Lucy on Dick Cavett Show

tropicjeff

I was watching the interview Lucy did with Dick Cavett on his show in 1974 for Mame. She didn't seem to be too interested in being there. They showed a couple of clips from I Love Lucy and Cavett was explaining why they could only show a minute long clip and that the were shown courtesy of Viacom. Lucy shrugged her shoulders with a look of "who cares."  She gave some very curt answers. I wanted to say "come on Lucy!" Anyhow, Cavett was gracious and she said she enjoyed it when it was all over. She definitely didn't want to act the happy guest and seemed really disinterested in the whole affair.

It's the one with the feather top right? I've watched that a few times and I see what you're saying. I think Lucy was just a moody person so she comes across different from interview to interview. You want moody there is a Merv from 81 she's really disinterested. I think this is her low key deamenor here. She answers the questions throughly, she gets into the topics she likes more, she's not combative. She's just not peppy like on some other interviews we've seen.

Lucy was criticized for the Cavett appearance especially for the way she was sitting. People thought she did not like Cavett. Lucy said she loved Dick Cavett and that the studio air conditioner was blowing the feathers from her coat into her mouth. I think she was especially tired when she did this interview. She was doing a lot of Mame promotion including an early morning interview on Today that day. Lucy is much more lively in her 1971 interview on Cavett with Lucy and Carol.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 1:49 PM, tropicjeff said:

I was watching the interview Lucy did with Dick Cavett on his show in 1974 for Mame. She didn't seem to be too interested in being there. They showed a couple of clips from I Love Lucy and Cavett was explaining why they could only show a minute long clip and that the were shown courtesy of Viacom. Lucy shrugged her shoulders with a look of "who cares."  She gave some very curt answers. I wanted to say "come on Lucy!" Anyhow, Cavett was gracious and she said she enjoyed it when it was all over. She definitely didn't want to act the happy guest and seemed really disinterested in the whole affair.

I've seen several people make this comment about that interview.  I've watched it several times and don't get at all what people are talking about.  I do know from what I've read, which HarryCarter has posted about here, that she was very tired during this interview due to extensive travel and promotion for Mame.  I know what it's like to be forced to work when I'm tired.  Even the best actor can't pull off a lively performance when they are desperate for sleep.  As for her shrugging her shoulders at the "I Love Lucy" clip, I took that as an "I don't know," not an "I don't care."  Throughout the interview, she seemed pleasant to me and was very complimentary towards Cavett.  She just didn't have a lot of energy.  That's human.

10 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

I've noticed in interviews some hosts tend to linger on details too long and Lucy gets her "who cares" out. I get it. It was a long time ago and why are we fixated on something that doesn't matter. Let's move on and have some lively discussion. 

BEAUTIFULLY SAID, WOMAN :D

I Thank you for doing so....

HATE TO QUOTE SOMEONE I REALLY DON'T CARE TO EVER MENTION; BUT,

'AT THIS POINT, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE????'

WE'VE BEEN KNOWN HERE, AT TIMES, TO BEAT A SIMPLE MATTER TO THE MAX . . . just sayin'....  

"Let's move on and have some lively discussion."

I meant that as it's what Lucy was implying on those interviews. She didn't want to waste time talking about dumb details of the past. She wanted to talk more about the new and now.

As for this this discussion I think it's great. Love watching interviews with Lucy as we get so many versions of her, but they are all her. I don't think we've beat this to death at all. Very worthy of discussion.