought of something, how come TCM never screens her BEST performance, The Big Street?  Wish Turner would release all her RKO ones in a boxed set as they did originally. 

I haven't pulled out Having Wonderful Time in a while. Gotta check that out and Lucy's NY accent that seems to come and go.

I always got a kick out of that too. I didn't know until recently that George Stevens directed reshoots of some of the scenes. Perhaps he told her to alter the accent. 

Love this movie. It's my favorite of their 4.

While I adore FOL, I wish it had been done in color.  For all its sophistication, it plays like a (good) TV sitcom.  But  I have to say that despite its flaws (too much Hope, not enough Ball) my fav is Critic's Choice".  It's one of her best movie performances.  She really plays a distinctive character and there's very little "Lucy". And it's in color.  She never looked better.

• Like 1

You are so right Neil.  I adore Critic's Choice AND Facts of Life, two of her all time best motion pictures.  She is so sophisticated in both, and no Lucy Ricardo in there at all.  I watched Ball of Fire, Manchurian Candidate and imagined if Lucy had gotten those roles, LOL!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I watched Beauty for the Asking tonight, and I think I finally pinpointed exactly why I like it, and enjoy watching Lucy in it. Almost the entire cast is so theatrical and stilted, but Lucy's performance is so natural, raw, honest and...modern by comparison.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I watched Beauty for the Asking tonight, and I think I finally pinpointed exactly why I like it, and enjoy watching Lucy in it. Almost the entire cast is so theatrical and stilted, but Lucy's performance is so natural, raw, honest and...modern by comparison.

Thoughts?

Of her OLD stuff, that's one of the better ones, i agree.

• Like 1

Thoughts?

I had gone years without seeing this movie until TCM recently ran it. I forgot why I liked it until you brought this up and I think it is because of her acting. How Lucy plays her character is in stark contrast to the roommate character. Man does that chick drive me nutts. I don’t really know what to call this acting style she does here other than quiet, reserved, pulled back.

You’re right she is way more grounded in reality and I think that is why I like it. No over the top dramatics when the guy marries someone else or when she is giving the new wife the makeover. Given the penchant for physical comedy in a few scenes we only get one brief bit Lucy gets with the photo shoot. It’s odd the little moments I like in this movie but the bit where she shakes the rice out of her hat and also the part where she falls onto the couch talking to Gwen, although I have spotted a continuity error here. I think once she becomes the head of her company she gives a sweet air of power but still softness to her character. Compare this with how different she plays the fashion mag chick in Lover Come Back. I think the closest I can compare her acting style here is You Can’t Fool Your Wife but take out the pitiful aspect of her performance in that.

• Like 1

I had gone years without seeing this movie until TCM recently ran it. I forgot why I liked it until you brought this up and I think it is because of her acting. How Lucy plays her character is in stark contrast to the roommate character. Man does that chick drive me nutts. I don’t really know what to call this acting style she does here other than quiet, reserved, pulled back.

You’re right she is way more grounded in reality and I think that is why I like it. No over the top dramatics when the guy marries someone else or when she is giving the new wife the makeover. Given the penchant for physical comedy in a few scenes we only get one brief bit Lucy gets with the photo shoot. It’s odd the little moments I like in this movie but the bit where she shakes the rice out of her hat and also the part where she falls onto the couch talking to Gwen, although I have spotted a continuity error here. I think once she becomes the head of her company she gives a sweet air of power but still softness to her character. Compare this with how different she plays the fashion mag chick in Lover Come Back. I think the closest I can compare her acting style here is You Can’t Fool Your Wife but take out the pitiful aspect of her performance in that.

Which begs the question, who played the roommate?

• 11 months later...

I watched Too Many Girls for the countless time and noticed something for the first time. During the big "Look Out!" number following the first football game, all of the actors are wearing different clothes than they were during the game a few second earlier. This is especially noticeable with Lucy and Van Johnson who are out in front. The actors are wearing these costumes in the big finale. These two major production numbers must have been filmed at the same time. I can maybe understand them not having Van and the rest of the extras change, but letting the continuity error with Lucy go through is really strange. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

You haven't watched Lured in 15 years? I think there was a time where I watched this about every 15 days. Ah, love this one so much I modeled the bottom of my wedding dress off the engagement dress Lucy wears. Still mad I never found the Eloise article with the dress in color I passed up on ebay 20 years ago.