Vicki Lawrence headlines FOX pilot

Brock

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Brock said:

The Cool Kids aired in Canada on Wednesday. I watched it last night and would be curious about everyone's impressions. It had a few good laughs, but it seemed a bit sterile and overrehearsed to me, but I will watch the second episode.

I've only seen the trailer, but that's close to the impression I got. It looked moderately amusing, and it's got a great cast, but it had that plastic feeling so many new multicams have. I certainly want to give it a chance, though.

23 hours ago, Brock said:

The Cool Kids aired in Canada on Wednesday. I watched it last night and would be curious about everyone's impressions. It had a few good laughs, but it seemed a bit sterile and overrehearsed to me, but I will watch the second episode.

Leslie and Vicki I think are the standouts. It feels a bit stiff but you have to do a lot in a pilot, so hoping it loosens up a bit. I did lol a few times. It's got promoise. 

Watched it too, and liked it but didn't LOVE it as I was hoping to, given the talent involved.

One thing I noticed was that Vicki Lawrence seemed, to me, to be trying to "hold back" or not go over the top, perhaps concerned she'd slip into "Mama mode" ...which actually, IMHO hurt the portrayal a bit of the character she was playing.  Martin Mull to me was the standout, with Leslie Jordan well, basically playing Leslie Jordan and David Allen Grier doing their usual shtick.

Given this was just the pilot/first episode, inevitably "kinks" could conceivably be worked out.

Curiously (and inexplicably to me, given the set up), Audiences Unlimited has just updated their site that the show will no longer shoot with a live audience, which to me is a huge mistake and will adversely affect the end product, especially if they are going to keep  the multi-cam format and insert a laugh track but then I can't imagine it as a single-camera sitcom either.

35 minutes ago, JoeySoCal said:

Watched it too, and liked it but didn't LOVE it as I was hoping to, given the talent involved.

One thing I noticed was that Vicki Lawrence seemed, to me, to be trying to "hold back" or not go over the top, perhaps concerned she'd slip into "Mama mode" ...which actually, IMHO hurt the portrayal a bit of the character she was playing.  Martin Mull to me was the standout, with Leslie Jordan well, basically playing Leslie Jordan and David Allen Grier doing their usual shtick.

Given this was just the pilot/first episode, inevitably "kinks" could conceivably be worked out.

Curiously (and inexplicably to me, given the set up), Audiences Unlimited has just updated their site that the show will no longer shoot with a live audience, which to me is a huge mistake and will adversely affect the end product, especially if they are going to keep  the multi-cam format and insert a laugh track but then I can't imagine it as a single-camera sitcom either.

Shooting without an audience does make me question if it's changing to single cam. I feel like the shows now that shoot with one like to make that fact known.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Shooting without an audience does make me question if it's changing to single cam. I feel like the shows now that shoot with one like to make that fact known.

I've noticed that, too. Most multicams today have put the old "...is recorded before a live audience" disclaimer back into action, which was largely phased out after the 80s.

It's strange seeing shows like Will & Grace with that announcement, given it was never used during the original run.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Agreed. Can't see how it's going to "help" the show, given its format as its going to lose a lot of it's "energy" (as most would) without the presence of the audience, and I can't see it being quite the same one-camera. Weird. :vanda:

I finally got around to watching the pilot. Overall, I quite liked it. I can't say I laughed out loud that much, but I certainly giggled a lot. The characters and premise have a lot of potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I especially loved Grier's line about accidentally brushing up against a ta-ta these days nabbing you six years in prison.

• Like 1

Loved the second episode. The pilot was good, but this outing showed a definite improvement. It felt so good to laugh at something new for a change.

While Leslie Jordan is essentially playing a (slightly) less bitchy version of his W&G character, I'm enjoying his contribution. Loved Vicki's "P Booze & J" sandwiches. I may have to try one of those someday.

• 1 month later...

It was wonderful seeing Charles Shaughnessy and Julia Duffy back on television in the last episode, along with the hysterical Jamie Farr. What a delightful Thanksgiving episode.

I'm very pleased this season had its order expanded; such good news that Fox is giving it a chance. No, it may not be in the same league as the classics that came before, but compared to other "new" shows it's pure gold.