Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brock

Vicki Lawrence headlines FOX pilot

Recommended Posts

Freddie2    795

It’s weird to think that they’re all retirement age! Also, I LOVE the showrunners! I think this is their first venture outside of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Here’s hoping it goes well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brock    3,299

The Cool Kids aired in Canada on Wednesday. I watched it last night and would be curious about everyone's impressions. It had a few good laughs, but it seemed a bit sterile and overrehearsed to me, but I will watch the second episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,405
1 hour ago, Brock said:

The Cool Kids aired in Canada on Wednesday. I watched it last night and would be curious about everyone's impressions. It had a few good laughs, but it seemed a bit sterile and overrehearsed to me, but I will watch the second episode.

I've only seen the trailer, but that's close to the impression I got. It looked moderately amusing, and it's got a great cast, but it had that plastic feeling so many new multicams have. I certainly want to give it a chance, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luvsbway    1,940
23 hours ago, Brock said:

The Cool Kids aired in Canada on Wednesday. I watched it last night and would be curious about everyone's impressions. It had a few good laughs, but it seemed a bit sterile and overrehearsed to me, but I will watch the second episode.

Leslie and Vicki I think are the standouts. It feels a bit stiff but you have to do a lot in a pilot, so hoping it loosens up a bit. I did lol a few times. It's got promoise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeySoCal    999

Watched it too, and liked it but didn't LOVE it as I was hoping to, given the talent involved.

One thing I noticed was that Vicki Lawrence seemed, to me, to be trying to "hold back" or not go over the top, perhaps concerned she'd slip into "Mama mode" ...which actually, IMHO hurt the portrayal a bit of the character she was playing.  Martin Mull to me was the standout, with Leslie Jordan well, basically playing Leslie Jordan and David Allen Grier doing their usual shtick.

Given this was just the pilot/first episode, inevitably "kinks" could conceivably be worked out.

Curiously (and inexplicably to me, given the set up), Audiences Unlimited has just updated their site that the show will no longer shoot with a live audience, which to me is a huge mistake and will adversely affect the end product, especially if they are going to keep  the multi-cam format and insert a laugh track but then I can't imagine it as a single-camera sitcom either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luvsbway    1,940
35 minutes ago, JoeySoCal said:

Watched it too, and liked it but didn't LOVE it as I was hoping to, given the talent involved.

One thing I noticed was that Vicki Lawrence seemed, to me, to be trying to "hold back" or not go over the top, perhaps concerned she'd slip into "Mama mode" ...which actually, IMHO hurt the portrayal a bit of the character she was playing.  Martin Mull to me was the standout, with Leslie Jordan well, basically playing Leslie Jordan and David Allen Grier doing their usual shtick.

Given this was just the pilot/first episode, inevitably "kinks" could conceivably be worked out.

Curiously (and inexplicably to me, given the set up), Audiences Unlimited has just updated their site that the show will no longer shoot with a live audience, which to me is a huge mistake and will adversely affect the end product, especially if they are going to keep  the multi-cam format and insert a laugh track but then I can't imagine it as a single-camera sitcom either.

Shooting without an audience does make me question if it's changing to single cam. I feel like the shows now that shoot with one like to make that fact known.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,405
14 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Shooting without an audience does make me question if it's changing to single cam. I feel like the shows now that shoot with one like to make that fact known.

I've noticed that, too. Most multicams today have put the old "...is recorded before a live audience" disclaimer back into action, which was largely phased out after the 80s.

It's strange seeing shows like Will & Grace with that announcement, given it was never used during the original run.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeySoCal    999
22 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Shooting without an audience does make me question if it's changing to single cam. I feel like the shows now that shoot with one like to make that fact known.

Agreed. Can't see how it's going to "help" the show, given its format as its going to lose a lot of it's "energy" (as most would) without the presence of the audience, and I can't see it being quite the same one-camera. Weird. :vanda:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brock    3,299

The second episode inched closer to finding its groove, but it’s not quite there yet. Much improved though. Vicki had a few great moments. Overall though I’d be perfectly fine if they phased Leslie Jordan out of this entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,405
5 hours ago, Brock said:

Overall though I’d be perfectly fine if they phased Leslie Jordan out of this entirely. 

I get the impression, from what I've seen of his work, that he might be more palatable in smaller doses. Maybe as a weekly character he's a bit much to take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luvsbway    1,940
9 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

I get the impression, from what I've seen of his work, that he might be more palatable in smaller doses. Maybe as a weekly character he's a bit much to take?

That's pretty much how he was used on Will and Grace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,405
1 hour ago, Luvsbway said:

That's pretty much how he was used on Will and Grace. 

Right, and the idea of his character there appearing every week does not appeal. I think some actors/characters are simply best suited to recurring roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,405

I finally got around to watching the pilot. Overall, I quite liked it. I can't say I laughed out loud that much, but I certainly giggled a lot. The characters and premise have a lot of potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I especially loved Grier's line about accidentally brushing up against a ta-ta these days nabbing you six years in prison.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,405

Loved the second episode. The pilot was good, but this outing showed a definite improvement. It felt so good to laugh at something new for a change.

While Leslie Jordan is essentially playing a (slightly) less bitchy version of his W&G character, I'm enjoying his contribution. Loved Vicki's "P Booze & J" sandwiches. I may have to try one of those someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luvsbway    1,940

I was told this weekend that laundry would not be put away until there was no Mama's Family on in the bedroom. I guess Golden Girls is the limit for my husband and chores around my TV viewing.

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,405

I like it when Ken writes posts like this. As much as I enjoy what he has to say, he can sometimes come across a bit cynical and judgmental, IMO. I appreciate it when he dials down the snark and can admit to changing his previously held opinions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mot Morenzi    1,405

It was wonderful seeing Charles Shaughnessy and Julia Duffy back on television in the last episode, along with the hysterical Jamie Farr. What a delightful Thanksgiving episode.

I'm very pleased this season had its order expanded; such good news that Fox is giving it a chance. No, it may not be in the same league as the classics that came before, but compared to other "new" shows it's pure gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×