Sign in to follow this  
LittleRickyII

Rose Marie weighs in on Harvey Weinstein

LittleRickyII    297

I wasn't expecting to hear from Rose Marie in the midst of this scandal, but good for her!  She says she was a victim herself, and that scenes she did for a movie back in the '50s were cut out because she wouldn't put out for one of the producers.  So is that what it took to make it big in movies, and even now?   Is that why Rose Marie was never a big movie musical star?  And those women who were big movie musical stars, did they have to put out to get there?  Marilyn Monroe's housekeeper reportedly said that Marilyn told her there is no difference between a movie star and a whore.  It's obviously these powerful men (bullies) who put them in that position.  It's so sad that all these generations of woman have been put in a position where their talent was not enough for them to get the recognition and success they deserved.  I love Alfred Hitchcock films, but apparently he was not much better than Weinstein when it comes to this stuff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/will-flood-weinstein-accusers-bring-sweeping-change-hollywood-n810701

• Like 1

HarryCarter    827

Rose Marie had costarred with Phil Silvers in the Broadway musical Top Banana. When the show was turned into a movie Rose Marie's songs were cut. Rose Marie had previously written about this in her memoir. Here is something I find very interesting. Rose Marie writes glowingly of costar Phil Silvers in her book and how sweet he was to her and her young daughter. When Top Banana ended its Broadway run and went on the national tour, Kaye Ballard took over for Rose Marie. In her autobiography, Kaye writes about how awful Phil Silvers was. She claims he treated her badly because he propositioned her and she rejected him. It's fascinating to read these two different accounts.

• Like 1

Freddie2    688

It was interesting to hear from Rose Marie on this topic. Apparently it’s discussed in her new movie, which is supposed to be terrific! Her Twitter activity is a mix of showbiz reminisces and Tweets of love sent by her celebrity fans. Highly recommended.

upperco    62

I saw the film's first screening back in August. You'll want to see it for the home movie footage alone. And, yes, TOP BANANA is highlighted! 

• Like 1

HarryCarter    827
54 minutes ago, upperco said:

I saw the film's first screening back in August. You'll want to see it for the home movie footage alone. And, yes, TOP BANANA is highlighted! 

Groovy! It is being released in New York at the beginning of next month and I'm very excited.

I wonder if the Kaye Ballard documentary will discuss Kaye's experience with Top Banana. 

• Like 1

Freddie2    688
26 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

Groovy! It is being released in New York at the beginning of next month and I'm very excited.

I wonder if the Kaye Ballard documentary will discuss Kaye's experience with Top Banana. 

There’s a Kaye Ballard documentary? Hot dog!!!

Freddie2    688

Regarding the actual Weinstein controversy, I find it ironic that people are expecting a change in the industry even though one of the main figures asked to comment on the situation was Woody Allen. Woody Allen.

Luvsbway    1,713

I read that Paige article last week. Sadly I think there are hundreds of these stories from then and the old Hollywood days. Glad to see some from that era are telling those stories.