2017 Color I Love Lucy Christmas episode - The Fashion Show!

Luvsbway

29 minutes ago, Freddie2 said:

The shot of Lucy on the phone in The Don Loper Salon is terrifically framed.

The color Dick Van Dyke episodes always look much better than ILL, I don’t know why they turn out so much better. It’s nice that Carl Reiner chose two of Mary’s best episodes in light of her passing this year.

DVD did look nicer. I did not like the color scheme that much I thought it was too much for me. Too much green even though the green wall leading to the bedroom wasn't really green. The kitchen was too blue. Last years color eps of the kitchen was spot on and looked nicer. Although Mary and Dicks skin color was well done. 

Thank heavens they didn't cut out pink mink. I would have died if they did just died! (Insert pic of Natalie Schaefer)

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 6:19 PM, Neil said:

I know they have to cut things here and there but if they cut Don Loper's look-to-the-heavens introduction of Mrs. Richard Carlson, I'll die. I'll REALLY DIE.

Well, I didn't die....but when I realized it had been cut, I pitched a short fit.   I suspected that Mrs. C would be cut.  Of all the celebrities, he is the least remembered.  But the colorization was so great, I forgave them.  Really, the fashion colors were so well done, when 30 years ago at the start of colorizing, they would have been more garish.  

Ditto the Dick Van Dyke colorizing.  No one who didn't know would suspect that these were not shot in color in the first place.   Didn't the cast do an Alan Brady Christmas show once?  I'm surprised they haven't picked that one yet.

I wonder what color Lucy and Ethel's outfits really were when they first visited the dress shop? Wasn't wild about the color scheme but the actual outfits might have been muted colors. I wonder if the Loper dresses were the actual colors and not just drab to show up better on film? Is Irish tweed really that mossy green? Yeah was disappointed when they cut out Richard Carlson. Could not stop laughing at Ethel's loud GASP! when she saw the tag. Her timing is impeccable. 

Next, Bon Voyage! Blue sky, blue water, white ship, charcoal gray jumpsuit . . . wish they could colorize some season 1 TLS episodes too. We know her nightgown in Sheep is purple, and the kitchen walls are YELLOW (as seen in the color publicity photo of Lucy's Sister Pays a Visit.) There's also a color photo of Lucy in the Antenna episode on the DVD menu. And we all know Viv bought new GOOOOLD ornaments in the Christmas one! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neil said:

Ditto the Dick Van Dyke colorizing.  No one who didn't know would suspect that these were not shot in color in the first place.   Didn't the cast do an Alan Brady Christmas show once?  I'm surprised they haven't picked that one yet.

I love The Dick Van Dyke Show Christmas episode, but it's almost entirely music. I'm sure they figure audiences want to see more comedy (which is probably why the already colorized Lucy Goes to Scotland has never aired on CBS). 

19 hours ago, chedderchester said:

I wonder what color Lucy and Ethel's outfits really were when they first visited the dress shop? Wasn't wild about the color scheme but the actual outfits might have been muted colors. I wonder if the Loper dresses were the actual colors and not just drab to show up better on film? Is Irish tweed really that mossy green? Yeah was disappointed when they cut out Richard Carlson. Could not stop laughing at Ethel's loud GASP! when she saw the tag. Her timing is impeccable. 

Next, Bon Voyage! Blue sky, blue water, white ship, charcoal gray jumpsuit . . . wish they could colorize some season 1 TLS episodes too. We know her nightgown in Sheep is purple, and the kitchen walls are YELLOW (as seen in the color publicity photo of Lucy's Sister Pays a Visit.) There's also a color photo of Lucy in the Antenna episode on the DVD menu. And we all know Viv bought new GOOOOLD ornaments in the Christmas one! 

Not sure about Ethels clothes but Lucy's dress was exact. The Irish Tweed suit was actually green and the models dresses were spot on considering that Don Loper was saying the colors as they walked the runway. And the green bath robe is the same.

IMG_0244.jpg

The Christmas Show was #13 in the ratings for the week, amazingly good for a Friday/Saturday when network viewership is at its lowest.  It was #6 among scripted shows, excluding sports, reality and competition shows.  Dick Van Dyke came in at #18.   So we're bound to see more.  I nominate "The Operetta" for the next one.  But if they have to choose 2 that have a similar theme, I don't know what the other one should be (please not "Little Ricky's Pagaent").    Or maybe "Lucy Makes Room for Danny" to fill up a whole hour.   Others that would be good "Ricky Wants a Raise" so we can see Frawley's ruby red lips, "Million Dollar Idea" or "Staten Island Ferry" just to name a few off the top of my head that hold up extremely well. 

• Brock unpinned this topic