Lucy on The Jackie Gleason Show on DVD

HarryCarter

Time Life is realizing a "Jackie Gleason Show in Color" DVD set (price: $100) and Jackie's 50th birthday show with Lucy as a guest is featured. I hope the discs are eventually sold individually. 

https://timelife.com/products/the-jackie-gleason-show-in-color?utm_medium=affil&utm_source=ebay&utm_campaign=Y81GAFFXXX&affiliate_id=157601&click_id=2102960125&utm_content=157601

2 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

Time Life is realizing a "Jackie Gleason Show in Color" DVD set (price: $100) and Jackie's 50th birthday show with Lucy as a guest is featured. I hope the discs are eventually sold individually. 

https://timelife.com/products/the-jackie-gleason-show-in-color?utm_medium=affil&utm_source=ebay&utm_campaign=Y81GAFFXXX&affiliate_id=157601&click_id=2102960125&utm_content=157601

How is it that I never knew she was a guest on Jackie Gleason's show?

19 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

I think Lucy might have just done a cameo. Lucy also appeared on an episode of the 1950s Jackie Gleason Show with Desi, but Gleason wasn't on the show that week. It was a tribute to Eddie Cantor. 

Well I didn't know about that one, either.  Interesting that Gleason was absent from his own show -- kind of like Carson in the '80s/early '90s with all his guest hosts.

19 hours ago, LittleRickyII said:

Well I didn't know about that one, either.  Interesting that Gleason was absent from his own show -- kind of like Carson in the '80s/early '90s with all his guest hosts.

And like Sammy Davis, Jr. who had a short-lived mid-season entry variety show in 1965 or 66.  Due to some contractual conflict, he was absent as host from his own show for several weeks!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just like with their releases of Carol Burnett and Red Skelton, Time/Life is putting out a cheapo, single-disc release of The Jackie Gleason Show containing four episodes, but I haven't been able to find out if Lucy is included. 

I was perusing Gleason's Wikipedia page yesterday and noticed something odd. Three for Two is mentioned twice- both times it's cited incorrectly. The page has a publicity photo of Lucy and Jackie saying that it's from their TV special "Tea For Two".:lucydaze: Farther down, in his filmography, it calls the special "Two for Three"! Ay yi yi yi yi!

Lucy did a lot of "exchange appearances" so it's odd that she was never on Gleason or Red Skelton's show, especially the latter.

I'm not familiar with Jackie's show outside of the Honeymooners so I don't know if it was a standard variety show with guest stars.  

Granted, Gleason's Here's Lucy appearance was only a cameo, but STILL.....and by the time of 3 for 2, he no longer had his show. 

8 hours ago, Neil said:

Lucy did a lot of "exchange appearances" so it's odd that she was never on Gleason or Red Skelton's show, especially the latter.

I'm not familiar with Jackie's show outside of the Honeymooners so I don't know if it was a standard variety show with guest stars.  

Granted, Gleason's Here's Lucy appearance was only a cameo, but STILL.....and by the time of 3 for 2, he no longer had his show. 

PLUS Jackie and Red were both on CBS as well- with Red even occasionally outperforming Lucy in the ratings throughout the sixties- not by much, but certainly an impressive feat!