Rose Marie weighs in on Harvey Weinstein

LittleRickyII

I wasn't expecting to hear from Rose Marie in the midst of this scandal, but good for her!  She says she was a victim herself, and that scenes she did for a movie back in the '50s were cut out because she wouldn't put out for one of the producers.  So is that what it took to make it big in movies, and even now?   Is that why Rose Marie was never a big movie musical star?  And those women who were big movie musical stars, did they have to put out to get there?  Marilyn Monroe's housekeeper reportedly said that Marilyn told her there is no difference between a movie star and a whore.  It's obviously these powerful men (bullies) who put them in that position.  It's so sad that all these generations of woman have been put in a position where their talent was not enough for them to get the recognition and success they deserved.  I love Alfred Hitchcock films, but apparently he was not much better than Weinstein when it comes to this stuff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/will-flood-weinstein-accusers-bring-sweeping-change-hollywood-n810701

• Like 1

Rose Marie had costarred with Phil Silvers in the Broadway musical Top Banana. When the show was turned into a movie Rose Marie's songs were cut. Rose Marie had previously written about this in her memoir. Here is something I find very interesting. Rose Marie writes glowingly of costar Phil Silvers in her book and how sweet he was to her and her young daughter. When Top Banana ended its Broadway run and went on the national tour, Kaye Ballard took over for Rose Marie. In her autobiography, Kaye writes about how awful Phil Silvers was. She claims he treated her badly because he propositioned her and she rejected him. It's fascinating to read these two different accounts.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, upperco said:

I saw the film's first screening back in August. You'll want to see it for the home movie footage alone. And, yes, TOP BANANA is highlighted! 

Groovy! It is being released in New York at the beginning of next month and I'm very excited.

I wonder if the Kaye Ballard documentary will discuss Kaye's experience with Top Banana. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brock said:

Well, if any good has come out of this, those of us advocating for Mame '74 can now point to Dame Ange being "problematic": https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/11/28/angela-lansbury-talks-sexual-harassment-women-must-sometimes-take-blame/900780001/

:huh: 

I...really don't know what to make of this. A very peculiar statement, no question.

Lemme tell ya, when I saw that Angie Lans was trending on Twitter, I was just relieved to see that she wasn’t dead. I’ve read her full comments from the interview and (as usual) the big picture is a lot less damning. In this day and age, we’ve got much bigger fish to fry than a 92 year-old superstar and her questionable social commentary. If Angela Lansbury wants to stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody, I won’t enjoy her body of work any less.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Miss Mamie Van Doren posted the following on Facebook today:

Does anyone remember Bob Hope? I was just the right age for Mr Hope....16. Because I turned him down he would never invite me to work with him.

Bob Hope made millions of dollars off entertaining the troops. Those tours were sold to NBC. He never did anything for the good of anyone else. He had side pieces tucked away in bungalows all over L.A. He once told Barbara Peyton that she needed a new mattress, and if she didn't get one he wouldn't fuck her anymore. Miraculously, he paid for it. That said, he was the most tightfisted asshole in Hollywood. Delores was complicit too. She knew what he was doing and looked the other way. It saved wear and tear on her.

Worst of all, he wasn't funny. He was surrounded by writers all the time, and couldn't be funny without them.

Can you tell I didn't like him?

Most of the time he wasn’t funny with his writers! Bob seems like a total reprehensible asshole, but the stories about his awful antics are funny. Well, he was pals with Lucy, and he certainly never crossed the line with her.

I literally cannot picture what Mamie Van Doren would’ve looked like at 16.

Bob's rep was known about for years. I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing some old Milton stories come out too.

I've been watching the new Amazon series The Marvelous Mrs Maisel set in 1958 and cracked up when her manager was getting thrown out of the Friers Club. "Why don't you get Milton Berle to swing his dick and knock me out in the street." That's a guy I never found funny and yet one not only did Lucy like she dated in her starlet days.

I wonder though if Bob did cross a line with Lucy but one she didn't seem to care about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I saw a preview of the new Bob Hope American Masters documentary that is airing in the few weeks. To illustrate how Bob was not keeping up with the changing times they showed an outtake from a 1971 Bob Hope special monologue. The punchline of the joke was "Mamie Van Doren," which was greeted with complete silence from the audience. Shocked, Bob says, "Nobody here knows who Mamie Van Doren is?! Nobody?" Still complete silence from the audience. I think it speaks more about Mamie's star power in 1971 if Bob Hope's older audience was clueless about her. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Count me as another who never found Bob Hope funny.  His success and long career have always been a complete mystery to me.  I've tried to watch some of his old movies from during his heyday, but I find them painfully boring.  His delivery leaves me cold.  And his TV specials that were on when I was growing up were consistently awful -- corny and unfunny.  He was supposedly Johnny Carson's least favorite guest.  Carson had hundreds of guests on his show, so that's saying something!  As for his reputation, this may have been mentioned before, but a guy who researched him and wrote a biography of him a few years ago confirmed that Hope had been married to another woman prior to marrying Delores (something Hope had denied).  And not only that, Hope was still married to that first wife during a period of time when he claimed he was already married to Delores.  And this biographer was unable to find any evidence Hope was ever actually married to Delores!  Very bizarre.  

On 12/8/2017 at 9:58 AM, Brock said:

Miss Mamie Van Doren posted the following on Facebook today:

Does anyone remember Bob Hope? I was just the right age for Mr Hope....16. Because I turned him down he would never invite me to work with him.

Bob Hope made millions of dollars off entertaining the troops. Those tours were sold to NBC. He never did anything for the good of anyone else. He had side pieces tucked away in bungalows all over L.A. He once told Barbara Peyton that she needed a new mattress, and if she didn't get one he wouldn't fuck her anymore. Miraculously, he paid for it. That said, he was the most tightfisted asshole in Hollywood. Delores was complicit too. She knew what he was doing and looked the other way. It saved wear and tear on her.

Worst of all, he wasn't funny. He was surrounded by writers all the time, and couldn't be funny without them.

Can you tell I didn't like him?

Reading Mamie's fine print without my glasses, I thought she wrote Barbara Pepper instead of Barbara Peyton!

• Haha 2