Bob Schiller has died at 98

Brock

There are so few opportunities in this world to be in the presence of true genius, but I certainly felt like I was at this very moment in August 2006. It's not something I ever took for granted; I wanted time to slow to a crawl so I could take in every word he said. After all, just about everything he committed to paper became an indelible part of so many of our lives – even if you don't realize it. Joining the merry band of three with his writing partner, the quintet somehow bottled magic, brought to life by an incomparably talented quartet, which continues to delight and transfix new generations over sixty years later. One by one, over the passage of time, this quintet dwindled away until he was the very last torchbearer of something we're not likely to ever see again. As he approached his century and experienced myriad health problems we all knew time was limited but even as that chapter closed today I can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of loss; loss not for a life which was, to all accounts, exceedingly well lived, but for a time, a place, and an exceptional category of brilliance which just drifted into the ether. But, my god, what a legacy he and his colleagues have left behind. Rest in peace, Bob Schiller.

IMG_3844.JPG

• Like 3

Although he lived a very long life, this makes me very sad.  Thank you, Neil, for making it possible for me to spend an afternoon with this wonderful, kind gentleman.  That's a day I will never forget.  I had a note or two from him afterwards.  He was most gracious.  The word genius is way overused, but I think he earned it.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 9:50 PM, LittleRickyII said:

Although he lived a very long life, this makes me very sad.  Thank you, Neil, for making it possible for me to spend an afternoon with this wonderful, kind gentleman.  That's a day I will never forget.  I had a note or two from him afterwards.  He was most gracious.  The word genius is way overused, but I think he earned it.

Yes, I was thinking of that meeting we had.  Wasn't it at some sort of "club"?

I got to meet them all and have great memories.  When I started stalking the writers, they were living in relative anonymity.  Their addresses were in the phone book!

On 10/10/2017 at 1:57 PM, Brock said:

Impressive yes, but still sad. Literally the last of a very unique group of people who have had such an indelible impact on our lives.

Note the error in this obit:  If only it were true!

"the duo developed The Lucy Show and had a hand in every one of that comedy's 156 episodes from 1962-68."

I'm so glad Desi talked the writers into returning to Lucy.  Had "The Lucy Show" not started out with such strong writing, I wonder if it would have been as big a hit as it was.   The subsequent writers were never able to capture the Lucy character and make her a real person.  (I'll give an exception to Bob O'Brien who wrote a handful of good ones)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neil said:

Yes, I was thinking of that meeting we had.  Wasn't it at some sort of "club"?

I got to meet them all and have great memories.  When I started stalking the writers, they were living in relative anonymity.  Their addresses were in the phone book!

Some sort of club? :) That would be the Riviera Country Club where he treated us to lunch.  That's more than some sort of club, especially when Johnny Mathis approaches your table! And that was after spending hours in his library at his house asking questions and perusing his TV scripts.  Like I said, generous!  And thank you again for that wonderul opportunity.  It's amazing that those folks allowed their phone numbers to be listed in phone books when millions of viewers (strangers) were seeing their names in closing credits every day.

• Like 1